DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:23 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney to Bring Kermit, Miss Piggy & THE MUPPETS to Broadway?

Quote:
It's not easy being green, but Disney may be seeing green if the studio brings the beloved characters from 1984's THE MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN to the Great White Way.

The New York Post's Michael Riedel reports that the Walt Disney Company, which has had the rights to the Muppets since 2004, is "exploring the possibility" of a Muppet musical coming to one of Jujamcyn's five theaters. With the recent successes of kid-friendly musicals "Cinderella," "Aladdin", "The Lion King" and "Mary Poppins," it seems to be only a matter of time before the iconic Henson creations have a show of their own. While the project make take a while to come to fruition, as one source says, "Who doesn't love Muppets?"

It remains unclear how Disney would go about adapting a movie starring an ecclectic group of puppets to the stage. Will they emulate the success of Julie Taymor's "Lion King," in which the actors who man the life-size puppets remain somewhat camouflaged in the background, or perhaps use the "Avenue Q" model, in which both puppets and their 'handlers' are clearly visible to the audience.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Di ... 8ZtjxaRPwJ

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Hmmmm …. this could really work, or could suck really badly. The main point, for me at least, would be the voices. Who would be able to perform the voices night in night out ? Or would they get soundalikes etc ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:33 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If they consistently get great soundalikes for the roles, I think this could be a huge smash. It would be the only Broadway show that could forever with the same bonafide marquee stars, Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc. as the day it opened. I'm a little embarrassed I never considered this possibility, especially since the success of "Avenue Q."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

I wonder, would it be purely based on The Muppets Take Manhattan (I know that Disney owns The Muppets, but did they ever release that film on DVD/Blu-ray, or has only Jim Henson Entertainment?), or would they have elements of different films/tv shows/new stuff...? This idea totally excites me, though, but I'd worry about the voices, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 pm 
Special Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
I wonder, would it be purely based on The Muppets Take Manhattan (I know that Disney owns The Muppets, but did they ever release that film on DVD/Blu-ray, or has only Jim Henson Entertainment?), or would they have elements of different films/tv shows/new stuff...? This idea totally excites me, though, but I'd worry about the voices, too.

Disney does not own the distribution rights to The Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets From Space, Kermit's Swamp Years or It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

The distribution rights to Manhattan, Space and Swamp Years are all owned by Sony while Very Merry Muppet Xmas is owned by NBC/Universal.

Therefore, Disney cannot release those 4 specific films. And why Disney has never released them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:57 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ Thank you! So, could Disney even develop a Broadway show based on The Muppets Take Manhattan?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:59 pm 
Special Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
^ Thank you! So, could Disney even develop a Broadway show based on The Muppets Take Manhattan?

I don't think it would be based on Muppets Take Manhattan.

I think it would just be a normal Muppet Show-style variety show with random musical numbers and skits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:05 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ Gotcha, thank you! I wonder, then, if they would use any existing Muppets songs, or if they would use all brand-new songs...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:10 am 
Collector's Edition

Well this is a colossal flop waiting to happen, but I've always wanted to see something like it so I'll be attending.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

blackcauldron85 wrote:

Weren't they producing a Princess Bride musical a while back? So, I guess it's not too out-of-the-ordinary for them to make a Muppets Take Manhattan stage musical. And they used "Together Again" in Muppets Most Wanted, so using the songs shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:12 am 
Gold Collection

UmbrellaFish wrote:
If they consistently get great soundalikes for the roles, I think this could be a huge smash. It would be the only Broadway show that could forever with the same bonafide marquee stars, Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc. as the day it opened.

Or, if they follow the Avenue Q model, it could be a chance to acknowledge that, regardless of worldwide fame and fans, the Muppets are still fictional characters, not real celebrities like they're constantly made out to be, and should be treated just like other kinds of puppets are.

*stands on soapbox* Enough with the puppet discrimination! Equal rights for all puppets!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Nah....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm 
Limited Edition

It would make sense to adapt Muppets Take Manhattan, since that's about bringing the characters to a Broadway show. Meta!

Although, I think it would be just as fun to see something like what they were doing in Muppets Most Wanted, and make an actual stage-length production of The Muppet Show, with a rotating guest star that they retheme to their talents as they come and go. Imagine, Idina Menzel could do it a couple of nights, while Josh Groban will come in later. Them perhaps Hugh Jackman or Scarlett Johansson or who knows!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 pm 
Platinum Edition

Avaitor wrote:
It would make sense to adapt Muppets Take Manhattan, since that's about bringing the characters to a Broadway show. Meta!

Although, I think it would be just as fun to see something like what they were doing in Muppets Most Wanted, and make an actual stage-length production of The Muppet Show, with a rotating guest star that they retheme to their talents as they come and go. Imagine, Idina Menzel could do it a couple of nights, while Josh Groban will come in later. Them perhaps Hugh Jackman or Scarlett Johansson or who knows!
I agree with both these ideas. :up:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:39 pm 
Special Edition

Don't count on a Muppets Take Manhattan.

A Muppet Show-style variety show with random musical numbers and skits is more likely.