Tron: Legacy

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Voiceroy
Gold Classic Collection

Tron: Legacy

Post by Voiceroy »

More evidence that Disney has run completely out of fresh ideas:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=131210

Granted, the visual effects would be vastly improved, but remakes are rarely ever better than the original. And "Tron" was VERY original.

This is the one case where I wish Disney would actually make a sequel, and the material was already available in the "Tron 2.0" video game. The game was pretty cool (although it certainly had its flaws), and I believe it would've made a very decent movie sequel.

Tron, for all its cheesiness and outdated visual effects, remains one of my favorite scifi movies. And Disney hires two unknown writers to script a remake? Great, just great. I just hope the remake won't make "Tron" another 4-letter word for "suck".
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Augh, I hope they don't remake it. Some remakes I don't mind too much but this isn't one of those. I would be more up to the idea of a sequel as well.

Looking at that movie again within the last year I have to say that even though the special effects are a little outdated I think they have their charm. Some outdated effects bother me but not the ones in this movie. :P
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I just can't picture a remake of Tron in my mind. I can see pretty much any other Disney film being remade, but not Tron.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I really hope Tron does get remade and I hope that Disney does a better job then the original one. I really thought Tron was great at the time during the 1982, which also brought graphics and computer graphics to a higher level. Tron was like Matrix at a different time but for the 1980's.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

well, the original movie look very aged now, new generations find this really old and boring; but the plot is fantastic and with today´s technologies they could make an outstanding movie, very eyecandy
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

goofystitch wrote:I just can't picture a remake of Tron in my mind. I can see pretty much any other Disney film being remade, but not Tron.
Well, I can never see the point of any remake - if it was good the first time, then you don't need to make it. If it was crap the first time, then why would you bother?

Tron has a special place for me, and it is one of the first (of very few) live-action Disney DVDs I have purchased. I would absolutely love to see a sequel to this, as it is certainly deserving of it. It would make sense to - if the world of Tron is technology based, a sequel would take place in a world of updated technology and a bigger, smarter A.I. menace. A remake could do the same thing, but a sequel would be much more fun.

Still, some remakes have outclassed their originals, and I'm not going to write this one off based on two articles. Either way, I'll look forward to seeing the result. If it is half as innovative as the original, then it should be good.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
The Monkey's Uncle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Monkey's Uncle »

i am so sick of remakes. Disney is going to end up having the same catalog of movies TWICE! If its not broken dont fix it!
Blissey02
Limited Issue

Post by Blissey02 »

The Monkey's Uncle wrote:i am so sick of remakes. Disney is going to end up having the same catalog of movies TWICE! If its not broken dont fix it!
If it looks like the concept art for "Tron 2.0" on the "making of" on the 20th Anniversary DVD, it might be okay. If not, G.T.H.*, whomever you are!

(*=Go To H-e-double hockeysticks.)
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... inyserebii

My Collection.
It keeps growing and growing....

Please help me...

http://gh.ffshrine.org/?r=3795
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

I don't know.... Let's see.......How about it's an effort to make money....... DDDDUUUUHHHH
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I can't imagine seeing this film remade. Yeah, I'll agree with everyone in that the special effects are out-dated, but I think they are perfect for the type of movie it is. It's early eighties, after all, and the majority of it takes place inside a computer, so I think it works perfectly.

So it would seem rather pointless to me if they remade it. What, the main character suddenly gets trapped inside a computer game? That was unique and interesting back then, but now? CGI is so. . . common these days. They'd really have to put a twist on the original concept to make it interesting.
DaeLex
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DaeLex »

Oh lord... a remake of tron? no offense to you tron fans but sheesh this movie sucked so bad my nephew and niece and I turned it off with in about 20 minutes and put on A Goofy Movie wich was a croud pleaser for them.
karlsen
Special Edition

Post by karlsen »

Why, to make money ofcause. The Disney company of today is not interested in quality like in the old Walt Disney days. If they thougth that they could make money of it they would remake Snow White.

Disney has sold it soul for a dollars.
"You hate to repeat yourself. I don't like to make sequels to my pictures. I like to take a new thing and develop something, a new concept." - Walt Disney
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

reyquila wrote:I don't know.... Let's see.......How about it's an effort to make money....... DDDDUUUUHHHH
Requila, I don't think you're enlightening anyone here with this tidbit that you post so regularly. Everyone gets that Disney wants to make money and that movies make money. The issue for a lot of fans is is it justified/warranted? Feel free to join that discussion.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Nevermore
Limited Issue

Post by Nevermore »

They should leave this alone! :x
"If you see[movies]panned and scanned you really don't see the film at all.
-Martin Scorsese

My DVD Collection!
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Howdy

Post by Disney Guru »

They want to make it, because they think that if they make it again, and make it even more modern, they will probablly get more money out of the box office on it, than when it origionally came out. That's what I think their reason is.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The Lazarus thread!

It appears the on-off-on-off again remake/sequel is back on again.

http://kotaku.com/363301/tron-to-triump ... -and-in-3d

In 2011 and in 3D.
It's been over twenty five years since the original Tron flick took drive-in theaters by storm, but it looks like Tron fever may be sweeping the nation again in the next decade. According to film site Dark Horizons, Disney has plans to release a 3D sequel to the video game film, using the same technology in previous 3D efforts such as Chicken Little and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

The Hollywood Reporter previously wrote that Joseph Kosinski, currently said to be working on a Logan's Run remake, will be helming the project and that Lost writers Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz would write the script. We just hope they haven't abandoned Tron's spandex roots. That, and that the discs are still deadly.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

its really complicated..tron has achieved sort of a cult status among fans..but reintroducing it to a whole new generation is not a problem because this film is not exactly time-resistant.even i cant stand to watch the whole movie at one go nowadays..but remaking it might give it a lesser than special status.and if it flops..disney will have two failures in different era.besides nothing in its context would be special these days.CG elements...everybody's done that.its already part of our lives.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: Disney wants to remake "Tron"... why?

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Hmm,money?.
Anyway Tron is a good movie,they can make a sequel insted :P (thought there is a video game sequel).
DalmatianFan85

Post by DalmatianFan85 »

Wow. Disney's remaking one of it's own movies? Well, it's not the first time, but that movie isn't even that old.