The Black Cauldron Appreciation Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Gwildor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gwildor »

Isidour wrote:also a solid end would had helped
I mean, they get the...what was he...or she...or it? :? but we never knew what happened after to the black cauldron, if the witches used it or even if the sword had another special quialities
I guess you are right in that part, the movie has a lot of problems, such as the "Magic Bubble" of the princess that simply disapears, the end is a little bit empty, etc

But is a great story that has been produced in a hard period for Disney...

I'm sure that if the Black Cauldron had been made after the little mermaid, it would be a great movie!
The Horned King

Post by The Horned King »

Here's what I think:

It's not Disney's best film, but man oh man, does it have one excellent villain: John Hurt's The Horned King.

That voice still sends shivers down my spine.

Now, here's what I think Disney needs to do:

There needs to be, sometime in the future, a new 2-disc Special Edition with:

newly remastered 2.20:1 anamorphic widescreen (NO FULLSCREEN!!!)
Dolby Digital and DTS Home Surround Mixes
Original Dolby Surround (or 70mm 6-track, if possible)
Audio Commentary with some of the filmmakers, cast (get John Hurt in on it), and Tim Buton
Documentaries and Featurettes on the Books, the Making of the Movie, Voice Casting, the Release, the Video Ban, etc.
Deleted Scenes
The Quest for the Black Cauldron Game
Trick or Treat short
Still Galleries
Theatrical Trailers
"Now I call on my Army of the Dead; the Cauldron-born! Arise, my messengers of death! Our time has arrived!"
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

The Horned King wrote:Here's what I think:

It's not Disney's best film, but man oh man, does it have one excellent villain: John Hurt's The Horned King.

Audio Commentary with some of the filmmakers, cast (get John Hurt in on it), and Tim Buton
Documentaries and Featurettes on the Books, the Making of the Movie, Voice Casting, the Release, the Video Ban, etc.
Deleted Scenes
Trick or Treat short
Still Galleries
Theatrical Trailers
John Hurt was the Horned King? I knew his voice sounded familiar! Of course, I only know him as Kane from Alien and Ollivander from the HP movies.

I love the specs for the Special Edition. Too bad that will most likely only see the light of day when the GMD sequel does...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Taleeya

Post by Taleeya »

I love the Black Couldron. I remember there was this Sierra game (King's Quest, Leisure Suite Larry, etc.) and I wanted it so badly!

I like on the DVD you get Trick or Treat with the opening credits, as opposed to the butcherd House of Villians version....

If you like John Hurt, he is pretty good in Jim Henson's Storyteller series.
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

The Horned King wrote:Here's what I think:

Deleted Scenes
Trick or Treat short
Still Galleries
Theatrical Trailers
a 2-disc set would be great and well deserved.
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Taleeya wrote:I love the Black Couldron. I remember there was this Sierra game (King's Quest, Leisure Suite Larry, etc.) and I wanted it so badly!
I think someone in this thread or another Black Cauldron thread posted a a link in which the creator made it available for (I think) free download. I also remember seeing a Donald Duck game too.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

Kram Nebuer wrote:
Taleeya wrote:I love the Black Couldron. I remember there was this Sierra game (King's Quest, Leisure Suite Larry, etc.) and I wanted it so badly!
I think someone in this thread or another Black Cauldron thread posted a a link in which the creator made it available for (I think) free download. I also remember seeing a Donald Duck game too.
yeah some thread on here, maybe this one has a link to a free black cauldron game.
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
blackCROCHAN

Post by blackCROCHAN »

GhostHost wrote: yeah some thread on here, maybe this one has a link to a free black cauldron game.
Plenty of them around :)

Al Lowe's (the creator's) site:
http://www.allowe.com/More/download.htm

Or there's a download and walkthrough (for the uber lazy) here too:
http://blackcrochan.solsticestar.co.uk/game.php

But I'm a bit of an uber fan of BC truth be told despite thinking Disney didn't do the original books any justice at all - I still enjoy the film as a stand alone piece but not in comparison. :roll:

I do have a question which someone may be able to clear up though; why is there the 'Trick or Treat' cartoon on the DVD?

I see no reason for it to be there it's just so patently random.... :?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

blackCROCHAN wrote:I do have a question which someone may be able to clear up though; why is there the 'Trick or Treat' cartoon on the DVD?

I see no reason for it to be there it's just so patently random.... :?
Because it features a cauldron in the cartoon. Silly, huh?

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Sendur
Limited Issue

Post by Sendur »

When they do cartoons on the DVD, do the cartoons wo dont already know :o
Jules
Diamond Edition

Disney's most underrated film: The Black Cauldron (1985)

Post by Jules »

Hi everyone!

I purchased 'The Black Cauldron' on DVD 1 and a half years ago in Region 1 (So lucky...). I was pleased to find out that it wasn't as bad as I'd heard.

True, the characters are a bit flat, except for Princess Eilonwy who is a real treat. The film (in my opinion) also suffers in the story departement, so that after half an hour or so, I wasn't too interested in what was going on. But I continued watching it, and I think I owe that to the magnificent special effects that envelope the movie's characters.

At the back of my mind, I also thought of the effort that Disney had put into making this film, presenting it in 70mm Widescreen, which if I'm not mistaken is called Super-Technirama 70. It was also one of the first movies released in 6 Channel Dolby(R) Surround Sound, which is frickin' impressive.

Critics' reviews vary, Leonard Maltin gives it 2.5 stars on 4 and describes it as being unmemorable but pretty good, whilst Roger Ebert gives it an excellent 3.5 stars on 4, and praises it incessantly, as opposed to all the negative reviews about it.

The DVD was a bit disappointing though. The picture had a lot of flaws, but I suppose it will just have to do.

I wonder if one day Disney will give ALL its animated classics a thorough restoration, even the lesser-known ones? :?
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Well it will be re-released eventually one day most likely on the next format so I'm sure it will get some sort of picture restoration. I have never seen this movie though. One day I'll see it.
DisneyQuack
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyQuack »

I too have never seen it, but look forward to seeing it when I can.
RangerPower

The Original "The Black Cauldron" Trailer?

Post by RangerPower »

Hi RP here again with a request that i hope that can be fulfilled. I am looking for the Original "The Black Cauldron" trailer that was on the orginal Pinocchio VHS from 1985/1986 i believe. It was a teaser like one, and would love to see it again and i bet others here would love to see it again also or for the first time. Please, and thank you in advanced.
May The Power Protect You Always!
mr jinx

Post by mr jinx »

a new review of The Black Cauldron
MichaeLeah
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MichaeLeah »

I find watching The Black Cauldron to be somewhat depressing. I think it was a great idea with huge potential but it just wasn't developed enough. There are a lot of changes that should have been made. It would have helped, for example, if maybe the main character had more confidence and if he was more exciting. It probably also would have helped if it moved a little faster with more perilous dillemas. Maybe it also would have helped if the girl was a litte more of a D.I.D. And they probably could have dropped the musician. The film should have had more of a sense of urgency. There should have been more and closer calls. I think you get the idea.

Anyway, I like watching the movie. There is a lot to see in the frame. I think the film is built on a great idea and it is really quite similar to Lord of the Rings. I am glad there are people on here who are fond of the film. I wouldn't be real confident they will do much to improve the picture quality of the film. It has never been a picture that has earned them much money. In fact, I wonder if they have ever made as much money they have spent on the film.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

it had a lot of potential, disney just needed to work on it a little bit more, the main reason I like this movie and watch it over and over is because of the Horned King, according to what I heard he's the reason the movie got the PG rating
Continuum

Post by Continuum »

I finally watched this the other day and I was pleased with it. While I agree the depth of the story is lacking, it still was enjoyable. It did seem that the story development was rushed and nothing got to really develop. The characters were flat except for the Princess, but it was still enjoyable.
eric89
Limited Issue

Post by eric89 »

I wouldn't mind seeing this movie released on a 2-Disc Collector's Edition. I really like this movie! It only took me 17 years to see it!
John 3:17
krash9924

Post by krash9924 »

wow now would be a great time for this to be redone as live action. i would love to see the high king done as well. this movie doesnt get alot of credit and its a damn shame. disney tried something new and it wasnt perfect but was still damn fun to watch.