A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book Series)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Nausica's biggest fan
Limited Issue

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book Series)

Post by Nausica's biggest fan »

hi, does anyone like them? anyone have a idea of what #12 will be like I know it will be about the hotel but have know idea what it will be called it comes out oct. 18,

anythoughts

ps. i think they are better then the harry potter books but I don't want to start that up :lol:
I love Studio Ghibi, the harry potter books,mario,
disney, the simpsons, family guy, stewie, cats, and my xbox.
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Post by chaychay102royal »

:roll: They're overrated. Harry Potter is much better.

The movie is stupid. The books are overrated, but okay, but the movie is just...blah.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I love ASOUE. I love the books and the movie. I hope the 12th book comes soon. I hope for a sequel to the movie, although Entertainment Weekly says there won't be. Anyway, love the series.
cydney
Special Edition

Post by cydney »

I love these books. My mom made me read the 1st one, and after that I got hooked. I do think that the books are better then the movie, maybe it's because the movie combined three of the books and you didn't get as much from it. I hate that it takes so long for the next to come out.
I have no opinon on if they are better then the Harry Potter books, which I haven't read and am not interested in. I guess it just matters which type of stories you like.
shr_fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by shr_fan »

I can't wait for the 12th book. I'm so curious as to what it's going to be called.
I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.-Louisa May Alcott
Fee-Hee-Hee-Eny
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fee-Hee-Hee-Eny »

I just started reading Book the Eighth: The Hostile Hospital!

Love the series! And unique writing, on Snicket's part.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

My rankings of them go like this:

1. The Reptile Room
2. The Hostile Hospital
3. The Carnivorous Carnival
4. The Ersatz Elevator
5. The Slippery Slope
6. The Wide Window
7. The Austere Academy
8. The Grim Grotto
9. The Bad Beggining
10. The Vile Village
11. The Miserable Mill

(400th Post!)
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

The books are good, but not great. I really liked the movie! I think the critics were a bit harsh on it. I though it was fun! :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the books. Not more than Harry Potter, but they're up there on my list. But,I think the movie turned out WAY better than ANY of the Harry Potter movies. It was original, while still staying true to the books. The only downfall of the movie, and I saw this coming before I even watched it, was that Jim Carrey was playing Count Olaf. He plays the part of evil and stupid, but it just doesn't feel right. Like you know it's all a joke.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Fee-Hee-Hee-Eny
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fee-Hee-Hee-Eny »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I love the books. Not more than Harry Potter, but they're up there on my list. But,I think the movie turned out WAY better than ANY of the Harry Potter movies. It was original, while still staying true to the books. The only downfall of the movie, and I saw this coming before I even watched it, was that Jim Carrey was playing Count Olaf. He plays the part of evil and stupid, but it just doesn't feel right. Like you know it's all a joke.
I agree! I made the mistake of seeing the movie before reading the books, so the books were not what I expected! (I still love them, though! :D )
Disney's Divinity

Re: "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books

Post by Disney's Divinity »

A 13-episode Netflix TV series is being made of this book series. Patrick Warburton (Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove, for a Disney connection) will be playing the narrator (and Lemony Snicket), Neil Patrick Harris will play Count Olaf. Malina Weissman, Louis Hynes, and K. Todd Freeman will play Violet, Klaus, and Poe, respectively.

I'm not sure about NPH as Olaf, but I like the other actors for their parts and NPH could surprise me. I'm not sure if they're still casting, but I'll be disappointed if Sunny is excised from the story... I thought it was cute they chose 13 episodes... :P I wonder if each episode will be one book (if that's even possible)?
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I've always adored the books. What other piece of children's literature can get young people into Lolita and depressing 19th century erotica?

The movie is what got into me the books in the first place, but looking back it is...severely flawed. As has been mentioned on this thread, Carrey doesn't play it right. The tone isn't a misfire on an enormous level, but it is a misfire on a fundamental one that affects the whole film. Entertaining but not quite what Handler was doing - and the most interesting parts of the source material are replaced by some very commonplace, banal Hollywood-ing. Especially that satisfying but wrong resolution.

I am quite excited about the new adaptation, however. NPH is a good choice, I think. Whatever else it is, it'll be funny and aesthetically pleasing - and more Snicket in any form is always a joy.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Glad to see Dr Frankenollie back for now! I left you a message.

Sorry I derailed this thread, guys.