Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Re: Wish

Post by DisneyJedi »

So am I the only one who hopes that, if Disney ever adapts Wish to Broadway, they take the unused concepts (such as Star being Star Boy or whatever his name would have been and "At All Costs" being a love duet between him and Asha) and adapt them to the stage like how Aladdin ended up using concepts from Howard Ashman's original version for its Broadway production?
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

DisneyJedi wrote: โ†‘Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:54 pm So am I the only one who hopes that, if Disney ever adapts Wish to Broadway, they take the unused concepts (such as Star being Star Boy or whatever his name would have been and "At All Costs" being a love duet between him and Asha) and adapt them to the stage like how Aladdin ended up using concepts from Howard Ashman's original version for its Broadway production?
I doubt Disney is going to do a Broadway version of Wish anytime soon, if ever. Especially not with music as contentious as this. Asha will probably be added to the Disney Princess line when the movie is not the newest film.

That said - the Wish fandom is wild.

I've seen several animatics on YouTube and Tumblr where "At All Costs" is a love duet for human star ("Starboy") and Asha.

It may be just a few die-hards but there's a clear level of adoration for a character and subplot that never even appeared in the final movie.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I would think a Broadway show ever happening is unlikely, too, but who knows. I feel like Encanto will get one at some point though. Frozen, Tangled, and Moana always felt like certainties in that regard.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Migration has surpassed Wish at the global box office, becoming the 4th highest-grossing animated film of 2023.
Top Animated Films of 2023 (Global)

01. The Super Mario Bros. Movie: $1,363,377,030
02. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: $690,615,475
03. Elemental: $496,444,308
04. Migration: $254,830,000
05. Wish: $246,610,225
06. Chang'an: $241,270,000
07. Boonie Bears: Guardian Code: $221,982,308
08. Trolls Band Together: $208,749,012
09. PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie: $202,324,839
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem: $181,721,383
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:50 pmMigration has surpassed Wish at the global box office, becoming the 4th highest-grossing animated film of 2023.
Good. :up:
Disney's Divinity

Aw, that's a shame. At least Spider-verse was massive anyway.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Wish's Harvey Guillen Talks Disney's Future and Representation
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/wishs ... ion-lgbtq/

Interview: NiKo Vargas on Landing Their Role in Disneyโ€™s โ€œWishโ€ and More
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/disney- ... interview/
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

In an article, Angelique Cabr notes that the villain changed between when she auditioned and when she was assigned the role of Queen Amaya.

She notes that her audition took place "two years ago" [from January 2024]. Meaning making Magnifico a main villain was a much later production decision.
Angelique Cabr wrote:Yeah, yeah. When I first got this audition actually, it was now almost like two years ago. She was an evil queen, and Magnifico was a good king. And she was the evil. And then, by the callback round, I would say, they had changed her character pretty completely and she was a grounded maternal, benevolent queen who was completely different than the first audition I did. So I had to really change my take on her. And I dressed completely differently and I changed my voice.
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/one-c ... cO6gbquiwG
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

My DVD of Wish arrives tomorrow (3/13).
I donโ€™t know when Iโ€™ll get around to watching it, but Iโ€™m anxious to see if itโ€™s as dreadful as people say...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Last edited by Farerb on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Isnโ€™t it weird how, even after 100 days in the movie theaters as I asked Disney to make happen, Wish is still not on Disney+ yet?

I wouldโ€™ve thought they would have put a date out for it on Disney+ by now.

But at least this could be a sign that future Disney movies wonโ€™t be on Disney+ after 90 days anymore and will be out after 4 months at least.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I was hoping for something more substantial from the hour long BTS feature but it was just the usual fluff "we were inspired by this and that..." sure...
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZyziDEf5tI

This is the making of Wish documentary. You can find a deleted scene with Evil Amaya and King Magnfico at 1:11:19
Disney's Divinity

I bought the Walmart steelbook this past Wednesday, very pretty cover. Watching the deleted scenes from when the movie was in process, I feel very conflicted. I like the original film, I like some of the ideas they didn't go with (Amaya and Magnifico as an evil couple, the cat sidekick)--I feel like there's a mixture of things from both ends that I like and don't like. I mostly enjoy the finished film though, so it's not really a complaint so much as I don't think what they started with was necessarily better per se than what they ended up with, more a mixed bag on both ends--a great film would've combined things from that early stage with some things from the finished product. For example, Star. I know everybody loves the humanoid character designs, I like those, too, that said I also like the character in the finished film. I feel like there's a middle ground there where both a humanoid Star character and the Star from the finished film would work together, maybe the latter as his sidekick.

The funny thing is that people try to say this film is underbaked when they criticize it, but, if anything, I have a feeling this film was likely *over*analyzed and overbaked because they were trying to be very careful with it. Things they liked initially (like Amaya being evil, too), they likely later questioned if that was a good idea and changed it because they were unsure of themselves. I like the wishing tree concept a little more in the deleted scene.... That's another thing about Disney (talking generally, not just WDAS) lately is how much overlap there is between all these studios. That seems like an idea that was shuffled over from and/or to Disenchanted from here, much like the ending of Frozen 2 has things in common with the ending of Toy Story 4. I think all this overlap is what's hurting the various studios, they're losing their individual identities because they're all mixing together so much, to the point everything that's being seen by audiences (whether it's WDAS, Marvel, Star Wars, PIXAR, etc.) develops a sort of "same-y-ness" that makes things less original and exciting.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Wish gets released on Disney+ on April 3rd:
https://youtu.be/JISBGkkI5rEsi=aRr1dXeAnh6bn_G8 i wonder how it will make on streaming

Thanks for sharing the making of, reee9948! :wave:
Looking back at the test footage here that they also showed in D23 Expo, although really similar to the final version, the previous test Animation looked way better. You coud really see that they were going for the water colored look, especially with the shading. The colors are also pretty and bright, while in the final, everything is traced evenly and the colors are quite pale. But Glad they scrapped the reduced Animation per sec thing like in Spiderverse. Spiderverse is an Action comic come to life, so the stylistic choice is understandable, but WDASs Animation was always aiming fluidity.

Also amazing to finally see the other test footage of Asha walking through Pinocchios background.
(At 23:10 minutes)
I would do anything to open the Research library for more Rapunzel (Keanes) and Unbraided Concept Art, songs and Script drafts. And of course Gigantic too. Aghhh

And them Cancelling Star Boy because "with Maui and Genie, we felt like weve already seen it before", while this already is a movie full of references and homages, that wouldnt hurt at all. :-| Also kinda reminded me of Camilo. But idk if he can only shapeshift into humans or also animals.
Also those were my favourite designs they showed there: Image

And turns out Valentino wears a cute jumper because Walt Disney himself dressed up his farm animals. Also, was Magnifico going to be called Mirei? Mhh
And oh my im in love with the evil couple with the hidden village deleted scene, loved their dynamic there.

One of the most interesting scenes in this documentary is when they first encountered the idea of a celebration movie, and even considering doing a Fantasia like flick, but looking at their recent sparkshorts, im glad they didnt do it.

But most interesting out of the making of is how they all were able to talk about the movie positively for almost 2 hours with a smile. Fake it til you make (the making of) it. :D

Also im thinking the movie really didnt need those nods to the legacy AT ALL. The Wishing star concept was already enough. I mean stuffing 100 years of WDAS, wasnt this not already established with the Once Upon a Studio short? :?: :-?

They mentioned "Disneynerds" in 1:01:30, representation!๐Ÿฅน
Ok i need to pinky promise to stop thinking about the movie cause it already kills my last few braincells.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Oh, they finally announced the Disney+ release date. I will watch it then, and will decide if I'll get the Blu-ray or not. :D
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

After some months I think I hate the movie, at first I thought it was just meh, but now I hate it a lot for using my culture, like Disney is not going to make another movie based in Spain, they usually don't repeat countries

Still hoping Pixar makes a flamenco dancer movie in the style of Coco

By the way, hey, how's everybody? Zero hyped for Moana 2 because I think it will be a critical flop after being transformed last minute into a movie, but Inside Out 2 looks great
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I managed to watch it on Disney+. I thought it was okay - I liked the animation, the story and the characters. However, I was quite disappointed by the soundtrack. Except for "This Wish", none of the other songs was memorable to me.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jennifer Lee leaned too heavily into an audienceโ€™s desire to hunt for Easter Eggs versus telling a good Disney classic story. An insider reached out to me regarding the Wish Easter Eggs. This source attended several audience test screenings of Wishโ€”the first in February of 2023. In the first screening, 5% of Wish was fully animated, with 85% being storyboard animatics. Much of the criticism from the audience spoke to confusion with the overall story and character motivations. It was perceived that the moderator wasnโ€™t looking for story feedback but was more interested in whether they saw all the Easter Eggs. About a month later, another test screening was conducted. Though more of the film had been animated, none of the story feedback from the first session had been incorporated into this version. This particular screening was catered explicitly to โ€œDisney Adults,โ€ who said they visit Disneyland several times yearly. The moderator kept probing into how many Disney references they caughtโ€ฆthey caught five.
Source: https://filmthreat.com/features/the-d-f ... th-wish/3/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Seems like more lies and half-truths made to appeal to the pro-John Lasseter crowd. Sorry but I donโ€™t buy any of this for one second. The use of slander with the term โ€œDisney adultsโ€ is proof enough to make me doubt this article of theirs, just as their article about Raya and the Last Dragon is full of BS, in my opinion.

This article just feels like copium after the messiah to the grifters that is Nelson Peltz lost to Bob Iger.