Which TV Shows Do You Have On DVD?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I don't have very many at all, but...

Cheers: Seasons 1-3

Seinfeld: Seasons 1-4

The Simpsons: Season 1

Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge for hire
Last edited by lord-of-sith on Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

right now I only have South Park seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4, but I want to get Boy Meets World seasons 1, 2, and 3 and The Ren and Stimpy dvd!!
Image Image
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I've written most of the column for this weeks DVDBits rant, but you guys get to see it first UNCUT! I'd really appreciate any feedback and suggested changes before I post it on Sunday (Saturday your time). NB: some of this refers to Aussie TV schedule, but we are a Region 4 site, so that is inevitable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b><u>A New Way to Watch TV</b></u>

Lately, I’ve been finding myself investing more of my time (and money) in television box sets on DVD (or ‘TV on DVD’ as it is called). It is much easier to sit down and watch 30-45 episodes than it is to watch a 90+ film. It may seem like I have a short attention span (which may be true), but I also have a limited amount of time to watch things. More to the point, there have been so many series coming out on DVD – both current series and old favourites – and I am but a mere mortal who cannot resist their siren-like temptation. As a result, my regular television viewing habits have largely been replaced by the round and shiny things that we like to talk about here on DVDBits.

It’s ironic isn’t it? We all bought DVD players so we wouldn’t have to contend with crap television reception and the same run of <i>M*A*S*H</i> repeats day after day. Yet it is these same titles that people seem to demand on DVD and inevitably buy as Christmas presents for loved ones, or ‘unbirthday’ presents to themselves.

I’m a big <i>Star Trek</i> fan. I have been since I was a kid. However, I have pretty much given up any hope of a certain network screening <i>Voyager</i> (yes, they are still showing “new” episodes that network, despite the fact that the series came to a conclusion some <i>three</i> years ago in the US) or <i>Enterprise</i> (a whole year behind - they just started screening Season 3 here, and Season 4 is well on its way in America!) in any reasonable order, or at all. I have decided, instead, to wait for the inevitable DVD release of <i>Enterprise</i> (which is now only a few months away), and I will be all caught up by Christmas this year with any luck. And when the hell is <i>Fraiser</i> ever going to finish here?

Ok, I’m not here to pick on Mr. Packer’s network. I’m too scared to do that (I’m only a <i>Star Trek</i> fan after all – how fit could I be?). Another channel has chosen to screen one of the most intelligent and original comedies - <i>Arrested Development</i> - at the arse-end of the TV schedule, somewhere between 10:30 and 12:00 midnight (depending on the night of the week). Not only has it got a crud timeslot, it isn’t even a reliably crud timeslot. Now, I could set the VCR, or I could wait until February 23 – a mere 45 days away – and purchase or rent the entire first season, unedited and uncut, with additional features. This is one time where I am happy to “wait for the DVD”, as I know I will be getting a terrific show without the hassle of the clumsy ad breaks or a ridiculous timeslot.

However, the effect of these DVD box sets is that I believe they have changed our viewing habits. The DVD season sets allow us to watch an entire season – uninterrupted by ads, without banners along the bottom of the screen, without having lines cut off by an ad break and without the credits squashed into the top left-hand corner of the screen – in one hit. This alone makes the DVD viewing experience far more attractive than network television, but the benefits do not stop there.
If you are just tuning into a show, DVD box sets allow you to catch up on the last few years’ worth of episodes in fairly short order. It is only within the last few years that studios have realized the potential for TV on DVD (thanks to James Reader for some background on this). People are becoming more willing to wait a few months, and catch the season on a reliable format.

One major drawback seems to be the cost. A few weeks ago, I was ranting about the high prices of TV on DVD, especially for cult audiences. However, with TV networks not giving the shows the treatment they deserve, is it any wonder that studios are finding a hungry DVD market, who are willing to pay the higher prices to see their favourite shows uncut and in order?

So I think we are truly seeing a new way of watching television programs: one that costs money, but gives us the freedom to watch the shows in the way that we want to. I think as time goes by, more and more jaded viewers will opt to “wait for the DVD”. The Season Set will have the reliability of being on whenever you want to watch it (and not being shoved aside for a replay of the tennis or cricket), as well as being the original cut of the program before advertising executives decided 22 out of 30 minutes was taking up too much valuable ad time. Sure, we are paying for the privilege of watching something that is also being offered free to air, but if the networks can’t get it right, it seems to be the better option.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I think the content is very good, to the point without getting too wordy.

However, I find you use brackets way too much for an article. I am not a grammer freak but I don't think it is great English. Try commas or if you are really brave semicolons.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I've got a nice eclectic group of TV on DVD:

Star Wars: Ewok Adventures
Star Trek: TNG, Season 1
Star Trek: DS9, Seasons 1-6
Garfield and Friends, Volume 1
Garfield as Himself
Garfield Holiday Celebrations
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Season 1
Best of the Muppet Show, Elton John and Mark Hamill discs
Dilbert, The Complete Series
The Simpsons, Season 1
Rocky and Bullwinkle, Seasons 1 and 2

Once I get a real job, I can start to buy Star Trek season sets again.
Last edited by BrandonH on Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Here's my modest collection:

Ancient Secrets of the Bible
Coupling (Seasons 1 and 2)
The Golden Girls (Season 1, and my absolute favorite sitcom in the entire world)
The Lucy Show (various eps, about 29 in all)
Ozzie and Harriet (various eps, 20 in all)
Saved By The Bell (Seasons 1 and 2)
Star Trek, Vol 8 (The Menagerie)

I also have the following miniseries's:
Lonesome Dove
Return to Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo
Dinotopia

TV-Movies:
Miracle of the Cards

I'm cheap, I like buying used DVDs for less than 10 dollars, which is why I don't have many of the other ones I'd really like to get, like I Love Lucy, Star Trek, or Battlestar Galactica.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Nice article, Loomis and great thread idea, Aaron! I must echo the sentiment that it's often easier to watch a 22-minute or 44-minute episode of a TV series than to watch an entire movie without interruptions. I've never watched too much TV over the years and I've probably caught less than 10 hours of primetime programming this decade. But I have my favorites and season sets on DVD are really a dream format that has been fully and wonderfully realized. The obvious draws are better A/V quality and no edits for commercials, but the ability to go through an entire season in succession is very neat, as is the ability to discover shows that you never would have otherwise.

Lately, I've been watching shows that I either never or rarely got to see in their broadcast runs (some BBC comedies and the highly rewatchable "Freaks and Geeks") but even for shows that are still rerun a lot (like "Boy Meets World" and "Home Improvement"), having them on DVD is just fantastic and they're so easy to revisit and enjoy in mass quantities. For the time being anyway, I must say I'm certainly rewatching TV shows on DVD more than movies. After a few years of collecting, there's a great many hours of TV content at my disposal and I must say it's pretty cool.

As for a list, well, maybe I'll post one later.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I only have one (Absolutely Fabulous), but I have been thinking about buying some Simpsons DVDs...

:excellent:
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Add Mork and Mindy Season 1. My mother gave me Mickey Mouse in Living Color V2 for Christmas whcih I already had. Traded it in for Mork and Mindy.

And add Twilight Zone The Ultimate Collection Season 1 which I couldnt find in stores last night and purchased through Amazon.
Last edited by Mr. Toad on Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

Geez, looking at other's lists, I should buy more TV shows on DVD! :P

- Who's the Boss (season 1)
- Family Guy (season 1)
- Three's Company (season 1)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

JimmyJackJunior wrote:I think the content is very good, to the point without getting too wordy.

However, I find you use brackets way too much for an article. I am not a grammer freak but I don't think it is great English. Try commas or if you are really brave semicolons.
I do use a lot of brackets don't I!

I guess because it is an opinion piece, rather than a proper article (it is a regular column I do called DVDBits Uncut - there I did it again!), I use the brackets to make it more like a conversational aside.

Will edit before Sunday at the very least.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

i have
The Mickey Mouse Club (Week 1)
Disneyland (Various Treasures including Davey crocket)
Will and Grace Seasons 1 and 2
Garfield & Friends (v. 1)
The Flintstones (s. 1)
Mary Tyler Moore Season 1
Green Acres Season 1
Rocky and Bullwinkle, Season 1
Reba Season 1
Three’s company seasons 1 & 2
House of mouse: Mickey’s house of villains
Looney tunes golden collection vol. 1 & 2
Spider-man the ultimate villain showdown
My big fat Greek life: the complete series
Winnie the pooh: a very merry pooh year
Cartoon network’s cartoon crack-ups (1 filntstones, 1 jetsons,
1 scooby-doo, 1 huckleberry hound, 1 yogi bear, 1 pixie and Dixie, and 1 top cat)
Bump in the night: night of the living bread
Friends: series finale & the one with all the parties (with friends party pack)
Jimmy neutron: confusion fusion
All grown up(the 1st vol. with Susie sings the blues, coup Deville, the old special, and that one rugrats ep)
Kim possible: the secret files
What’s new Mr. Magoo? : come back little McBarker, Mountain man Magoo, Magoo’s Yacht Party
Teacher’s pet (1st ep)
Nicktoons: Halloween (1 spongebob, 1 rugrats, 2 rocket power, 1 hey Arnold, and 1 fairly oddparents) and
Christmas (1 spongebob, 1 rugrats, 1 rocket power, and 1 fairly odd parents)
Lilo & stitch’s island of adventures (clip and mr. stenchy)
Alf files (can. DVD with Alf’s special Christmas, try to remember, and tonight tonight)
Spongebob: nautical nonsesnse and sponge buddies, sea stories, tales from the deep, and lost at sea
Best of the Muppet show: Elton John/Julie Andrews/Gene Kelly, Peter Sellers/John Cleese /Dudley Moore, Steve Martin/Carol Burnett/Gilda Radner
Ed Sullivan show: Muppets Magic (great DVD but the WORST COVER ART ON THE PLANT and sadly I can not find replacement art)
The pink panther show: jet pink
Sabrina the animated series: Sabrina’s world
Cartoon network: Halloween (1 grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, 1 Johnny bravo,1 ed edd N eddy,1 powerpuff girls,1dexter’s lab 1 cow and chicken ,1 I am weasel and 2 courage cowardly dog),Christmas(1 grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, 1 Johnny bravo,1 ed edd N eddy,1 powerpuff girls,1dexter’s lab 1 cow and chicken ,2 I am weasel and 1 courage cowardly dog), Scooby-doo and the toon tour of mysteries (from cereal box) vol.5(1codenmame kids next door,1 courage cowardly dog, 1 powerpuff girls, TV spots, music vids)
Abbott & Costello movie night (with 2 eps of the Abbott & Costello show)
Scooby-doo: meets Batman, meets the Harlem Globetrotters, winter wonderdog
Fairly oddparents: superhero spectacle
Red Green, DVD* duct tape virtuoso deluxe
TV specials
Jack Frost
The Original Television Christmas Classics (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer / Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town / Frosty the Snowman / Frosty Returns / The Little Drummer Boy / bonus music cd)
The year without a Santa claus/Rudolph's shiny new year/nestor the long-eared Christmas donkey
Santa vs. the snowman 3d
Olive the Other Reindeer
The jimmy Timmy power hour (with bonus jimmy and fairly odd parents eps)
The Santa Claus parade: 100 years of smiles (special DVD in honor of Toronto’s Santa Claus parade 100 years only available at can. post offices)
Wallace & gromit
The grinch grinches the cat in the hat/the hoober-bloob highway
The lorax/pontaffel pock and his magic piano
Halloween is grinch night/green eggs and ham (and other favorites)
The cat in the hat
How the grinch stole Christmas/Horton hears a who
A Charlie brown Christmas/its Christmastime again, Charlie brown
Want a dog for Christmas, Charlie brown/ the making of a Charlie brown Christmas Charlie brown's Christmas tales
A Charlie brown thanksgiving/the mayflower voyagers
It’s the great pumpkin Charlie Brown/you’re Not Elected, Charlie Brown
Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown/You're in Love, Charlie Brown/ its Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown
A Charlie Brown Valentine/there’s no time for love Charlie Brown/someday you’ll find her Charlie Brown
It’s the Easter beagle, Charlie brown/it’s Arbor Day Charlie Brown
Lucy must be traded Charlie Brown/ Charlie Brown’s all stars/ it’s spring training Charlie Brown
Red green’s hindsight is 20/20
Red green’s duct tape forever (hour long TV special as a bonus)
Sunday morning funnies with Betty boop/cool McCool/ Blondie and Dagwood
Garfield as Himself
Garfield Holiday Celebrations
TV movies
Dennis the menace in cruise control
Fairly oddparents: abra catastrophe
fairly oddparents: channel chasers(with bonus eps)
Kim possible: a sitch in time
Munster go home (ok it went to theaters but still)
Dinotopia (mini series)
Inspector gadget’s last case
Home alone 4: taking back the house
It’s a very merry Muppet Christmas movie
Brer Brandon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Brer Brandon »

I am addicted to TV on DVD. In addition to collecting all of my favorite shows from TV, I've also "discovered" several new favorites from DVD (like Farscape). Here is my collection: I didn't include specials (like Rudoplh and Charlie Brown holiday specials) or TV movies (really the only one I have is Star Wars: Ewok Adventures), just series.

24 S1-3
Alias S1-3
All in the Family S1
Angel S1
Aqua Teen Hunger Force V1-2
Arrested Development S1
Batman: The Animated Series V1
The Ben Stiller Show: Complete Series
Buffy: The Vampire Slayer S1-2
Family Guy S1-3
Farscape S1-4
Firefly: Complete Series
Freaks and Geeks: Complete Series Yearbook Edition (my fave show of all time!)
Futurama V1
Gilmore Girls S1
Invader ZIM V1
Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
My So-Called Life: Complete Series
The OC S1
Reno 911! S1
Roswell S1
Seinfeld S1-3
Simpsons S1-3
Smallville S1-2
Spongebob Squarepants S1-2
Undergrads: Complete Series
X-Files S1-2
blessedarethegeek.tumblr.com
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

O.K. Here is my TV show DVD listing (in both live action and cartoons)

(recent additions will be listed in bold)

LIVE ACTION

Thunderbirds
Monkey
Gilligan's Island (season 1)
Man About The House (Season 1 - One of Mum's discs)
Steptoe and Son (Series 1)
Keeping Up Appearances (series 1-4)
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - another one of mums
Fractured Flickers
M*A*S*H (seasons 1-5)

CARTOONS

The Flintstones - Complete Seasons 1-3
Top Cat
The Jetsons
Wacky Races
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You - The complete seasons 1 and 2
Underdog - The complete series
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends (seasons 1 and 2)
The Harveytoon Show Volumes 1-16
Felix The Cat Volumes 1-6

I am tempted to purchase "Home Improvement season 1", but I've gotta wait until I'm financial.
Last edited by blaing on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom in North Carolina
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

24 S1-3
Alias S1-3
All in the Family S1
Arrested Development S1
The Ben Stiller Show: Complete Series
Family Guy S1-3
Garfield and Friends Vol 1 and 2
Gilligan's Island S1 and 2
Gilmore Girls S1 and 2
Reno 911! S1
Seinfeld S1-3
Simpsons S1-5
Spongebob Squarepants S1 and 2
The West Wing S1-3

Tom
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

Alias (Seasons 1-3 [Season 4 on the air ABC Wed, 8/7c!])
Ellen DeGeneres: Here and Now (HBO Special)
Family Guy (Seasons 1-3)
The Flintstones (Season 1)
Garfield & Friends (Holiday Celebrations DVD)
Laughing Out Loud (A 5-Disc collection of stand-up I believe originally from TV)
Monty Python's Flying Circus (The Complete Series)
The O.C. (Season 1 [Season 2 on the air FOX Thurs, 8/7c!])
Pee-Wee's Playhouse (Christmas Special)
Seinfeld (Seasons 1-3)
The Simpsons (Seasons 1-5)
Thumb Wars (TV Special)
The Blair Thumb (TV Special)
Thumbtanic (TV Special)
Bat Thumb (TV Special)
Frankenthumb (TV Special)
The Godthumb (TV Special)
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Sulley wrote: Thumb Wars (TV Special)
The Blair Thumb (TV Special)
Thumbtanic (TV Special)
Bat Thumb (TV Special)
Frankenthumb (TV Special)
The Godthumb (TV Special)
i thout these went dtv.:?
disneywb
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneywb »

My pride and joy is:

Buffy seasons 1-7
Angel seasons 1-2
Boomtown season 1
Greg the Bunny, the complete series

*new acquisition!*
Dead Like Me season 1

At times I really love watching these, but there has to be more spacing in between them. I loved watching Buffy season 3 because it had felt like forever since I saw them on tv. But now that I have season 7, I've yet to see it because I can remember most of the season quite freshly.
umbreongirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by umbreongirl »

I have the first 4 episodes of Case Closed.
It's an awesome anime.
I love it, I'm gonna try and buy all the DVD sets that come out.
purplebluelove99
Gold Classic Collection

What t.v. shows do you have on dvd?

Post by purplebluelove99 »

Both My boyfriend and I collect t.v. shows on dvd

So far we have:

Bottom (BBC comedy) (complete series)
Hitchhiiker's Guide to the Galaxy (BBC t.v. special)
The Young Ones (BBC comedy) (complete series)
The Lone Ranger (12 half-hour movies)
Dukes of Hazzard first season
Three's Company first Season
Three's Company second season
Gilligan's Island first season
The Flintstones first season
I Love Lucy first season
Charlie's Angels first season
The Simpsons first season
You Bet Your Life (popular 50s game show)
Married with Children first season
Married with Children second season
Last edited by purplebluelove99 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.