The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Vlad »

Oh, I recently acquired the 3D version of The Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray. I was a bit skeptical, cause I really didn't think that movie would need a 3D conversion, but it was so nicely done.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I saw Oz in 3D on Blu-ray as well. My grandfather had it. It wasn't that different from the regular version to me.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Guys, do you know if the Black Diamond VHS of the movie was also released as a slipcover as well as a clamshell?

I have a friend on Facebook who purchased two slipcovered versions, and wants to know if they're genuine. I have looked online, and the only VHS with a slipcover was the 2006 Platinum Edition, and it was a Movie Club exclusive. So I thought I'd ask here.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I really doubt the original VHS ever had a slipcover.

I thought the "I think I've been struck by lightning" line by Eric in the work prints was kinda romantic, would've liked it in the final film. Also how Triton made Ursula promise she wouldn't harm any of his daughters. I wish that was in the film too, with her just magically re-writing the contract to say it or something, one quick flash of magic is all it would take!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Thanks for confirming, Duster. I have asked my friend to show me pictures of the VHS, and the artwork has been cropped, both on the front and on the back (a lot of the text is missing), so I really doubt it's a genuine copy from Disney.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You're welcome. And I want to add, the reason I like the "I think I've been struck by lightning" line by Eric in the work prints is because it ties back to how he said love would hit him "like lightning" one day.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBWbRQkW6I&t=46s

Hey guys, did you see this? A user on YouTube posted has posted this workprint version of POYW reprise scene. I love it, it has so many alternate shots. For example, we see a lot more of Ariel, as she begins singing the first verses, and her facial expressions are so beautiful. I really would have loved to have seen that in the final movie. Plus, seeing a rough animation of that iconic shot of her singing on the rock is so great!
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Okay, she looks EXACTLY like Rapunzel right at the 1:00 mark.

Anyways, Ariel really is one of the most beautifully animated characters in all of history.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I live with my two best friends, and the guy cries very easily. We watched The Little Mermaid, and when Triton destroyed Ariel's stuff, he cried and said something like, "You did a good thing for your daughter, didn't you?" You know, in a sarcastic way. And him crying made me see the scene as sadder than I ever had, and I got the feels and a tear came to my eye. It took me as an adult to cry from The Little Mermaid.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

A scene that sometimes makes me cry in The Little Mermaid is at the end, where Ariel tells Triton that she loves him. That sometimes makes me cry, depending on my mood.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's a very common one people cry at. I got the feels there at that part, too, on this watch, but didn't manage to cry.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

When Ariel is drawn well, sheโ€™s as beautiful as Aurora, Snow White and Cinderella. When sheโ€™s drawn poorly she looks too cartoony for me. Same with Belle.
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

My favorite part of the way she is animated was always her hair, it's nice too see it animated with such detail even in this version
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lele wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:05 am My favorite part of the way she is animated was always her hair, it's nice too see it animated with such detail even in this version
Even in what version?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:12 pmEven in what version?
The workprint version Vlad posted.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

carolinakid wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:42 am When Ariel is drawn well, sheโ€™s as beautiful as Aurora, Snow White and Cinderella. When sheโ€™s drawn poorly she looks too cartoony for me. Same with Belle.
They're both drawn well in most shots in their movies. There are some rare instances when they look weird, but the same goes for Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora.
Lele wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:05 am My favorite part of the way she is animated was always her hair, it's nice too see it animated with such detail even in this version
I feel the same way. :)
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Theres someone on instagram called @artugolini who does AMAZING art and Animation and he did some short Ariel and Alice Animation clips and they look really faithful. Here is a screenshot:
Artugolini.jpg
Artugolini.jpg (95.64 KiB) Viewed 478 times
He probably did the clean up and coloring too, really impressive! :D So imagine how even more flawless she would look if he wasnt doing the extra coloring and stuff. A proof that great animators are out there.
If Disney only hired him for Once upon a studio. :(
Link to his Animation clip: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clo8FfZq ... QxcWE2MGNz
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks, Sotiris.

Wow, that is amazing, Disneynerd! Yes, he would have been great for Once Upon a Studio.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:15 am Theres someone on instagram called @artugolini who does AMAZING art and Animation and he did some short Ariel and Alice Animation clips and they look really faithful. Here is a screenshot: Artugolini.jpg
He probably did the clean up and coloring too, really impressive! :D So imagine how even more flawless she would look if he wasnt doing the extra coloring and stuff. A proof that great animators are out there.
If Disney only hired him for Once upon a studio. :(
Link to his Animation clip: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clo8FfZq ... QxcWE2MGNz
GAH! Jumpscare!
Ariel looks like she's so excited to kill me with those crazed eyes of hers! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคช rotfl Looks like it set in an alternate reality where Ursula raised Ariel instead.

Back to topic, yeah, that is some great animation and a well done one at that since, like you mentioned Disneynerd, he did all that by himself, from the rough drafts to final color, really impressive stuff. Even the shading and lighting as well! Really reminds me of the spot-on animation of Dr. Doppler by @madalin_truica: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIjBD_YjVc3 ... IwNjQ2YQ== I think he also did a Hades animation as well.

But seriously, I got scared when the picture suddenly popped up on my screen. :P :huh:
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Disney Duster wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 pm Wow, that is amazing, Disneynerd! Yes, he would have been great for Once Upon a Studio.
really unfortunate, as this could be literally mistaken for a screenshot from the movie while OuaS Ariel kinda looked like Return to the Sea. :(
MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 pm Ariel looks like she's so excited to kill me with those crazed eyes of hers!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคช rotfl
Run as fast as u can papi and hide your Jiafei products :huh: ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’…๐Ÿฅฐ :P
MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 pm Really reminds me of the spot-on animation of Dr. Doppler by @madalin_truica: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIjBD_YjVc3 ... IwNjQ2YQ== I think he also did a Hades animation as well.
Good find! Dr Doppler looks good there! And Wow the Hades Animation looks so fluid and spot on! :D Also the same page u mentioned did pretty 2d handdrawn animation of Wishs Valentino! https://www.instagram.com/p/C4qIToJIX4Q ... 4waWxhdzg3
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink: