DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 am 
Platinum Edition

How many of these have you watched and which one's your favorite?

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella

Annie

Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

The Music Man

Once Upon a Mattress

Into the Woods

Honorable mention: Geppetto, an original musical film which was later adapted into a stage musical.

Trivia: Disney was planning a musical film based on the 1954 Peter Pan Broadway musical but it ultimately got cancelled.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm 
Collector's Edition

My favorite would be Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, I love the songs and the cast, I mean, Whitney, Whoopi and Brandy on the same movie! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:49 am 
Platinum Edition

I've seen Cinderella, Into the Woods, and Gepetto. When Gepetto came out I wanted to see it so badly I bought the soundtrack that came out some weeks before just to get some kind of preview of it. But I really mainly wanted to see it because I like Pinocchio and The Blue Fairy. I can hardly remember how the film went at all except I liked the Blue Fairy's costume and special effects. Cinderella was a big event for me, I was so excited for it and it didn't let me down. It's actually really strange I never wanted to buy it as a kid. I just bought it a few years ago and watch it often. That one's my favorite. What I like best about it is the design and special effects, and it gets points for great acting and singing (from some people) and for just being really fun. Plus it's even slightly feminist in the end when Cinderella runs away. It's one of the best versions of that story. Into the Woods is both a film and stage play that start out great and then are kind of dark and boring and meandering in the end. But it has some great acting, singing, and most of all reeeeally good costumes and pretty good production deisgn. But the original stage play, which was filmed, is faaaar better. Buy that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am 
Platinum Edition

I'm not in love with any of these films, but I've seen R&H's Cinderella, Annie, Once Upon a Mattress, Into the Woods, and bits and pieces of South Pacific. Bernadette Peters is my favorite part of Cinderella, and I missed her in Into the Woods. Same with Carol Burnett; Once Upon a Mattress isn't very good aside from Burnett, and I miss her in Annie. Meryl Streep and Kathy Bates are great actors, but I just wasn't feeling either of them in these films. This version of Annie is only worth watching for Audra McDonald, imo. Cinderella's probably my favorite from this list, actually, and maybe a little of that's down to nostalgia, but I'd say Brandy is the only really bad part of the movie, imo. Well, her and the gaudy set/costumes. The music, stepsisters, the prince, Whitney, Alexander--all great. Whoopi is funny even if her (brief) singing is painful.

I need to sit down and watch all of South Pacific someday.