DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 am 
Platinum Edition

This thread is dedicated to the "A Twisted Tale" book series. Five novels have been released so far. Is anyone a fan of the series?

A collection of the first three books has also been released.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

The covers have definitely improved over time. I'd say the TLM and B&tB stories have the best covers. Improvement by the artist over time is the only explanation I can come up with, because you'd have thought the Jafar cover and especially the Maleficent cover would have been much more visually striking. Does anyone who owns one of these books know the name of the artist that creates the artwork for the hardback covers?

I can't call myself a fan. The TLM book will be the one that I go by. If I like it, I might pick up another (likely Aladdin, although the B&tB book has the best reviews).

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm 
Limited Edition

The only things about this series that I like are the covers. The reviews make clear that the books themselves are utter trash. BATB is the best-reviewed but even then, it has a positive rating of about 40% which only seems like a step-up because the prior books were so critically reviled. I do want to read that one though because it included some interesting additions to the continuity of the original film, such as the prince's portrait functioning like Dorian Gray's portrait.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 pm 
Platinum Edition

I don't let reviews do the thinking for me. Some things that are hated I like, and some things that are liked I despise. :shrug: They are basically fanfiction, and I do read some fanfiction. I'll try out the one book to see how I feel.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm 

I read the first three and I enjoyed them a lot. When you read them, it definitely feels like a cool fanfiction. The writing could be better (yet I read them in my first language so perhaps that was a translation fault, not the writing style), but the ideas and plot are great. I also really enjoyed the characters, some of them much better than in the original movies. Once Upon A Dream was my favourite so far, and As Old as Time is at the bottom of my list (perhaps I was really tired of Beauty and the Beast-themed novels when I read it, there were so many of them!). I'm excited about Mulan and The Little Mermaid's once. And I really hope to see the books for Cinderella and Snow White. Probably not a chance for a Pocahontas one :roll:. And yeah, I agree the covers are amazing. But I wonder why there is so many releases with different covers, for the first two books especially?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:46 pm 
Limited Edition

When the first two books were released, they had a different style of covers that was more realistic with a silhouette of the princess with a live-action background. For some reason, by the time they got to the BATB book, they decided to go with the more animated type of covers they've been using now. I think on Amazon they also have a third wave of covers that are black and white.