July 2, 2008 -
June 29, 2008 - We've just updated our DVDizzy.com DVD and Blu-ray Schedules for the upcoming months of July, August, and September. In addition, June's releases have been archived along with the entire previous year's offerings. Check them all out at DVDizzy.com.
In the six years since Disney released Schoolhouse Rock!: Special 30th Anniversary Edition, the two-disc set has remained a fixture among best-selling DVDs, bouncing in and out of Amazon's Top 100. With practically every song available at a reasonable price, the studio has resisted the urge to revisit the edutaining musical series. On September 23rd, that will change with the release of new DVD Schoolhouse Rock!: Election Collection. The 49-minute disc will supply 14 songs about government, American history, and the electoral process including the all-new "Presidential Minute." The foil slipcovered, FastPlay-"enhanced" DVD ($19.99 list price) will also contain an interactive election tracking kit with map and stickers. The Election Collection is now available for pre-order at 30% off.
June 27, 2008 - Our newest DVD review looks at City of Men, the recent Brazilian drama that follows a TV series in story and the award-winning City of God in spirit. The tale of two 18-year-olds pondering paternity amidst street gang warfare comes to DVD next Tuesday from Miramax, joined by an inclusive featurette. Full review.
June 23, 2008 - Just posted: Kelvin Cedeno's review of "Army Wives": The Complete First Season. This hour-long ABC/Lifetime drama looks at life for four women and one man whose spouses are serving in the U.S. Army. In the 3-disc set, the 13 Season 1 episodes are joined by five audio commentaries, deleted scenes, bloopers, a cast Q & A session, and a featurette on an Army wives charity. More...
June 22, 2008 - We've just posted our review of The Spiderwick Chronicles: 2-Disc Field Guide Edition DVD, available this week from Paramount and Nickelodeon. Adapted from the recent series of children's books, this PG-rated fantasy stars Freddie Highmore as two of three siblings whose new home becomes the site of fantastic happenings involving feisty goblins, an evil ogre, a temperamental brownie, and a slobbery hobgoblin. The film co-stars Sarah Bolger, Mary-Louise Parker, Nick Nolte, David Strathairn, and features the voices of Martin Short, Seth Rogen, and Ron Perlman. The set's extras include an interactive Field Guide to the fantastic, 5 distinct featurettes, deleted scenes, trailers and TV spots. Read the full review.
June 21, 2008 - New Disney DVDs have been made available for preorder at Amazon.com. The promoted rerelease of 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure has been slated for September 12th where it will be joined by its long-out-of-print brethren, 1996's live-action hit 101 Dalmatians and its 2000 sequel 102 Dalmatians. No information is yet available on the live-action films, which star Glenn Close as Cruella De Vil. Also up are late summer Playhouse Disney discs "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse": Mickey's Storybook Surprises and "My Friends Tigger & Pooh": Hundred Acre Wood, arriving on September 2nd.
June 20, 2008 - Our newest DVD review looks at "Early Edition": The First Season. The hour-long 1990s drama centers on Gary Hobson (Kyle Chandler), a Chicago resident who receives his newspaper a day early and uses the foreknowledge to help fellow citizens narrowly avoid death and disaster. That creative premise is brought to life in upbeat fashion, yielding a fun show that continues to earn high regard despite a modest viewership in its four-season run on CBS. Paramount's 6-disc set includes episode promos. Read the full review.
June 17, 2008 - Don't forget to check out our guide to today's new DVD and Blu-ray releases on DVDizzy.com's Schedule.
Kelvin Cedeno reviews The Jungle Book 2: Special Edition, Disney's new DVD release of 2003's theatrically released sequel to the 1967 animated classic. Picking up just after Mowgli's return to man village, the follow-up brings back most of the original's colorful characters with new songs, a noteworthy voice cast, and passable animation. The disc is virtually identical to the one released five years ago, adding a mere set-top game, slipcover, and some Disney Movie Rewards. Read on...
June 11, 2008 - Our latest review looks at The Other Boleyn Girl, the theatrical filming of Philippa Gregory's 2002 novel now available on DVD and Blu-ray from Sony. Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson play Anne and Mary Boleyn, sisters who both enter into close relationships with English monarch Henry VIII (Eric Bana). As far as period dramas go, this isn't awards bait but an accessible character study able to sustain interest even in viewers opposed to the genre. The disc includes a dozen deleted/extended scenes, an audio commentary by director Justin Chadwick (a TV veteran making his feature debut), profiles of six members of the Royal Court, and two featurettes. Read the full review.
June 6, 2008 - Disney has released information on The Nightmare Before Christmas: Collector's Edition. Both the 2-disc DVD and Blu-ray versions will serve up the Tim Burton shorts Frankenweenie (uncut, with new introduction) and Vincent; Burton's original poem narrated by actor Christopher Lee; an audio commentary with producer Burton, director Henry Selick, and composer Danny Elfman; a making-of documentary; deleted scenes and test footage; and the new feature "Jack's Haunted Mansion Holiday Tour." A third version, dubbed The Ultimate Collector's Set ($179.99 SRP) will serve up the two DVDs, a booklet containing the original poem, a letter of authenticity, and an individually numbered, hand-painted Jack Skellington bust with sound bytes from the film and a removable "Sandy Claws" hat/beard. While apparently dropping the obligatory eye-catching foil packaging, the Collector's Set will introduce on a third disc Disneyfile, the studio's initial foray into the increasingly common Digital Copy. A look at the bust, discs, and accessories has been added to Upcoming Cover Art. Amazon.com is now accepting pre-orders of the DVD, Blu-ray, and Ultimate Collector's Set DVD with their usual price guarantee.
Continuing to deprive the general public of the studio's vintage family entertainment, the Disney Movie Club has just announced the Kurt Russell/Bob Crane comedy Superdad, nature adventure The Legend of Lobo, and anthology episode The Boy Who Flew With Condors as the latest Club-exclusive DVDs. The discs, all given "Wonderful World of Disney" branding, are not yet available to enroll with. Explore our full list of Disney Movie Club Exclusives (with links) or see the exclusives at Disney Movie Club while you consider joining.
Recent Disney DVD Reviews:
• "Home Improvement": The Complete Eighth Season - Before bidding farewell to the whole gang, Tim Allen's top-rated family sitcom says goodbye to middle son Randy, as Jonathan Taylor Thomas exits early in the season. Though the show is at its weakest, the low-priced, 4-disc set is sure to delight with a record 28 episodes (including the 4-part series finale), a blooper reel, and 2003's hour-long primetime retrospective special.
• "Cory in the House": Newt & Improved Edition - The second compilation devoted to the Disney Channel spin-off sitcom serves up 4 episodes and a behind-the-scenes featurette.
• "The Muppet Show": Season Three - Serves up the next 24 episodes of the syndicated late-'70s variety series with guest stars including Gilda Radner, Alice Cooper, Sylvester Stallone, and Big Bird. In addition to the more than ten hours of comedy and music the show provides, 4-disc set includes the hour-long 1968 program "The Muppets on Puppets", new featurette "A Company of Players", and vintage dog food commercials starring Rowlf the dog.
Recent Non-Disney DVD Reviews:
• Jumper - Star Wars' Hayden Christensen stars as a young man who can "jump" anywhere and anytime, powers that attract -- and defend him against -- a group of fanatical hunters (led by a silver-haired Samuel L. Jackson). This PG-13 action-fantasy comes to DVD in two separate versions, apparently composited in the screener we critique.
• Mama's Boy - Jon Heder plays a developmentally arrested 29-year-old who objects when his best friend/mother (Diane Keaton) begins dating a smarmy motivational speaker (Jeff Daniels). Warner's DVD includes two viewing formats, 4 deleted scenes, and an audio commentary by director Tim Hamilton.
• Semi-Pro - Will Ferrell stars as owner/coach/player of a low-class ABA basketball team desperate to survive a merger with the NBA. New Line's 2-Disc Unrated Let's Get Sweaty Edition offers both the foul-mouthed theatrical cut and an extended version that runs 7 minutes longer and adds a character. Extras include deleted/alternate scenes, unused improvisations, six featurettes, a music video, trailers, and a digital copy.
To subscribe to UltimateDisney.com's free newsletter and gain access to past issues, send an e-mail to UltimateDisneyfirstname.lastname@example.org or visit here.
E-mail UltimateDisney.com: tsdvd at yahoo.com
PAST NEWS UPDATES
June 1-15 Archives
May 16-31 Archives
May 1-15 Archives
April 16-30 Archives