Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

Post by Mooky »

Ah, I get it now. Personally, I'd always go for a ballad as a safe choice, and "Dos Oruguitas" is still a superior song, imo. Nobody could have foreseen that "We Don't Talk About Bruno" would take on a life of its own.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's true that "Dos Oruguitas" seemed like a good choice at first since the Academy tends to prefer ballads and songs that play an important role in the movie, like that one. But I remember that before most of the public discovered the film on Disney+ and "We Don't Talk About Bruno" became so popular, it was already the song that got most praise from critics in their reviews and reactions. On this forum, for example, it was also the most well liked. So, I think there were already some clues that it was the most popular one, if Disney had payed more attention.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:41 pmApparently, Disney changed its mind regarding what song from The Little Mermaid to submit for the Oscars; now "For the First Time" is the song listed on its awards website.
They clearly got scared of the potential backlash. While I understand Disney's decision, the song is simply not strong enough to garner a nomination. Just submit all three songs, Disney! You don't have to worry about a potential split vote because there's no way more than one would get nominated anyway!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think either would win, so it probably doesn't matter, but "Wild, Uncharted Waters" was the best of the original songs. The actor's vocal is rough at points, still it fits in with the original songs moderately well and has an emotional punch at the same time.

The thing is "For the First Time" is a great *scene* and I like the way we finally see Ariel's first touch with fire (call back to "what's the word--burn?") as well as the corsets and the way it all builds up to the prince coming in and her forgetting she sold her voice, that she thought it would all be so simple, just the song itself is, well... From the beginning, I thought it was something that neither fit the sound of the film itself nor played into Halle Bailey's strengths as a singer. Which is a shame, I thought the original song would be written specifically in mind for her the way "Speechless" was for Naomi Scott, and give her a greater chance to shine.

They should've just went for broke and put up "Scuttlebutt." :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:59 pm They clearly got scared of the potential backlash. While I understand Disney's decision, the song is simply not strong enough to garner a nomination.
Yes, it's possible that's the reason. They announced the categories they're aiming for very early this year, by the way. If I'm not mistaken, normally they don't do it until November or so. I wonder if they did that so they could have time to change their minds if they saw there was backlash or if some of the other songs suddenly became more popular.

I agree "For the First Time" is probably not strong enough to be nominated. "Wild Uncharted Waters" is better in my opinion, but I don't think it had many chances either considering any of the original songs from the remakes has been nominated yet. So I'm not too upset it was replaced, even though it was the one I preferred.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:25 pm I don't think either would win, so it probably doesn't matter, but "Wild, Uncharted Waters" was the best of the original songs. The actor's vocal is rough at points, still it fits in with the original songs moderately well and has an emotional punch at the same time.
I agree. I think the new songs for the co-leads ("Evermore," "Speechless" or this one) have been better than the new ones for the leads. I also agree "For the First Time," while nice, stands out more as a scene than for the song itself.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It seems Disney is having second thoughts on what song from The Little Mermaid to submit once again. I've checked the Disney awards website, and now they've removed the song category altogether from the list. I don't think that means they aren't submitting any song, but they probably want to think more about it before posting their final candidate.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They either should submit both songs or Halle's new song because she's the lead of the movie and it's more expected of them. I also think it'll have more chances of being nominated because the academy might want her to sing in the ceremony.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I think "Wild Uncharted Waters" is more marketable as a song, and I think it would be really easy to get Halle to the ceremony so she perform alongside Jonah, her just vocalizing while he sings the song proper.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

"For the First Time" is back as the best song candidate from The Little Mermaid on their awards website. We'll see if this is Disney's final decision or not.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It seems Disney may have listened to you, Sotiris, as they now have all three Little Mermaid songs up for consideration (at least for now):

Source: https://debut.disney.com/fyc/twds/movie ... categories
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

D82 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:50 pm It seems Disney may have listened to you, Sotiris, as they now have all three Little Mermaid songs up for consideration (at least for now):

Source: https://debut.disney.com/fyc/twds/movie ... categories
Nice! PLEASE let it stay that way, Disney; it’s much better to put them all there so that the Oscars can decide for themselves which one they’ll pick. Don’t make the same mistake like what happened to Encanto, do it for your other upcoming musicals as well like Wish.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
2. Good Night Mare by LOZAREENA (Song)
3. Disventure Camp (Web Series)
4. SHEESH by BABYMONSTER (Song)
5. The Way of the Househusband (Anime)
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Watch "Scuttlebutt" be the song that breaks Menken's Oscar curse ...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It seems that it won't really matter what song Disney submits for either The Little Mermaid or Wish because it seems that most critics and outlets predict that the winner will be "What Was I Made For?" from Barbie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

PatchofBlue wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:54 am Watch "Scuttlebutt" be the song that breaks Menken's Oscar curse ...
:lol: It would be funny if that was the song from the film that ended up being nominated.
Farerb wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:36 pm It seems that it won't really matter what song Disney submits for either The Little Mermaid or Wish because it seems that most critics and outlets predict that the winner will be "What Was I Made For?" from Barbie.
I thought the predicted winner was "I'm Just Ken," but I haven't been following the predictions much lately. I think both it and "What Was I Made For?" are good songs. I wouldn't mind if one of the two won. I wonder if Warner Bros. will submit both or just one of them. I still haven't seen Barbie. Does "I'm Just Ken" play an important role in the film? And is "What Was I Made For?" just featured during the end credits or also in the movie itself?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Both of them play an important role during the film. I guess "What Was I Made For?" feels more like an "Oscar" song. I believe they are going to submit both.
Barbie is also expected to win Production Design and Costumes.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I literally just watched Barbie night before last all the way through including the credits. I had to Google just now "What Was I Made For?" - obviously that song made no impact on me. From that film, "I'm Just Ken" 109% all the way!!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love "I'm Just Ken" the most, but "What Was I Made For?" is more emotional and touching. I'd love if either won.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:24 pm Both of them play an important role during the film. I guess "What Was I Made For?" feels more like an "Oscar" song. I believe they are going to submit both.
Oh, interesting. I thought "What Was I Made For?" was probably just featured during the end credits since it's not sung by the characters like "I'm Just Ken." I think the latter is catchier, but I guess the former is more emotional, like Disney Duster said. Interestingly, if any of them wins, it won't be the first Oscar for their composers, as the "I'm Just Ken" writers already won for "Shallow" a few years ago, along with Lady Gaga, and Billie Eilish and Finneas got the award for the Bond song "No Time to Die." The submission deadline ends soon, so I guess we won't have to wait long to know what Warner decides to do.
Farerb wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:24 pm Barbie is also expected to win Production Design and Costumes.
Yes, I did hear that. They're also expected to get several other nominations like best picture or best supporting actor for Ryan Gosling, right?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:00 pm Yes, I did hear that. They're also expected to get several other nominations like best picture or best supporting actor for Ryan Gosling, right?
Yes.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, Barbie and Gosling winning those awards would be awesome!

Yes, D82, catchier is a good way to describe "I'm Just Ken".