Moana (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Moana (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, I'm insanely excited about the new adaptation of HP. I know many are attached to the films and those actors--the crowd who don't read mostly--but the books were popular before the films existed. And besides, the HP films are sort of a mess, there is no consistency from movie to movie because directors were being changed constantly. The strength of the cast and the music hides most of the flaws. I'd be more bothered if they remade the LOTR films since I thought those were pretty perfect, and watching those was often more satisfying than reading the books. But I'd be open to a more defined LOTR mini-series as well.

Getting Dwayne Johnson to sign on probably hurried this along before other Revival films, whereas they probably would've waited a couple more years before doing this one in particular otherwise. But I think the Revival films were always going to get this treatment, too, but perhaps Rapunzel would've been first otherwise.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

PatrickvD wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:11 pm I’ve heard the phrase ‘Hollywood is out of ideas’ a lot in the past and always thought it was a bit overdone…. like, it lost its meaning, because people were applying it to everything, even sequels that were good or in-demand.

But between this and Warner announcing the Harry Potter remake I’m kinda ready to say it: Hollywood is fully, 100%, completely out of ideas.
Oh, there are plenty of ideas left. It's just that no one pays to see them.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

PatchofBlue wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 am
PatrickvD wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:11 pm I’ve heard the phrase ‘Hollywood is out of ideas’ a lot in the past and always thought it was a bit overdone…. like, it lost its meaning, because people were applying it to everything, even sequels that were good or in-demand.

But between this and Warner announcing the Harry Potter remake I’m kinda ready to say it: Hollywood is fully, 100%, completely out of ideas.
That, and the industry isn't interested. I believe I saw that Craig McCracken pitched 17 original ideas to Netflix, who passed on all of them, before he returned to Cartoon Network to greenlight new versions of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Why make something new and exciting when you can recycle the same brands over and over again?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

How reliable is this source? I would not be surprised if this is one of the more faithful remakes, because the source material is so recent, but I would also expect them to expand the running time 30 minutes and to add new songs. And I would think those additions to the script would take more than five months to finish.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:50 pm How reliable is this source? I would not be surprised if this is one of the more faithful remakes, because the source material is so recent, but I would also expect them to expand the running time 30 minutes and to add new songs. And I would think those additions to the script would take more than five months to finish.
Another 30 minutes? I already thought the original's second act was too long, they could have cut out the Kakamora entirely. I'm guessing the added material will likely be about expanding Maui's backstory, more screentime for Johnson.

I do find it surprising that this movie is already going to be filmed (and probably released) before Hercules.
Donald_35

Post by Donald_35 »

Too soon for this "remake". And I agree the role of Maui will be extended to give Dwayne Johnson more screentime. Maybe even a new song. Or a new scene showing him deciding to get back to Moana to help her to restore the heart of Te Fiti because, in the film, he comes back suddenly. In any case, I would prefer a live-action "remake" of "The Princess and the Frog" now than "Moana" 's. If the shooting is due to begin in October, I think they want to release it in 2025. I don't know if it will be theatrical. I guess so with Dwayne Johnson starring.
Disney's Divinity

Maybe Moana in live-action will be three hours. :lol: :lol:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Auli'i Cravalho won't be back as Moana:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsbkPgSA ... BiNWFlZA==
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We figured as much when the original announcement was made. It looks like this wasn't Disney's decision, but it was she who didn't want to reprise the role.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Farerb wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:14 pm Auli'i Cravalho won't be back as Moana:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsbkPgSA ... BiNWFlZA==
That's so sad...
Disney's Divinity

Wow, that's surprising. I wouldn't mind hearing someone else's vocals on those songs for sure.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Hamilton’ Director Thomas Kail to Direct Live-Action ‘Moana’
https://thedisinsider.com/2023/05/26/ha ... ion-moana/
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

PatchofBlue wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 am

It’s more that the original ideas they come up with, people don’t want to see. So they put their “original” ideas into remakes and people complain about those aspects of the remakes. Coincidence?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney’s Live-Action ‘Moana’ Taps ‘Hamilton’ Helmer Thomas Kail as Director
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235502170/
Disney's Divinity

I think that was already posted.

Anyway, I imagine this film will cut Tamatoa and the little coconut things. I hope they give Tala a song (I mean, besides the beginning part of the HFIG reprise); I could see her singing at the point she shows Moana the ships, I could hear a song of her view of the world and the beauty of it. I feel like Tala and Alma both should've had songs in the two Miranda WDAS films--Alma more than Tala, but still.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Considering the purpose of these live action remakes has been to change the scrutinies lobbed at the originals, one must wonder if this remake of Moana is going to change anything the original was criticized for :P. If so, what would that be? To give Moana a love interest? :P :D
Disney's Divinity

Maui's design was the main criticism around the first film what I recall. Well, the only well-founded one anyway, I do remember some complaints that someone who sails like Moana should be male for certain...physical reasons (I hope you all remember what that physical reason was, since I won't go into it, you might can surf online and find it :lol: :lol: ), but that was a criticism based in misogyny, so it shouldn't affect this.

Anyway, I expect this remake will mostly be okay because Miranda isn't going to see anything wrong with his own movie to "correct" like with TLM, of course. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:32 am Considering the purpose of these live action remakes has been to change the scrutinies lobbed at the originals, one must wonder if this remake of Moana is going to change anything the original was criticized for :P. If so, what would that be? To give Moana a love interest? :P :D
You're being facetious, right? You know there's no way that's happening.

The main issues the Left had with this movie was that the setting was a fictional hodgepodge of various Pacific Islands instead of something more specific and that Maui was turned into a jerk whereas he was a noble hero in its original mythos. Neither can be addressed extensively without significantly impacting the story or the songs. We'll see what they end up changing, but I doubt it will be a lot.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:33 pmYou're being facetious, right?
Yeah. Sorry about that.