Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Apparently, a buddy of mine on Twitter heard from The DisInsider that Tiana is now delayed to 2025 for its release on Disney+ because they're taking the time to make sure they get the hand-drawn animation on that series right. He's trying to find where they said that and I'm looking through episodes of their show on Patreon to find out for myself.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:38 pm Apparently, a buddy of mine on Twitter heard from The DisInsider that Tiana is now delayed to 2025 for its release on Disney+ because they're taking the time to make sure they get the hand-drawn animation on that series right. He's trying to find where they said that and I'm looking through episodes of their show on Patreon to find out for myself.
On a kind of related note, Have you seen this :)

: https://youtu.be/-eBNpKYsIhc?si=RlQNpiZQUzD8XYnw
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:38 pm Apparently, a buddy of mine on Twitter heard from The DisInsider that Tiana is now delayed to 2025 for its release on Disney+ because they're taking the time to make sure they get the hand-drawn animation on that series right. He's trying to find where they said that and I'm looking through episodes of their show on Patreon to find out for myself.
What?? :(
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Delay it however long they need. Just make sure it's nice and pretty when it lands.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:32 pmI'm not sure. But if I had to guess, maybe they're inferring it from this: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/vanc ... 8950550832
They wanted a 2D animator in Vancouver to do drawovers, pencil tests, and expression sheet for them. Maybe even the occasional 2D element like Mini Maui. The studio is not staffing up for a 2D production pipeline. This was the job description for that position.
Instructions for specific position:
- Experience with hand drawn production.
- Ability to assist with design if needed. Character packeting, expression sheets, and pose exploration.
- Strong understanding of anatomy and design.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Work with a team of artists to inspire, explore characters and performance with animation tests before CG assets are built.
- Provide hand drawn animation on projects that have 2d elements and sequences.
- Work with the crew to help with artistic choices and design sense.
- Drawover support for character, animation, and CFX asset and shot production.
- Hair and Cloth drawovers to help CFX timing, and design aesthetic.
Source: https://www.showbizjobs.com/jobs/walt-d ... jid-g66w79
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Even if this was the case, that changes nothing when I've heard and at least have been lead to believe, not once, not twice, but more than 3 times, that Tiana will be hand-drawn animated and that the majority of work in getting that done will be at WDAS in Vancouver. Maybe this is a rare example of one and only one 2D project that is in production for now because that's all they have that they're developing that way.

Sorry that you can't see it that way. But that's clearly what looks like is happening. And until we hear otherwise at Annecy in June or D23 in August, we can't assume otherwise until we know for sure it won't happen that way. So, we're just gonna have to give the scoopers and insiders the benefit of the doubt that Tiana is gonna be hand-drawn animated.

For... now. At least.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Apparently Drew Taylor of The Wrap heard exciting things about the art/animation style of Tiana: https://x.com/DrewTailored/status/17553 ... 79503?s=20.

Here's hoping that it's because it's 2D/hand-drawn animated and that's the reason why it's been delayed to allegedly 2025.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Kyle »

I wonder what the odds are this series will get turned into a theatrical movie, you know if the moana 2 experiment goes well.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Kyle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:15 am I wonder what the odds are this series will get turned into a theatrical movie, you know if the moana 2 experiment goes well.
I don’t think that’s happening, since the series is supposed to be episodic, compared to Moana’s series being an overarching story, which is maybe another reason why it became a sequel, other than the feature-film-quality level of animation.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 pmApparently Drew Taylor of The Wrap heard exciting things about the art/animation style of Tiana.
The same thing was said about Wish too.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Any idea if we're ever going to get a teaser trailer or any form of announcement any time soon?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:54 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 pmApparently Drew Taylor of The Wrap heard exciting things about the art/animation style of Tiana.
The same thing was said about Wish too.
Unlike Wish, we actually have a good reason to believe this might be true.

Well, this time at least.

So, this won’t be like that.
DisneyJedi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:41 am Any idea if we're ever going to get a teaser trailer or any form of announcement any time soon?
Probably not til D23.
friendoftheotherside

Post by friendoftheotherside »

After yesterday’s news, what is more likely: Tiana being morphed into a movie or being cancelled? I really hope that we get to see this series, but it’s seems more and more that will be cancelled. Disney+ doesn’t seem to care about these animated series. Iwaju is being dropped without any marketing. Pixar’s Win or Lose was supposed to be released last September. And months later we still don’t have a new date :(
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think it's pretty clear that Disney+ isn't the money making machine they thought it would be, so they don't want to invest in new shows, especially high quality animated ones. We'll get the ones they already made like Win or Lose and Iwaju, but I don't think they'll develop new ones, at least not long form TV series.

As for Tiana, I think the last time we had an update was last September, so I think it could still happen, but I don't see them turning it into a movie like they did with Moana because as much as I like Princess and the Frog, it's definitely not as successful as Frozen, Moana or Zootopia, and a movie isn't a guaranteed success. I'm pretty sure the only reason they made this series in the first place was because of the new ride.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:18 pm I think it's pretty clear that Disney+ isn't the money making machine they thought it would be, so they don't want to invest in new shows, especially high quality animated ones. We'll get the ones they already made like Win or Lose and Iwaju, but I don't think they'll develop new ones, at least not long form TV series.

As for Tiana, I think the last time we had an update was last September, so I think it could still happen, but I don't see them turning it into a movie like they did with Moana because as much as I like Princess and the Frog, it's definitely not as successful as Frozen, Moana or Zootopia, and a movie isn't a guaranteed success. I'm pretty sure the only reason they made this series in the first place was because of the new ride.
October, actually, but yes Tiana will likely stay as a Disney+ series because it was only a modest success with $271M WW on a budget $65-$105M.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Farerb wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:18 pm I think it's pretty clear that Disney+ isn't the money making machine they thought it would be, so they don't want to invest in new shows, especially high quality animated ones. We'll get the ones they already made like Win or Lose and Iwaju, but I don't think they'll develop new ones, at least not long form TV series.

Totally agree with you. Yesterday I went to Disney on ice here in Spain and when Tiana appeared people were not very enthusiastic with her. In Spain She’s not quite popular and the TV series is a good chance to bring her back and to make kids know her better but it's hard to transform her into a popular character like Moana
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wouldn't mind if the TV series ended up getting mashed into a sequel somehow, even though I would've never expected one for TP&TF (and like all fairy tales it felt like a very closed story). Especially since I think they've been trying to work on the animation so that it looks better for risk of being criticized that they didn't give the property as much attention because the cast of characters are Black. Otherwise, I'd have expected the animation to turn out much more shoddy, so the film having a diverse cast may actually have improved its animation quality. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Animation official website has been updated to include Moana 2 as their next feature and remove it from the Disney+ Originals section. Tiana is still featured there so that means the series is still planned. It'll be interesting to see when it's released cause I always assumed they wanted to have the series coincide with the new ride's opening, which I think is supposed to be later this year.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

But part of the reason it hasn't being raking in cash is the lack of compelling original content. Their back catalog alone hasn't been enough on its own. They did say early on they would be operating at a loss for a while anyway, but they do expect to be profitable as early as this year is what I think I read. But they would have gotten then faster if they had more original stuff that people actually wanted to see. I think we will still see them continuing to try, because its hard to just go back to the days before they launched it. Cable tv is a dying medium and people do not buy physical anymore. This is the only future they got, they have to get it right.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

friendoftheotherside wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:46 pm After yesterday’s news, what is more likely: Tiana being morphed into a movie or being cancelled? I really hope that we get to see this series, but it’s seems more and more that will be cancelled. Disney+ doesn’t seem to care about these animated series. Iwaju is being dropped without any marketing. Pixar’s Win or Lose was supposed to be released last September. And months later we still don’t have a new date :(
It's gonna be a series. Unlike a 6-episode series that is an overarching story that could become a movie like Moana 2, Tiana feels episodic. And its already alleged to be hand-drawn on a specific budget.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:33 pm I wouldn't mind if the TV series ended up getting mashed into a sequel somehow, even though I would've never expected one for TP&TF (and like all fairy tales it felt like a very closed story). Especially since I think they've been trying to work on the animation so that it looks better for risk of being criticized that they didn't give the property as much attention because the cast of characters are Black. Otherwise, I'd have expected the animation to turn out much more shoddy, so the film having a diverse cast may actually have improved its animation quality. :lol:
I prefer it stay a series since it is said to be episodic than one story like Moana 2 is, especially since Tiana will be more successful on Disney+ than in the movies.