Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Thumper_93 »

I miss the old times when Disney used to make new covers instead of using the same artworks again and again.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:12 pm I found this online. I think it was a first draft of Cinderella's Platinum Edition DVD Cover artwork. I also posted the final art for comparison.

Image Image

Cinderella and the Prince are okay on the first draft (they seem to be taken directly from the Masterpiece VHS), although, the way she's holding her dress is weirdly drawn. It kinda doesn't make any sense. The backgrounds look better, the castle seems to be taken directly from the movie. The carriage also looks better in the first draft, but the mice look better in the final art.
Nice find! Thanks for posting! I don't know if had noticed the Platinum Edition cover was so inspired by the Masterpiece VHS one before. I kind of prefer how the prince is drawn in the first draft, though he looks more like Snow White's prince there. I agree with you about the rest.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I have that image of the first draft of the cover somewhere, but it's great seeing it posted here and in good quality. It doesn't look to me like anything is exactly copy and pasted from the Masterpiece cover or movie, but I don't have time to verify.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I think the castle is the same on both covers. Cinderella's and the prince's poses are very similar, but it's not an exact copy.

Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I can't with Prince Charming's girly face in that first draft. It looks like those Disney princess face swaps that were popular a few years ago.

And I doubt it was intentional, but Cinderella herself reminds me of Drew Barrymore (smaller nose, stronger chin).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's hilarious, Mooky! And I always thought the Prince's first draft face was too girly, too!

I never thought Cindy looked like Drew Barrymore, but it's so fitting when she was Cindy in Ever After.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Prince Charming looks too effeminate in the first draft. He looks like he’d be more into the Duke as his daddy rather than Cinderella. I much prefer the second cover.

I don’t see the Drew Barrymore resemblance but I haven’t seen her much since ET. Or Scream... Not a fan...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

It's only that one specific image where she reminds me of Drew, jawline in particular.

Image Image
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OH yeah there she looks just like Drew!!!
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

I'm so glad that Disney changed Prince Charming's face/eyes on the final cover. :o He looks just like a girl in the mock-up. Not looking good.

On another note, does any one know why the Disney animators didn't add the little white lights in Cinderella's eyes? I mean, they're blue, but the spot where the white light should be is already there. But it ain't colored white. Just blue like the rest of her eyes.

I made this gif of Cinderella yesterday, and I edited every frame, adding the white to her eyes and it looks really good. (At least I think so) :) What do you guys think?

Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yeah, I noticed this in older animated films. They didn't add they white to their eyes, only in close-up shots, like when the bird is talking to Alice after she becomes a giant. Your edited gif looks beautiful :D
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:01 am Yeah, I noticed this in older animated films. They didn't add they white to their eyes, only in close-up shots, like when the bird is talking to Alice after she becomes a giant. Your edited gif looks beautiful :D
Yeah, you're right. I wonder what movie they started with the little highlight in the eyes. I noticed that Lady had them in Lady and the Tramp from 1955. And Aurora had them in some of her scenes in Sleeping Beauty from 1959. So maybe around those times? And thank you for the comment on my gif, it really adds alot when added. :)
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

She’s so beautiful, VF. She and Snow White and Aurora will always be the most beautiful princesses, imo.

Ariel and Belle are lovely but I don’t find them as consistently animated as I do the original three.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

You're very right, carolinakid
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Well, I cannot say this definitively, but I suspect the lack of that glint on Cinderella's eyes was a cost cutting measure.

Adding that glint would have been part of the inking process, and it would have been an extra step and an extra color of ink necessary. It may seem like a small thing... "it would take under 2 minutes to add that detail"... but then you multiply that by the number of cels, and it is suddenly pretty laborious (ie: expensive).
And we have to consider Cinderella was made quickly, and with a low budget after the war years... no money for any extra flourishes.

Consider this film was made at a time where the concept of home video did not exist... so you'd watch the movie once every 7 years in theaters. Hard to notice these details unless you rewatch a movie a lot... (and can pause it)

Kinda like when you watch The Rescuers, and they don't even bother to color the whites in the mice's eyes. COST CUTTING.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You are right, Vlad, Cindy, her Prince, and the mice look better on the final cover, and the coach does look better on the preliminary cover, but the golden top and coachmen's wigs are wrong on the preliminary cover. They got fixed in the final one (though the golden top is still not perfectly right). They also changed the wheels to gold on the final cover, while they were correctly colored on the preliminary cover.

D82, yes, I think the caste, gate, and roadway are the same on both of those covers.

The final cover has a brand new drawn castle.

Mooky, great avatar! You look cute!

VanessaFan, good job! Cinderella looks so lovely.

Marce82, thank you for the info and explaining!
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

The germany edition is now available. I bought it at Amazon Spain and it seems that it will arrive this saturday. It costs around 25€. I can't wait to watch it!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's great, Thumper_93!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ok... I just came across this, and I might be potentially a lil pissed. The August 1st release of the 4K set, including dvd, for the wide release on the best buy website... for $22.99.
I hope it's a mistake, cause I paid way more:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cinderella ... Id=6546804
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I can’t remember what I paid, I guess probably $30 but it was also my full priced title in a cart of 60% off titles so I guess it comes out in the wash. And I don’t mind paying a little more since I paid to get it early, y’know?

Anyway, I just saw an announcement from Disney on Threads that the new restoration is coming to Disney+ in August. I did not realize it wasn’t already there… it’s interesting that the new restoration was available to physical media audiences so much sooner that streaming audiences. It was the reverse with Avatar: The Way of Water.