Tron: Legacy

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

Question for those who have seen it: So did you guys notice that Tron changed from orange/red to white while he sank down in the water in the end? Do you think there's any reason why he wouldn't have just died? I regret not waiting until the end to see if there was another clip after the credits, did I miss anything? I feel like they left so much open.. I really think there's a huge possibility for another sequel.. although I'd like them to wait awhile, really. There's a huge difference visually and atmospherically between the first and second movie.. if the next film, assuming there is one, was too much like the second, I think it'd be a bit strange. :P
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

From the Hollywood Reporter: Tron Earns $3.5 Million in Midnight Showings.
The movie outpaces Inception, which earned $3 million at late night showings earlier this year.

Disney's Tron: Legacy grossed roughly $3.5 million in midnight runs, with Imax theaters providing a record percentage of the gross, according to early estimates.

Imax locations grossed roughly $1 million. That number could shift upwards once final figures are tallied.

Tron debuted in 228 Imax theaters across the country. Several theaters in South Atlantic states that had planned to run the fanboy tentpole were shut because of snow.
WaltDisneyPictures
Limited Issue

Post by WaltDisneyPictures »

FINALLY! It is out in theaters! I can't wait to hear what you all think. There are definitely a ton of reviews out there, but I want to hear all of yours!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I'm going to see it tonight in a town that's 55 miles away from here since it's the closest theater in 3D I've had my tickets bought since the beginning of December. It's the only movie this holiday season I will be seeing in 3D due to lack of 3D at the local AMC with 12 screens....But I told myself if I see one movie this holiday season in 3D it's Tron: Legacy :D
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

NO SPOILERS: It was alright. Very pretty effects and actors. I liked a lot of it, and didn't like some of it. The only thing I detested was the CGI Jeff Bridges. He looked like something carried over from The Polar Express and didn't blend well AT ALL with the real flesh and blood actors. It would have been more acceptable if the CG face was limited to CLU, but they also used it a lot in the flashbacks for the real Flynn. That was my only major beef. Other than that it is a worthy successor to TRON.

Two films that while similarly flawed are very visually imaginative and exciting.
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

I caught the midnight showing last night... I thought it was visually interesting, but the film itself wasn't very entertaining. I was bored :P
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Just got back from it. I enjoyed it. the plot and character development wasn't much to write home about, but this movie only really needed its visuals to stand on its own. One of the only movies I can say that about.

I should probably say though, I didn't get around to watching the original (was hoping it would air on tv or something before it came out but don't think it did), just a quick summary on youtube. but I don't feel liker I missed a whole lot, other than some unimportant references. Everything you need to know is in this one I think.

I did hate uncanny valley Bridges though, just as I suspected I would. We're just not there yet.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Well the critics are hating this movie, but I never pay attention to what they say, I am my own best critic and I am going to see this tonight at our new World Class IMAX Theater - the screen is tall as a nine-story building and it is over 100 feet wide with 60,000 watts of power to surround you in the film.

I can't wait, my reserved seat tickets for opening night are in the center of the theater and I hope to see a very good movie.

www.warrentheater.com

www.kansas.com

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Possible mild spoilers...

I thought this was a really cool film and had a great time. There was more 'story' than internet critics have been letting on. Olivia Wilde did a great job and had some very fun, subtle moments. Great effects and action scenes throughout.

The CG Jeff Bridges worked in the opening scenes and varied later on. Some shots were really good and some were funny looking a bit. I can give them a little slack for that as I know that's not an easy thing to accomplish and also it is supposed to be a computer version of Bridges.

Only real criticism is a little bit too much exposition. There were a few scenes where they stopped and explained what ws going on or what led up to a certain point. These are usually better handled by incorporating the info into the story and letting it happen rather than stopping and explaining it.

Overall, a great experience, esp in IMAX 3D. Will def buy on Bluray and I would go see it again. I'd like to get more figures and vehicles from the movie too!

Oh and let me just add that this wsa the most perfect soundtrack to a film ever! The right guys, the right music, cut to the film perfectly. Great job on that.
Last edited by Maerj on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I simply loved it! Visually stunning, nothing like anything I have ever seen, it's just so beautiful and breathtaking. And it was very entertaining. It was even funny sometimes.

The music by Daft Punk was very good, glad I bought the CD. And I liked all the main actors as well.

I do hope Disney will make several Tron-movies! Will be seeing this in cinema several more times and can't wait to get the Blu-ray...

Just have to add this: Critics are just people stating their own subjective opinions, there is no logic when it comes to what they like and what they don't like. Some movies are critized for being to "commercial" without Oscar-worthy acting, character-development and what not, yet other movies in the same genre are praised for being entertaining. An example: Why critics "hate" Tron but "loved" Avatar is beyond my understanding.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Another review from no other than...Tron Guy!:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/12/ ... on-legacy/
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Review in short:
I really liked this movie. The music was amazing, the effects were breathtaking (not to mention in 3D), the acting was great...everything I expected was true.

Other thoughts:
- Critics say this movie had no soul, but I felt the robotic acting and simple plot were what made it a TRON movie.
- I didn't expect that Quorra would be such a sweet character. I loved every minute of her screen time.
- The pacing was pretty balanced between action and breaks in action. My sister kept yawning and seemed bored at times, but it wasn't her type of movie. (Not like me who liked Star Trek, Prince of Persia, Inception, etc...)

I saw this with my Dad who was a big TRON fan way back. He liked it. :D

Patrick wrote:Question for those who have seen it: So did you guys notice that Tron changed from orange/red to white while he sank down in the water in the end? Do you think there's any reason why he wouldn't have just died? I regret not waiting until the end to see if there was another clip after the credits, did I miss anything?
Yeah, I'd noticed too. I'd like to think he survived somehow.
And you didn't miss anything; we stayed through the credits, no extra clip.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Prince Edward wrote:
An example: Why critics "hate" Tron but "loved" Avatar is beyond my understanding.
The main reason is because "Avatar" was the better of the two movies as far as mixing the live-action and the CGI. James Cameron blended them well and they are seamless, which is not what we get with "TRON Legacy".

Now to my experience in our new World Class IMAX theater seeing "TRON Legacy".............First I was knocked out by the size of the screen in our new theater. Tall as a nine-story building and more than 100 feet wide with 60,000 watts of sound surrounding you in a very plush theater, fully Digital picture and sound.

Now, for the movie, I can say that it was visually very stunning. The action was very good, the CGI of Jeff Bridges was very noticably different than the rest of the characters. Story wise, I think that the movie went on way too long. Even the first "TRON" was just over an hour and a half long, and I think they could have edited this one down to less than the two-plus hours of running time.

The cast was perfect, the set-up was very real, and special effects were very mind-boggling at times. I noticed some people were leaving their seats because of motion sickness, one thing that I can advise those of you do suffer from this, is make sure you take your dramamine before going to the IMAX 3-D version.

All in all I can say it was the best $12 I invested in a movie in a long time. I will definitely add this to my Blu-ray collection when it comes out, and will probably go see it again in IMAX 3-D in the next couple of weeks.

I can honestly recommend this picture to those who didn't see the first one, but seeing the first one does help a lot with some of the "inside " jokes. On my scale of 5 stars I will give "TRON Legacy" a strong 4 stars.

The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

dvdjunkie wrote:Prince Edward wrote:
An example: Why critics "hate" Tron but "loved" Avatar is beyond my understanding.
The main reason is because "Avatar" was the better of the two movies as far as mixing the live-action and the CGI. James Cameron blended them well and they are seamless, which is not what we get with "TRON Legacy".
Also, Cameron spent over $100 million more than they did on Tron.

I'm glad to see the majority of people are enjoying this film. I really had a great time and would love to see it again.

UPDATE: Thanks for the link to Tron Guy's review. I wasn't sure if he would have liked it or not since he loved the original so much. Glad to see he loved the new one as well.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Anyone interested in seeing this should go to an IMAX theatre if they can. It's well worth it.
steven132
Limited Issue

Post by steven132 »

Just came back from a panel of the artists and designer which was cool but one of them mentioned the asked Johnny Depp to be do a cameo but he said he would only do it if received 10% of the profits, crazy.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Box office victory thy name is Tron Legacy!:

http://animatedviews.com/2010/tron-laun ... d-victory/

"Disney’s much buzzed-about Tron: Legacy easily won the box office battle this weekend with a first place take of $43 million, Box Office Mojo is reporting. The sequel–which was almost certainly very expensive for the studio to make–had no trouble beating the other animation-related newcomer this weekend, the animated/live-action Yogi Bear. Predictably panned by critics, Yogi and Boo-Boo could only steal a pic-a-nic basket’s worth of $16.7 million in tickets, despite playing on more screens than Tron was this weekend. Disney’s Tangled, on the other hand, managed to show a strong hold despite the competition, and now has a total of $127 million. And last weekend’s The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader failed to roar once again, dropping nearly 50% with a take of $12 million. With a total of $42 million, it has made less in ten days than Prince Caspian made in its opening weekend."
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Already saw it, not as bad as some critics say it is. I liked it, actually.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Box office victory thy name is Tron Legacy!:

http://animatedviews.com/2010/tron-laun ... d-victory/

"Disney’s much buzzed-about Tron: Legacy easily won the box office battle this weekend with a first place take of $43 million, Box Office Mojo is reporting. The sequel–which was almost certainly very expensive for the studio to make–had no trouble beating the other animation-related newcomer this weekend, the animated/live-action Yogi Bear. Predictably panned by critics, Yogi and Boo-Boo could only steal a pic-a-nic basket’s worth of $16.7 million in tickets, despite playing on more screens than Tron was this weekend. Disney’s Tangled, on the other hand, managed to show a strong hold despite the competition, and now has a total of $127 million. And last weekend’s The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader failed to roar once again, dropping nearly 50% with a take of $12 million. With a total of $42 million, it has made less in ten days than Prince Caspian made in its opening weekend."
I'm happy for TRON: Legacy and Tangled, but upset for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I was really hoping it'd do well (mixed critical response notwithstanding) simply to bite Disney in the butt for dropping the franchise. But at least they can celebrate TRON: Legacy and Tangled.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Saw it saturday night and I must say I've never felt so mixed about a movie in my life.

There were points of the film where I was hanging off the edge of my seat and other points where I was so bored I was, literally, falling asleep. Sam has to be one of the most annoying characters ever, or maybe it was just the actor who played him, but damn I hated him.

The CGI was, with the notable exception of the de-aged Bridges who looked more plastic then Cher, Joan Rivers and Heidi Montag mashed together, amazing. However the 3D bothered my eyes to the point where I watched a lot of the movie without the glasses. I don't know why as I have not had this problem with Real-D movies before, but had it all the time with the old school 3D flicks.

The score was amazing, but the story was way too hit and miss.

3/5.