The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Is it strange that I like this one's version of Her Voice a little more than the Broadway one?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Thank you so much for the song list! I still cannot believe that destruction of the grotto comes before Under the Sea! Oh well.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I actually like some of these translations more than the movie translation.

Especially 'Part of your world'. In the movie it's translated as 'Dat is mijn wens' ('That is my wish') and here it's translated as 'Daar ligt mijn hart' ('That's where my heart lies'). I don't know why, but I just like it a little bit more.
:)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

No I agree, that title is much more poetic and beautiful and has more to it, that it's more than a wish, it's where she'll find herself/she needs to be. I can't believe there's no way to make it closer to the words "part of that world" or "connected to/belong to that world" in words that fit the melody and ryhme, but I don't know their language.

Toky thanks for all the information! The show sounds worse than the Broadway version except with a few better visuals, lol. How was the flying? Did it look like swimming? Did it hinder the performances at all? Did the tails and huge fins look like mermaid tails and look good?

How can there be no animals in Kiss the Girl? Who sang the chorus?!
UmbrellaFish wrote:I must say, I like your costume designs, Duster, but I wonder how well they'd function.

Personally, I'd have no problem if they just gave Ariel a dress designed like a fish tail-- but not an actual tail as has been done in past productions. That way you'd focus more on the performance and not on the odd protusion coming out of the back of the actress' costume.
Well thanks you very much. Sounds like what you think would work could be a lot like my last design. Perhaps with just the fins sticking out on the bottom instead of the end of the tail sticking out and up a little.

Or maybe you'd like the tail dresses from this show, if they were just done better somehow?:
Music Theatre of Wichita's The Little Mermaid
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Disney Duster wrote:
Toky thanks for all the information! The show sounds worse than the Broadway version except with a few better visuals, lol. How was the flying? Did it look like swimming? Did it hinder the performances at all? Did the tails and huge fins look like mermaid tails and look good?

How can there be no animals in Kiss the Girl? Who sang the chorus?!
Your welcome :) The flying looked really great and didn't hinder the performances at all...all the fabric looked great (it was clear that it were fins and a tail, but the actors did walk with the costumes) really colorful and creative, bit like a butterfly(in positive way) :)

the chorus in 'kiss the girl'? Well that was the weird part, there was clearly a chorus, but don't know were it came from :P it was just sebastian and scuttle on stage and it was like everyone was waiting for exotic animals to appear, but they didn't show up...really a shame, because the scene looked a bit empty :(
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

You know during Poor Unfortunate Souls when Ursula mentions the 'This one longing to be thinner, that one wants to get the girl' line? It works well because she has visions/her cauldron to show her point, but it seems a bit awkward in a stage production because she doesn't have two merpeople to gesture to. You know, the ones who came to get her "help".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwN0on95754&feature=plcp

By the way, here's a video for said song from the show.

PS, if those skating actors are Flotsam and Jetsam, then I don't like their costumes because I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be eels and they look more like weird seaweed people now.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

DisneyJedi wrote:You know during Poor Unfortunate Souls when Ursula mentions the 'This one longing to be thinner, that one wants to get the girl' line? It works well because she has visions/her cauldron to show her point, but it seems a bit awkward in a stage production because she doesn't have two merpeople to gesture to. You know, the ones who came to get her "help".

PS, if those skating actors are Flotsam and Jetsam, then I don't like their costumes because I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be eels and they look more like weird seaweed people now.
They have weird costumes, I agree. Ariels wig looks weird.

I do think the 'floating-swimming' thing works good in the 'If Only' song, take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKhjx_3 ... qtPY_gDJ1w

I wish there was some video of Part of your World by now.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyJedi wrote:You know during Poor Unfortunate Souls when Ursula mentions the 'This one longing to be thinner, that one wants to get the girl' line? It works well because she has visions/her cauldron to show her point, but it seems a bit awkward in a stage production because she doesn't have two merpeople to gesture to. You know, the ones who came to get her "help".
Yea. I don't think they need it but it would make the scene better, more spectacular.
DisneyJedi wrote:if those skating actors are Flotsam and Jetsam, then I don't like their costumes because I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be eels and they look more like weird seaweed people now.
Yes they're Flotsam and Jetsam and yes those costumes suck. The Broadway ones did too. They should have done for them what they did for Sebastian and Scuttle in this version, which was give them costumes that actually look like the animal they're supposed to be.
WillytheDino wrote:I do think the 'floating-swimming' thing works good in the 'If Only' song.
Yea. I think it looks good all the time. Ursula and Ariel should always be floating instead of how weird it looks with minions moving her and her tentacles around.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Disney Duster wrote:
WillytheDino wrote:I do think the 'floating-swimming' thing works good in the 'If Only' song.
Yea. I think it looks good all the time. Ursula and Ariel should always be floating instead of how weird it looks with minions moving her and her tentacles around.
She does fly in the reprise of the new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNLAkp1T ... qtPY_gDJ1w

But then it looks weird compared to the poor unfortunate souls song, because there she is enormous and in the reprise she looks smaller.

Notice that during the reprise she is holding a potion in her hand, would it have been that hard to make her drink it, change into some other actress who looks like Ariel and then make her participate in the contest? Only to have her changing back into Ursula at the end. They could still keep the part that Eric preferes Ariel over Vanessa, even though she has 'the voice'. Would be an even bigger proof of his love.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Gosh are those costumes cheap... oO

Looks like something I could do better in 15 minutes with a sewing machine. :lol:
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Wow, Flotsam and Jetsom look like they were changed into polyps like the merpeople who couldn't pay Ursula! :o And Ursula looks like a maypole with people playing with her "ribbons".
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

WillytheDino wrote:But then it looks weird compared to the poor unfortunate souls song, because there she is enormous and in the reprise she looks smaller.

Notice that during the reprise she is holding a potion in her hand, would it have been that hard to make her drink it, change into some other actress who looks like Ariel and then make her participate in the contest? Only to have her changing back into Ursula at the end. They could still keep the part that Eric preferes Ariel over Vanessa, even though she has 'the voice'. Would be an even bigger proof of his love.
I know right! Agreed and agreed. And she should just float all the time, or make her costume able for her to occasionally stand/walk in like the merpeople's tails (have yet to see them walking in them, wonder how it looks).
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Disney Duster wrote: I know right! Agreed and agreed. And she should just float all the time, or make her costume able for her to occasionally stand/walk in like the merpeople's tails (have yet to see them walking in them, wonder how it looks).
I think it looks stupid. Here you have a video of the bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5U86oS07qY

IF they walk around like that on the stage during the musical (notice the sisters + Triton) it's really lame, you can just see their legs moving.
At 1:00 min you have a better look at the costumes for Flotsam/Jetsam.
I do love the fact that Ursula is wearing purple pums with the green things on them!

I am going to see this in September in Utrecht, so I'll keep you posted on the details.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

The walking looked liked they were walking on their toes :P But when the actors stood still on the stage they moved their bodies like they were floating in the sea (like a wave)...a minor detail that reminds the audience at anytime that they are under the sea...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The producer mentions at the end that next up is Aladdin.

:)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

In Europe or on Broadway? :?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They should not ever walk as merpeople. It does look really bad.
WillytheDino wrote:I do love the fact that Ursula is wearing purple pums with the green things on them!
Um...do you mean purple pumps with yellow suction cups on them? Hope you have a great time in September!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

DisneyJedi wrote:In Europe or on Broadway? :?
Europe.

The Netherlands to be specific.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Disney Duster wrote:
WillytheDino wrote:I do love the fact that Ursula is wearing purple pums with the green things on them!
Um...do you mean purple pumps with yellow suction cups on them? Hope you have a great time in September!
Yeah, it's a detail but I like it. Since they walk (which is sad) at least their footwear is appropriate.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney