The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I've been watching the trailer in it's not-so-new-but-I-just-discovered-them-formats for about an hour now. :) :) :) Absolutely can't wait.

BTW The official rating is PG for 'Thematic Elements, Action and Mild Language'. I wonder if this means it's going back to Disney. ;) ;) ;)
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just Myself wrote:I've been watching the trailer in it's not-so-new-but-I-just-discovered-them-formats for about an hour now. :) :) :) Absolutely can't wait.

BTW The official rating is PG for 'Thematic Elements, Action and Mild Language'. I wonder if this means it's going back to Disney. ;) ;) ;)
I don't really think it ever should have left. The reasoning behind it not being Disney is probably so that not all of 2005's big grossers will come from the Walt Disney Pictures branch. By putting one of what's bound to be one of their three biggest films of the year under the Touchstone column it will indicate that they had success both in the family films and 'adult' films when the year-end reports come in. Well, that's the only reasoning I can think of. <i>National Treasure</i> changed branches like two months before it was released, so they could conceivably still move this back to Disney, but I'm not expecting them to.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I've just read that there's a scene in the film where all the characters (including Marvin) are turned into plush toys [spoiler: Thanks to the Infinite Probability Drive]. OK. But that's not in the radio/book/tv/computer game.

And then, literally minutes later, I find out from another source, that said plush toys will be on-sale in shops, and are expected to be the biggest merchandise sellers from the film.

Can you say "selling out"?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

2099net wrote:I've just read that there's a scene in the film where all the characters (including Marvin) are turned into plush toys [spoiler: Thanks to the Infinite Probability Drive]. OK. But that's not in the radio/book/tv/computer game.

And then, literally minutes later, I find out from another source, that said plush toys will be on-sale in shops, and are expected to be the biggest merchandise sellers from the film.

Can you say "selling out"?
Weird! Plush Toys from a film that they are not releasing under the Disney banner!?

I am still really annoyed at that by the way! That is selling out in my opinion. They have no faith!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Well, the project started under the guidance of Douglas Adams, and he very well intended for this version to be different from past versions (book, radio, TV, etc.). I'm not saying that would be his idea, but John Malkovich's religious fanatic character, for instance, is a new idea Adams had for the film, I think.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Yeah, I've read that there are several plot points Adams himself had added for this film before he died that got carried over. I have no idea if the plush scene was one of them, but I know he personally added the John Malkovich character Luke mentioned, as well as a subplot involving Trillian getting kidnapped by the Vogons and taken to their home planet.

Oh, I guess I should say that I just finished the book yesterday and loved it. I was already looking forward to this film before, but now my expectations have increased after reading the novel. I really hope they get the comedic timing right because a lot of the humor will be destroyed if the lines aren't spoken in quick, matter of fact sort of ways with significant pauses between them.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the book, DK! I agree with you, and I expect they will nail the tone from the way it sounds like the filmmakers are such big fans of the book, etc.
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

Hrmmmm...interesting
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

There's a new (and better) trailer out, now (sorry, it's not in QuickTime, yet):

http://home.gotland.com/wisby/internettrailer.avi

This has got to be one of the most innovative and clever trailers I've ever seen. You would swear that Douglas Adams wrote the narration for it. My excitement for this film keeps increasing with every trailer and news piece released.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

i thought i commented here..but i guess not. :p
this movie looks interesting!! i likeeee so far! :)

Marvin is super cute! hehe! :lol:
i like the plushes too. (thanks netty!)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Really like the new trailer. Thanks for sharing it! And one of those plushes (probably Marvin) is pretty much going to have to be my avatar in April.
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

Disneykid wrote:There's a new (and better) trailer out, now (sorry, it's not in QuickTime, yet):

http://home.gotland.com/wisby/internettrailer.avi

This has got to be one of the most innovative and clever trailers I've ever seen. You would swear that Douglas Adams wrote the narration for it. My excitement for this film keeps increasing with every trailer and news piece released.
Thanks for the trailer Disneykid!! It was awesome...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Wheeee! They had a TV spot on UK TV this morning and

It includes the original music from the radio and tv series

cool
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

2099net wrote:Wheeee! They had a TV spot on UK TV this morning and

It includes the original music from the radio and tv series

cool
Yes, but no "What a Wonderful World" appears in the end credits. So I imagine that was exclusive to the teaser. Maybe that will make its way to the <i>Hitchhiker's</i> DVD. One can only hope.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

From what I've read, the film will begin with a slightly tweaked version of the original radio theme before going into a random number performed by dolphins called "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish." Apparantly there are numerous references to both the radio series and the BBC mini series, with certain actors making cameos, including the actual BBC Marvin robot.
yankees
Gold Classic Collection

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Review Thread

Post by yankees »

Hi

In This Thread You can Write our Reviews About The Movie Here
Ill Be Doing This This With Other Movies Also

Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy:
Unlike Some ppl I Never read The Book By Douglad Adams. I just went to see the movie. From what I Saw In The Previews I Didnt Know What To Expect. It Looked A Little corny But Yet Good. So I Just Got Out About An Hour Ago An I Thought It Was Good. It Wasnt The Greatest But It Was Good. The Movie Had Good actors In This Film. I Think The Best One Was Marvin The The Depressed Robot Vioced By Alan Rickman (Harry Potter) He Probblay Stole The Show Because I Went To A Sold Out Show An Ppl Were Laughing. The Other Chracters Were Good Also. TheEffects Were Alright. At Some Parts They Were Great But At Others They Were A Little corny. The Story Itself Is Good an Has a hilarious Begginning. Therea are parts In The Movie I Found Very Confusing. It was also A Little Borin In Some Parts But The President IMO was... ANNOYING. The other chracters were good though and made You Laugh A Little

All Together The Movie Was Good And Better Than I Expected..... I Dont Kno About A sequel Tho

B-
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW
Last edited by yankees on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

I want to see this but I have not had the time. oh by the way one of the places that is playing this said it was 18A (a hard R) :lol:
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I just got back from a screening of this film as well. Let me start by saying there is a certain preview playing in front of this movie that is hysterical, so make sure you catch it. To tell you what it is or what its for would be to give it away, so just see it for yourself!

Anyway, I DID read the books and enjoyed the BBC production of HHGTTG years before seeing this latest incarnation of the story. With each version (radio play, BBC tv, and novels) there are some things that are added and some things that are left out and this new one is no different. I really liked some of the additions, for example the Vogons are much more prominent in the movie than they were before.

I really enjoyed the humorous little things added throughout the film. They were really just subtle additions here and there but it really added to the fun. There are also a few nods to the TV series here and there. Diehards will spot them right away.

Alan Rickman was perfectly cast as Marvin the Paranoid Android as everyone expected. Mos Def was really good as well... I know a lot of people were surprised by his addition to the cast but he did really well.

There was some things omitted that I would have liked to have seen. In some instances there was explanations that would have been helpful to people who were unfamiliar to the story. I'd say to anyone interested, rent or by the BBC version or read the books and some of the odd behavior will be a little more understandable. Hopefully we'll get a director cut DVD of this movie that might restore some of the scenes I'm referring to.

All in all it was a fun way to spend 2 hours and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. I'll always still love the original BBC version of this story but this new one is a welcome addition as well.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the review, Terry! I'm hoping to see this one on Tuesday.