The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid on Broadway

Post by Disney Duster »

It would be great if, just like they are reviving Beauty and the Beast, they would revive the show, for Broadway, and this time do it right. Better sets, costumes, and staging. Maybe even a better book. Maybe even use the old songs some of us heard, like "Wasting Away" for Ursula, the original version of "If Only", and the original version of "Poor Unfortunate Souls (Reprise)". Oooh, and "All Good Things Must End", especially if it's sung by Vanessa! That was like the best new song!

And if they can't do it "right", we all know they could at least do it better than they did it before.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It would be nice, but I don’t think TLM will ever be revived on Broadway. Sometimes flops (and TLM was a flop as it couldn’t recoup its budget) get revived because producers and investors think it has some kind of artistic value, but I think Disney’s a lot more ruthless. They haven’t revived anything yet on Broadway, but when they do it will be one of their proven successes like BATB, or Poppins. Maybe even Newsies.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ohhhh...hmmmm...yeah, Disney might be like that. Shame if so.

But the reason I think they may still do it one day is because The Little Mermaid is probably their most popular property after The Lion King. They may think it could still be a success.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Disney Duster wrote:It would be great if, just like they are reviving Beauty and the Beast, they would revive the show, for Broadway, and this time do it right. Better sets, costumes, and staging. Maybe even a better book. Maybe even use the old songs some of us heard, like "Wasting Away" for Ursula, the original version of "If Only", and the original version of "Poor Unfortunate Souls (Reprise)". Oooh, and "All Good Things Must End", especially if it's sung by Vanessa! That was like the best new song!

And if they can't do it "right", we all know they could at least do it better than they did it before.
They already completely revised The Little Mermaid though. The Dutch production, which I've seen, used all new costumes and a new set design by Bob Crowley (who did the set design for Mary Poppins the musical), including having the actors fly/swim. They also revised the book for this one by adding a whole new song and backstory for Urusla (in this version she was still Triton's older sister, but they had a bunch of older sisters that Urusula all murdered so she could have the throne. Triton found out that Urusula had killed all their siblings and thus banished her, taking the throne for himself). I believe they also made some other changes.

This new revised is now the new officially licensed version of the musical and the one used as the basis for all future productions. So if they do eventually bring the show back to Broadway, it's most certainly gonna be based on this version of the show.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rumour: Disney's The Little Mermaid UK Premiere Planned
https://theatrefan.co.uk/rumour-disneys ... e-planned/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

I feel like I'm one of the few who preferred the original broadway version. lol