Bambi Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

I'll go first.
l would like to say that Bambi: A life in the Wood, is an excellent book despite the fact that it's mainly for children and its under 200 pages long. But no body said that a good book had to be long (its quality not quantity that matters). Now you can argue that it doesn't have to be made for children because there are some graphic details in there.

For instance (and I know I'm kinda bending my rule a little), one day Bambi wanted to meet his mother in the meadow but this buck (in the book bucks are referred to as princes) is in his way. So Bambi is afraid of him and he tries to get passed him. Once he finally gets the courage to just walk in front of him, the buck jumps out onto the meadow but then there is a loud thunder. The buck runs back into the thicket. All of the other animals run back into the forest, and then finally Bambi runs back. He sees the buck lying on the ground with blood oozing out of his side. Then the buck is motionless and Bambi realized that he is dead. I'm not sure but I think this is the first time Bambi is face with death and it seems like he takes it pretty well. Now, I just summarized in my own words what happened. To get the full story you'll have to read the book.

Stay tuned folks, there's many more where that came from. For all of you who haven't read the book, did I spark you're interest yet? If not, just wait.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Finally someone who have read the book! :D
I have read it also, but I haven´t read the second book "Bambi´s children".
In the part you mention I belive than he is not taking it so good, but he isn´t understanding what it´s happening.
Bambi in that scene it´s just a child and is exploring the world and remember than it´s on a big trouble deciding if walk and say hello,or not walk, or walk and ignore the prince,And when he finally decide what to do everything changes in a few seconds.
Bambi it´s more surprised and at the same time not-knowing what did really happened but I think he understand it later, and we can prove it on the first chapter of Bambi full grown up(I think than it´s the XV or XVI)

anyway,the book maybe it´s classified "for kids" but the story can be also enjoyed for adults and teens.
Well, I gotta go to work, bu I´ll follow this intersting topic
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Bambi had to learn many things by himself, mainly because his mother was reluctant to teach him about what happened to the prince. He even asks the Great Prince and he doesn't tell him either. They keep telling him "you will find out later." In fact, he does learn many things by himself, and some things he did learn from his ma and pa.

For instance, (adult) Bambi wakes up and he thinks he hears Faline calling him. So he gets up and starts looking for her but then the Great Prince shows up and tells him that it's not Faline. Of corse Bambi becomes very fustrated but then finds out that some things don't appear to be what he thinks should be.

While Bambi was young he learned much from his mother but as he was an adult, he learned very important things from his father. He didn't learn much from his father when he was young and that's what kinda disappoints me from the sequel Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest. This sequel will not follow the book at all.
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

For those of you who are interested in Bambi's Children, it's a hard book to find but check this out. From Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
It makes me a little nervous though because it doesn't show any pictues and I have to see what I'm gonna buy before I buy it.

They have it at eBay too with picture discriptions. I would show you it but eBay right now is being a little b^*&% to me. So I'll have to show it to you later.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Maybe this migth help:

Yeah, he learns almost everything because of his mother and the Great Prince´s advices.
Like the scene of the trails, that´s kind of funny to me :D
or the Great Prince´s word "Act bravely"--If I´m not mistaken[/i]
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

By the way, wouldm´t be nice if one of us transcript the book so that everybody could read it?
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

That's a great picture of Bambi: A Life in the Woods but I was talking about Bambi's Children.:)
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Isidour wrote:By the way, wouldm´t be nice if one of us transcript the book so that everybody could read it?
Yeah that would be nice if you can do that, go ahead.
Last edited by Zoltack on Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Well it seems like Isidour is the only other person who has read the book so we'll keep talking about that. But lets start talking about the moive. I've made it easy for everyone and I've listed suggested topics. You don't have to discuss any of these like I said they're suggested.

You can tell me about:
Your favorite character.
Your favorite scene.
What you thought about the movie in general.
The "mid-quel," or,
Ask me ANY questions you have about the movie, it's highly likely I'll be able to answer them.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

hom many draws sheets have in total? :lol:

naaa...really, have you heard the music without watching the movie before?
I mean, not relating it with the movie,just listen it. I feel like it´s very implicit the feelings and the type of emoctions than the listener migth feel, don´t you think?

By the way, I´ll be glad to do it, but I have no much time..maybe after may 21--big exam--and it´s kind of hard to--Belive me, I have already translated it and I win also 2 or 3 enemyes, but what the heck--
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Isidour wrote:hom many draws sheets have in total? :lol:

naaa...really, have you heard the music without watching the movie before?
I mean, not relating it with the movie,just listen it. I feel like it´s very implicit the feelings and the type of emoctions than the listener migth feel, don´t you think?
No, I've never heard the soundtrack to the movie because I don't have it. But I could just pop the DVD into my computer and not watch but listen to the music, but you would also hear the character's voices, dang. Oh-well.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Your favorite character - Bambi of course! He's too cute to ignore!

Your favorite scene - No doubt, when Bambi's mom gets killed. A very powerful scene, one of the most powerful in cinema history!

What you thought about the movie in general - I really love it for what it is. A simple story of a deer growing up to be a grown person. :)
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

My favorite character is of corse the Great Prince of the Forest. Fred Sheild is the voice and what is interesting to know is that he was also the guy who announced the flight of the Graf Zeplen over the U.S. He was the narator in the movie The Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos.
bambifan56
Gold Classic Collection

Bambi

Post by bambifan56 »

Hello, I'm new here to the Ultimate Disney fan board. I am a 20 yr old college football player who caught Bambi on ABC during the summer and being bored, I sat down and watched it.

I am your usual college student (party, have a girlfriend, etc..) and even though I had seen this film when I was very young, it took my breath away. I found it to be brilliant in it's story and the animation was mind blowing. I have a soft spot for deer for some reason I guess. I am an occasional hunter, so the whole anti-hunting message didn't bother me, and I am also not a Disney man (I don't watch too many Disney films, well I do have to say I have a soft spot for Old Yeller, and the Fox and the Hound as well).

The film struck me as a non-Disney film (when I was watching it I almost forgot it was made by Walt Disney), since it was unlike any Disney film I had ever seen. I am a pretty big animation fan and the natural look of the film stuck me in a very close to home way (I used to love not only hunting, but being out in nature and even seeing deer). I was astonished by this film, the music, animation, story, everything. While I feel this is the best animated film I've ever seen (mainly because of my soft spot for deer), I feel the music is what really brought me in. The music in the film was terrific, I've never seen a symphany that matched the story the way Bambi did, and it left me awestruck.

Well i'm sorry to rant on and on, but this has become one of my favorite (if not my all time favorite) film, and being 20 and in college I usually don't discuss it too often and I figured this message board was as good a place as any with all of you Disney fans already. Don't get me wrong, Disney cartoons pioneered the way we look at animation and his live films paved the way as well, but none of them even come remotely close to me as the wonderful film he did back in 1942.

P.S. - The section where Bambi's mother didn't make me as emotional as the final shot of Bambi on the brow of the hill watching over his children as the cycle begins again. I feel that is why many of us enjoy this film is its lack of plot and it's ability to just show life and the characters as the story. Well hope I can find some other Bambi fans as well, haha, thank you for your time.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I'm not particularly focused on Bambi, but I firmly think that Disney's art of animation reached its highest level in the early 1940s.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Welcome to the forum and to the club!!! :D

Well Bambifan56, I´m proud to tell you that you´re not the only one who likes Bambi, as you´ll see Zoltack and I are Bambi fans too(but I´m the number 1 n_n) you´ll be able to recognize us for the Bambi related avatars

once again, I welcome you and I hope to read you soon n_n
bambifan56
Gold Classic Collection

Thanks

Post by bambifan56 »

I just tonight purchased the advance order on Bambi II. It not be very good, but anything Bambi i'm a sucker for. I also have read Saltens book and have the sequel (Bambi's Children) on the way. Anybody know of any clips or sneak peeks, anything to get me excited about it? Sorry, I'm just a Bambi obsessive, can't help it, haha.
bambifan56
Gold Classic Collection

BTW

Post by bambifan56 »

Is there any Bambi fansite or anything of that sort around? I've done many searches with little success.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Re: BTW

Post by AwallaceUNC »

bambifan56 wrote:Is there any Bambi fansite or anything of that sort around? I've done many searches with little success.
None that I'm aware of, but our webmaster's review of the 2-Disc Bambi Platinum Edition DVD has more info and pictures than any fan site might: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/bambi.html

Welcome to the forum! I, too, only recently discovered what a wonderful film Bambi is (when the DVD came out). Hope you stick around!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Yessssss! Another Bambi fan who is also a hunter. Lets go on a snipe hunt. In order to call a snipe you have to yell out "WOLOLO! WOLOLO!" Oh yeah, you need a whoop ass stick too. (little King of the Hill there).

Anyways, welcome to the site and believe me this is the best resource to find out all about the Bambi. And welcome to the club. ;)

BTW Isidour - I'm #1... no, no, no... I'm the king of the forest!!!!

Alright!!! Australia Day is in 20 days WOOHOO!!!