Mufasa: The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Mufasa: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Barry Jenkins says Mufasa prequel will have 'a ton of familiar faces,' 'wonderful musical numbers'
https://ew.com/movies/barry-jenkins-muf ... l-numbers/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

D82 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:26 pm Barry Jenkins says Mufasa prequel will have 'a ton of familiar faces,' 'wonderful musical numbers'
https://ew.com/movies/barry-jenkins-muf ... l-numbers/
Well we know Rafiki, Timon and Pumbaa are in the movie based on the footage and young Scar was seen in the footage, too. I think the only others we could see are Zazu (young and old in modern day), Sarabi (young and old), and younger versions of the Hyenas. I don't think we'll see Nala or Simba.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Do we know who’s doing the music for this? I feel like I missed that this was actually going to be a musical.

Still not feeling this that much, but it being a musical is at least somewhat intriguing.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:17 am Do we know who’s doing the music for this?
Pharrell Williams and Nicholas Britell.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:11 pm Well we know Rafiki, Timon and Pumbaa are in the movie based on the footage and young Scar was seen in the footage, too. I think the only others we could see are Zazu (young and old in modern day), Sarabi (young and old), and younger versions of the Hyenas. I don't think we'll see Nala or Simba.
Yes, most likely those will be the returning characters. I hadn't thought about it, but this will probably be partly a romantic story, as they'll have to show how Mufasa and Sarabi met and fell in love.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If it does feature a love story, they could always borrow "Love WIll Find a Way" from Simba's Pride as a love theme, I've always thought that song was very pretty! I love "We Are One" and "Not One of Us," too... They could fit those here, too, perhaps Mufasa's father sings the former and everyone else sings the latter to Scar or something? That said, they may someday make Simba's Pride and would want to save songs for that anyway... They could always borrow some of the original stuff from the Broadway show that they didn't use if they can make them fit to a new context--"Endless Night," "Shadowland," "He Lives in You," "Chow Down," etc.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:49 am
PatrickvD wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:17 am Do we know who’s doing the music for this?
Pharrell Williams and Nicholas Britell.
Sounds like a combo that could go in literally any direction.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Well, everyone, before the Oscars starts in less than 30 minutes, here's my newest article for my blog, kinda related to the Oscars, as it is focused on the upcoming #MufasaTheLionKing and why it could be a live-action Disney film that ends up being an unexpected surprise, with one of the reasons being Oscar winner Barry Jenkins at the helm of the movie: https://alsaysall.wordpress.com/2023/03 ... -surprise/.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:35 pm Well, everyone, before the Oscars starts in less than 30 minutes, here's my newest article for my blog, kinda related to the Oscars, as it is focused on the upcoming #MufasaTheLionKing and why it could be a live-action Disney film that ends up being an unexpected surprise, with one of the reasons being Oscar winner Barry Jenkins at the helm of the movie: https://alsaysall.wordpress.com/2023/03 ... -surprise/.

Yeah, I think the best thing this film has going for it is the fact that it is creating an original (put like a hundred asterisks around that) story. Jenkins' involvement, though, doesn't really move the needle either way for me. He's certainly a talented filmmaker, and I can almost appreciate them bringing in Oscar-level talent for one of their remakes, but even that just has me thinking this is only going to be the "Eternals" of the Disney remake canon.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatchofBlue wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:52 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:35 pm Well, everyone, before the Oscars starts in less than 30 minutes, here's my newest article for my blog, kinda related to the Oscars, as it is focused on the upcoming #MufasaTheLionKing and why it could be a live-action Disney film that ends up being an unexpected surprise, with one of the reasons being Oscar winner Barry Jenkins at the helm of the movie: https://alsaysall.wordpress.com/2023/03 ... -surprise/.

Yeah, I think the best thing this film has going for it is the fact that it is creating an original (put like a hundred asterisks around that) story. Jenkins' involvement, though, doesn't really move the needle either way for me. He's certainly a talented filmmaker, and I can almost appreciate them bringing in Oscar-level talent for one of their remakes, but even that just has me thinking this is only going to be the "Eternals" of the Disney remake canon.
Hopefully, it can be a better version of Eternals than what Eternals was since Barry Jenkins is 3 for 3 with his track record so far.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

"The Sweetest Young Lion": Scar's Lion King Prequel Backstory Teased By Star
Mufasa: The Lion King's Kelvin Harrison Jr. teases Scar's backstory in the prequel, saying he's "still very spicy" but also "the sweetest young lion."
https://screenrant.com/lion-king-preque ... -response/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:27 am "The Sweetest Young Lion": Scar's Lion King Prequel Backstory Teased By Star
Mufasa: The Lion King's Kelvin Harrison Jr. teases Scar's backstory in the prequel, saying he's "still very spicy" but also "the sweetest young lion."
https://screenrant.com/lion-king-preque ... -response/
Man, I can't wait to see Chavalier at the movies this weekend to get a taste of Kelvin Harrison Jr. and what he'll bring to the voice role of Young Scar.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney hopes this film will mark the start of another franchise.
“Mufasa: The Lion King,” a photorealistic prequel directed by Barry Jenkins, the Oscar-winning “Moonlight” screenwriter, is scheduled for release in 2024. Mr. Bailey said “The Lion King” could expand into “a big, epic saga” like the “Star Wars” franchise. “There’s a lot of room to run if we can find the stories,” he said.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/04/busi ... ction.html
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

“This could be the next Star Wars” has never been said about anything that actually went on to become the next Star Wars.

This reeks of pure sadness.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:40 pm Disney hopes this film will mark the start of another franchise.
“Mufasa: The Lion King,” a photorealistic prequel directed by Barry Jenkins, the Oscar-winning “Moonlight” screenwriter, is scheduled for release in 2024. Mr. Bailey said “The Lion King” could expand into “a big, epic saga” like the “Star Wars” franchise. “There’s a lot of room to run if we can find the stories,” he said.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/04/busi ... ction.html
Oof. As much as I hope Mufasa is good because of Barry Jenkins being involved, I hope they don’t get what they want from this.
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Sotiris wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:40 pm“There’s a lot of room to run if we can find the stories,” he said.
"We have no stories to tell, but want to make this into a franchise anyway. We'll find something, somewhere. Who cares about the stories, anyway?"
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

^ :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Nandor wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:14 am"We have no stories to tell, but want to make this into a franchise anyway. We'll find something, somewhere. Who cares about the stories, anyway?"
:lol: Doesn't that apply to every franchise though? :P
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I wonder how they plan to expand the franchise. Will they make more prequels that continue the story of the upcoming one, prequels/spin offs about other characters like Timon and Pumbaa, or sequels?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Looks like Mufasa is said to be a good movie, per two sources: https://x.com/thevscooper/status/167085 ... 21028?s=46, https://x.com/cineunfold/status/1661811 ... 15907?s=46.

Seems they just need to fix the third act, which they still have time to do.