Beauty and the Beast Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by Vlad »

That is awesome, Mooky. I had the chance to see it on the big screen a few years ago, when I was in London. It was a very fun experience.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, how wonderful, Mooky! That's one of the best things that could happen to you ever!
Marce82 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:48 am Very cool, Mooky! I hope it's a 35mm print!!!
I agree!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thank you guys :) It was beyond amazing seeing it on the big screen. The ballroom and transformation scenes alone were worth the price of admission. And we pretty much had the whole theater to ourselves (there were only three other people there), it felt like a private showing.

I'm not an expert when it comes to film imagery, but sadly, I don't think it was a 35mm print. It felt like a newer, digital source, complete with the CG Disney castle logo and the Mickey Mouse intro (i.e. same as on BD and Disney+). Regardless, it was a wonderful, magical experience all in all :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you had a wonderful, magical experience! And that it was like a private showing that no people ruined! Lol

Was the end of something there back to the original way it was?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Farerb wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:19 am
Thumper_93 wrote:Sorry guys for writing another message. I've been reading about what Belle's different faces. One of my teacher told us that the character was animated in two different places by different animators. Part of the scenes were made in the USA and the other were made at London. That's why you can see different versions of the character in the movie. I don't know if this is true but He told us so. We also had the chance to talk with an Spanish animator who worked in the movie a little bit in a event that We made in my school.
https://www.domestika.org/es/forums/4-e ... ico-disney
Disney Feature Animation also had a studio in London so it makes sense that Belle was also animated there.
Main animators were Mark Hen in Florida and James Baxter in California. Baxter animated sequences with a lot of movement, Hen animated the emotional moments. There were other animators as well and you can tell there are about 6 different versions of Belle in the film. She was the most on model when Hen drew her, the worst scene of her is when she has a conversation with her father at the beginning.
Wow, I'm (really) late with my contributions, lol. :lol: :lol: I noticed Mark Hen's version has fuller lips, while James Baxter's has thinner lips. The eyes are also very different and the eyelashes even. Usually Mark Hen would handle the closeups of her, and there's so much emotion, while Baxter always handled the more energetic shots, where her face is joyful. But both versions are very beautiful.

For me, the worst would be during the wolf chase sequence, when Philippe falls into the icy water. I guess an in-betweener drew her here. To be fair, this is a super brief sequence, so you can't really notice her face, with so much going on on the screen. :lol: :lol:
Image Image
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yikes lol
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I loved the Enchanted microwave bit lol but it looked like the Beast killed Gaston on purpose. What they did with the Prince reveal at the end was funny though.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Copying this pic that Vlad provided in the poster thread:

Assuming merchandise gets approved months ahead of the release, were these at one point meant to be Belle's original outfit colors, because there's a Mattel fashion pack from 1991/1992 that looks exactly the same:

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

All the art book says is:
The alternate poster was aimed at the traditional Disney family audience. The artists were chagrined to discover Belle's dress and the Feather Duster's plumes were the wrong colors.
Wouldn't surprise me to learn if the marketing department did this on purpose because they thought it would appeal more to children.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

What's just as dissonant to me is how we see Belle and company just frolicking around in the woods when the forest was decidedly NOT a happy place and the servants never even left the castle grounds (I guess except for Chip's little field trip at the end of the film).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah, I never thought this poster was very representative of the film and never cared for it.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thanks for the quote Farerb. That's interesting, I never even noticed Feather Duster's colors differ from the ones in the movie.

As for the poster, yes, back in the '90s most Disney films had one serious, artsy poster, and the second colorful, lighthearted one, usually featuring the main cast. I too guess it was to attract different types of audience.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Mooky wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:59 pm Copying this pic that Vlad provided in the poster thread:

Assuming merchandise gets approved months ahead of the release, were these at one point meant to be Belle's original outfit colors, because there's a Mattel fashion pack from 1991/1992 that looks exactly the same:

Looks so much like they’re right outside Hogwarts, EH? :-)
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Mooky wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:59 pm Copying this pic that Vlad provided in the poster thread:

Looks so much like its Hogwarts, EH? :-)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I had a storybook when I was young that had this exact poster design as the cover. I still have it in my collection, and I always wondered why Belle's dress was the wrong color. Even so, I still think it's a beautiful art.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaglHZg7trM

Give it a listen, guys. It's so beautiful
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow! Very nice.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I know, right? My eyes turned into little hearts as I was listening to it, haha. :lol:

Meanwhile, I was thinking, do you guys think that maybe Disney will do another restoration for Beauty and the Beast as they did with Cinderella? Give it the proper presentation it deserves. Do one for the original theatrical version, keep it the same as in 1991, no changes. And another one for the IMAX version, with Human Again and the subsequent changes. That would be amazing, but realistically, I don't think it's gonna happpen.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hmmm..like restore BatB's original theatrical version on film as opposed to the digital files being directly put on the disc?