The UK Announcement Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

OK, so now we know for sure Aladdin got the boot from the Platinum line. What's rather baffling, though, is why Buena Vista Home Entertainment UK are rereleasing the film under a new edition name (Musical Masterpiece Edition?) and, it seems, dropping all the fine bonuses bestowed on the previous 2 discer release.

Yet, this new release seems sort of different than your usual cheapo Disney rerelease job. Is it focused more on the music, instead? What's with the lyric book? And is that final cover art? If it is, then it's very odd, and I doubt it will sell well.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

OK.

To borrow a phrase from Miss Alice of Wonderland. Curioser and Curioser.

Well we know have conclusive proof that BVHE UK are completely bonkers. Not just average bonkers, but completely Bosnia Herzogivina Eurovison entry bonkers.

On the same day as the 1 Disc DVD of Aladdin comes out (July 7th 2008), The 2 Disc SE is also being re-released.

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Robin-W ... n.co.uk</a>
<a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5274751/ ... l">Play</a>

Also the Aladdin trilogy is also being released.

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Trilogy ... n.co.uk</a>
<a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5387593/ ... l">Play</a>

The Play listing for the trilogy states the trilogy boxset will be 3 discs, which I guess clears up the fact this new release is 1 disc and also the the boxset will have the new music masterpiece disc. The fact the SE is still being labelled as and SE suggests it will be 2 discs (probably) although perhaps disc one of the SE will be replaced with the new edition?

Any who knows.

Although the fact that Disney are re-releasing Aladdin now really does suggest it's not in the platinum line up any more.
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BonusMage »

Just ordered Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray :)

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/5825 ... oduct.html
GeorgeCauldron
Limited Issue

Post by GeorgeCauldron »

Aladdin didn't sell cos Americans hated anything middle eastern at the time of its release on DVD.

So that's why its been knocked off the Platinum list.

It wasn't a 'best seller'.

Red neck hicks refused to buy it cos of where it was set.

But at least they havent taken it away completely.

Japan is re-releasing it as well in August, but its just the 2 disc & Trilogy
set again.

I don't really count 101 Dalmations & Jungle Book as "Platinum" really
They're nice, but not that nice.

My kids yawned numerous times during them.

Sleeping Beauty, Fantastia, Snow White & Pinocchio are classics, with Beauty & The Beast as a modern classic.

poor Aladdin though.
" And All The Powers Of Hell! "
Dr_Cox

Post by Dr_Cox »

[quote="ichabod"]

On the same day as the 1 Disc DVD of Aladdin comes out (July 7th 2008), The 2 Disc SE is also being re-released.

quote]

What happened to the 2 disc re - release? All they had in town were the "Musical materpiece" 1 disc edition, with that hideous cover art *Shudders*
Gutted... :( :cry:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This is going to make me sound like a complete twit, but I really want to buy this, see what on earth Disney means by this 'Musical Masterpiece Edition', then take it back and swap it for something else. I just want to see how Disney can get away with marketing one of their greatest movies of all time in such a silly way. :?
Dr_Cox

Post by Dr_Cox »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I just want to see how Disney can get away with marketing one of their greatest movies of all time in such a silly way. :?
I agree, it is such a shame this flm is not getting the love from Disney it deserves, I noticed how they have taken it out of their "Vault" section at Disneydvd.co.uk and put it with the other non valut "Classics".
And whats with calling it part one? ( Yeah I know the other two movies but still, can you imagine Disney calling the orignial Bambi; Bamibi volume one? Urgh
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

On taking Aladdin out of the "vaulted" classics, when I was in Borders and HMV, the copies of the new DVD had a sticker saying "Available for a limited time only". Of course, it'll still end up being available for a good few years, methinks. :roll:
cornelius
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cornelius »

I had a look at it in Asda and it just seems like such a pointless release. This will be the first classic I haven't double dipped on I think.

Snow White, the 2 Fantasias and Beauty and the Beast and I will finally be done. Come on Disney, get them back out.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Looks like Pocahonts and Mulan will be joining Aladdin as part of the Musical Masterpiece line.
snowbrow

Post by snowbrow »

Sleeping beauty now available for preorder at play

dvd £12.99
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5888271/ ... oduct.html

bluray £16.99

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/5825 ... chsource=0
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Just a heads up on some news.

A trailer for Pinocchio 70th anniversary platinum edition (Yes Disney are now just lying when it comes to dates) has been classified and should be appearing soon.

Also expect the complete first seasons of 8 Simple Rules and Hannah Montana.
cornelius
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cornelius »

ichabod wrote: A trailer for Pinocchio 70th anniversary platinum edition (Yes Disney are now just lying when it comes to dates)
That's mental. Mind you it's no more ridiculous than Sword in the Stone 45th anniversary release. I mean what's so significant about 45 years?

Disney's release patterns for the animated classics are just a pain in the neck to me.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

ichabod wrote: A trailer for Pinocchio 70th anniversary platinum edition (Yes Disney are now just lying when it comes to dates)
Yeah, Disney has gotten a little out of hand when it comes to rounding in their marketable favor. It's one thing to market a film as an "(Insert milestone year here) Anniversary Edition" when it is within a few months or so, but this "70th Anniversary Edition" will be arriving nearly one full year before the actually Anniversary. I guess a 69th Anniversary Edition wouldn't go over so well?
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Simba3 wrote:
Yeah, Disney has gotten a little out of hand when it comes to rounding in their marketable favor. It's one thing to market a film as an "(Insert milestone year here) Anniversary Edition" when it is within a few months or so, but this "70th Anniversary Edition" will be arriving nearly one full year before the actually Anniversary. I guess a 69th Anniversary Edition wouldn't go over so well?
I've always thought of it as a celebration of the film, it doesn't matter when it's released just that will celebrate it's 70th anniversary. (If that makes sense, it's hard to put into words)
cornelius
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cornelius »

cornelius wrote:I had a look at it in Asda and it just seems like such a pointless release. This will be the first classic I haven't double dipped on I think.
Actually it's starting to eat away at me a bit now. Should I buy it? Could someone who knows about such things please tell me if there is anything in the new Aladdin release which is better than the previous 2 disc one?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

cornelius wrote:Should I buy it?
No
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

No
GeorgeCauldron
Limited Issue

Post by GeorgeCauldron »

Well at least Fantasia will be an accurate 70th Anniversary Edition...

...give or take a year.

Though the 69 Edition would incite giggles from the people buying it.
" And All The Powers Of Hell! "
cornelius
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cornelius »

ichabod wrote:
No
Well that's fairly catergoric!

Seeing as I'm a bit hard up at the moment, I'll definitely be taking your advice. I had another look today in HMV, would I be right in saying that content wise there is absolutely nothing new on the DVD?