Is Disney's Revival Era Over?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: A New Disney Era?

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:21 pmThere's also a debate whether Ralph 2 and Frozen II belong in this era or the previous one, meaning if you consider it to just be about streaming then they belong to the Revival Era, and the fact that both are sequels of Revival movies.
I consider the Revival Era to have started with Meet the Robinsons, the first WDAS film where Lasseter was credited as an executive producer and to have ended with Ralph Breaks the Internet, the last film he was credited with the title.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Is Disney's Revival Era Over?

Post by Farerb »

Since Ralph Breaks the Internet till Frozen III (Frozen IV?) Disney made only four original movies and only one of them turned out to be a critical success. So maybe this new era is "The Sequel Era".
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:37 pm Since Ralph Breaks the Internet till Frozen III (Frozen IV?) Disney made only four original movies and only one of them turned out to be a critical success. So maybe this new era is "The Sequel Era".
And the success of the sequels will just bring in more sequels.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

In that case we can expect Encanto 2 coming out in 2027, giving room for anticipation between Frozen 3 (2026) and 4 (2028) :milkbuds:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:37 pm Disney made only four original movies and only one of them turned out to be a critical success.
Actually, TWO were critical success. Raya and Encanto.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

To me, the Revival Era ended after Frozen 2 and the new era we're in started with Raya and the Last Dragon. Why? Because both sequels in the 2010s at least had some input from Lasseter, sure you could say that with the other films before Wish but Raya and the Last Dragon was visibly affected the most when Lasseter left and was Jennifer Lee's first undertaking of handling a movie that is it's own thing. I know my reasoning is so flimsy but that's because my OCD can't handle an era starting in 2018 and not have exactly 10 films in it. :lol: ๐Ÿ™ƒ
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I never understood why people determine "eras" according to who's in charge. No one thinks the Disney Renaissance started with The Black Cauldron/The Great Mouse Detective and ended with Chicken Little and calls it the "Micheal Eisner era".

If that was the case then Disney truly only had four eras.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

The Disney Revival ended with Frozen 2. Then we got the Slump Age, which included Raya and the Last Dragon, Encanto, Strange World and Wish. Now we are about to enter the next age: The Sequel Age, as all the upcoming WDAS films we know of are sequels: Moana 2, Zootopia 2, Frozen 3 and Frozen 4. And there has also been mention of a possible sequel to Encanto. Disney seems to want to play it safe with established IPs instead of giving us good original films! We need a a new Renaissance way better than the Revival!

And I can't help but think that in a way, this is the same as the so called Disney "Cheapquels" of the 90's and early 2000's. It was Iger and Lasseter that canceled those. Now Iger is sequel happy... I don't get it. And back then, two of those were good enough to warrant theatrical releases (Return to Neverland in 2002 and The Jungle Book 2 im 2003) yet they were not included in the official WDAS canon. And now these are? Especially Moana 2 that is being mostly made at the Vancouver studio and it's a rework of the cancelled series much like Tarzan and Jane and Atlantis 2 Milo's Return, among others of the era. What in the world is going on???
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Is the Revival/Slump Era Over????
Good Riddance!! ๐Ÿ‘‹
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

I always had the feeling the Revival era ended once they had their movies that failed in every way with both Box Office performances and critics, starting with Strange World and later on Wish. Sure, it doesnt automatically make the movie good, but Raya has a 93% and 97% score on Rotten Tomatoes from both audiences and critics. Encanto is also a strong IP in the veins of the Revival Era (and both the Soundtrack and Bruno topped the US charts๐ŸŽถ). Rayas and Encantos Box Office performances can be always blamed to the pandemic, but Wish and Strange World? Nope. But 2 movies alone cant establish an era. If Moana fails with both critics and audiences (which I hope it doesnt๐Ÿคž), I would consider it the beginning of the Slump Era, regarding the many upcoming sequels.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not sure what I'd call the new era exactly. It seems a TINY bit more experimental, but not a massive difference. Especially if Wish does end up being the beginning of an uphill climb for their films, Strange World will seem like an outlier. Encanto/Raya were affected by the pandemic whereas SW was an undeniable failure, in large part because of the sci-fi genre and the ugly style/design they went with.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:57 am I always had the feeling the Revival era ended once they had their movies that failed in every way with both Box Office performances and critics, starting with Strange World and later on Wish. Sure, it doesnt automatically make the movie good, but Raya has a 93% and 97% score on Rotten Tomatoes from both audiences and critics. Encanto is also a strong IP in the veins of the Revival Era (and both the Soundtrack and Bruno topped the US charts๐ŸŽถ). Rayas and Encantos Box Office performances can be always blamed to the pandemic, but Wish and Strange World? Nope. But 2 movies alone cant establish an era. If Moana fails with both critics and audiences (which I hope it doesnt๐Ÿคž), I would consider it the beginning of the Slump Era, regarding the many upcoming sequels.
I agree. We're approaching a crossroads over the next few years. There is still TECHNICALLY room for a turnaround here. That said, the signs are not looking promising.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Yea, we're in another depression era at this point. Maybe similar to how they were right before the og little mermaid released. Hopefully it doesn't take too long before we find this generations "little mermaid".
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Do you think Disney may become too desperate to the point where they decide to do CGI remakes to their hand drawn films?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Probably just a matter of time.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:36 amDo you think Disney may become too desperate to the point where they decide to do CGI remakes to their hand drawn films?
What do you think The Lion King (2019) was? :wink: I'm more concerned with them making CG sequels to their 2D films. Tiana is most likely going to be the first one. :(
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm sure they would have if they had kept doing DTVs like those horrendous Swan Princess sequels.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

I'm glad I have not seen most of the movies from this era. Saw its start with Tangled which I like. Saw big hero 6 on the telly and thought it was mediocre. both frozens I was forced to watch and found offensive. zootopia was generic. :down:

I think the only good Disney is pre-bob iger Disney. I'm fine ending with Home on the Range. Would rewatch that over new "Disney" anyday.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

twihard wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:19 pm. Zootopia was generic. :down:
I defy you to come up with another animated movie that resembles it. Not saying you have to like it, it's not even one of my favorites, but It's far from generic. They tried a number of things you wouldn't normally expect in a Disney movie.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Kyle wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:41 pm
twihard wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:19 pm. Zootopia was generic. :down:
I defy you to come up with another animated movie that resembles it. Not saying you have to like it, it's not even one of my favorites, but It's far from generic. They tried a number of things you wouldn't normally expect in a Disney movie.
Sing and Sing 2. Elemental. The Secret Life of Pets. I think the first pets movie was a huge hit. Not as much as zootopia/zootropolis but close to $1 billion and #6 at the box office with zoo at #4. But the second pets (which I didn't see) I heard had a heavy decline in box office so I'm wondering if Zoo will do the same thing.