Turning Red

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
scarletunicorn

Re: Turning Red

Post by scarletunicorn »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I told my parents what a good movie this is. My mom basically said that it's not her cup of tea, girls shouldn't get a movie like this if boys don't also get a puberty movie. I mentioned Luca as a coming-of-age story, but she's so focused on thinking that the whole movie focuses on a girl getting her period. Omg. And she's a woman. I don't get it.
Hello. :wave: You don't know me but I was a lurker on this forum who has always enjoyed reading your posts. You always have such insightful opinions and things to share. I just wanted to comment that I pre-screened this movie for myself before showing it to my children because I heard on Facebook how explicit it was. After having watched it, I agree with critics and your mother. It made me very uncomfortable to see a family friendly movie talk about menstruation and treat it like a joke. I also was disturbed by how these teenage girls were so ready to sexualize boys their age (or boys even older).

It was a movie that blatantly disrespected parental authority and was clearly biased in siding with kids...you know the people who haven't fully emotionally or physically matured yet and basically have brains that are wired to make the worst decisions. I felt so bad for the mother in the movie who I felt was the real unsung hero but she was disrespected over and over. The most shocking thing to me was how her young daughter started to (I'm using spoiler tags on this word because I consider it an explicit slur and I feel ashamed even using the word in polite company) twerk at her and this was cheered on her by horrible friends who all reminded me of hoodlums from a gang and must clearly have no parents of their own. No wonder Mei's mother did not want her daughter to associate with them. I would have shut the movie off if not for the fact that it was basically over by then.

I think the only thing positive value this movie can teach is for parents and how they need to properly screen their children's friends and the home lives of those friends. Hope to hear more from you on the matter. :)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, now that this tread`s been revived, I thought I might give my opinion about this movie. Which is mostly not a good one. And that is was meh. All of the meta-jokes, quick cutting and editing was utterly terrible. It was executed for an contemporary tween audience and is going to date the film terribly. I really disliked the design of Mei, as she looked as a stop motion clay-figure in the same vein as the characters from Luca. None of the characters were particularly engaging or memorable. Besides, the premise was beyond stupid (I mean, a regular girl who transforms herself into a panda in a contemporary setting? Come on). The only thing that I liked was how Mei realized the benefits of being a Panda and decided to keep it`s form at the end. It gave the film the substance and depth that it needed. Otherwise, the movie was bland, forgettable and too quick and contemporary. I`ve never been a Pixar fanboy, but this movie and Luca are examples of how blatant Pixar has become recently.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Thu May 05, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Great review. Glad I’m not the only one who feels the characters from Turning Red and Luca are pretty unattractive as animated characters go.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

carolinakid wrote:Great review. Glad I’m not the only one who feels the characters from Turning Red and Luca are pretty unattractive as animated characters go.
Really? Thank you, Carolinakid :) I was afraid that I was coming off as completely spiteful towards the film. But to be fair, my post wasn`t a review, but rather an elaborate statement :P
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm being nitpicky, but Mei is the main character; Ming is her mom. I'm glad that she kept her panda, too. Luca + Turning Red are two of my most favorite Pixar films, so I loved them, but that's the beauty of fandom, everyone has different things they like!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm being nitpicky, but Mei is the main character; Ming is her mom. I'm glad that she kept her panda, too. Luca + Turning Red are two of my most favorite Pixar films, so I loved them, but that's the beauty of fandom, everyone has different things they like!
Ooops! Sorry, I`ll correct that one!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I just got 3 new Blu-rays.
Turning Red 2022
The Gnome-Mobile 1967
Hello, Dolly! 1969

I got West Side Story 2021 and Encanto 2021 earlier this year.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Manga Companion to Pixar Film ‘Turning Red’ to Launch in 2023
https://variety.com/2022/biz/asia/turni ... 235297098/

Turning Red’s’ Domee Shi Draws From Her Past
https://variety.com/2022/film/features/ ... 235389199/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

New interview:
‘Turning Red’ Director Domee Shi & Producer Lindsey Collins On Mother-Daughter Relationships And Embracing Your “Inner Beast”
https://deadline.com/2022/12/turning-re ... 235190989/
blackcauldron85

New 4*Town Music Video Now Available on Disney+ Under “Turning Red” Extras
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... ed-extras/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:13 pm New 4*Town Music Video Now Available on Disney+ Under “Turning Red” Extras
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... ed-extras/
The music video is now on YouTube as well. It's almost like a little short film, right? And animated in an anime-inspired style. I liked that it was told from Tyler's perspective and explored a bit more how he felt. It makes you understand and like the character a bit more. It's strange they're releasing this now. I wonder if it's part of the Oscar campaign for the film.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:31 pmI told my parents what a good movie this is. My mom basically said that it's not her cup of tea, girls shouldn't get a movie like this if boys don't also get a puberty movie. I mentioned Luca as a coming-of-age story, but she's so focused on thinking that the whole movie focuses on a girl getting her period. Omg. And she's a woman. I don't get it.
Like a movie about a boy getting his first nocturnal emission?

As for the movie, the scene with the boy flopping around like a fish was hilarious.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I liked the video but why did it have such a tragic ending?!?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:09 pm Like a movie about a boy getting his first nocturnal emission?
I don't think a period and a nocturnal emission is the same thing...? For one, every girl has a period, not every guy has the latter (I know I never did). For another, while periods are related to how children are made (as far as being a basic part of how the body functions), it's not innately sexual like the latter is.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I was half joking, but even if it's not the same, it's the closest thing we get when it comes to boys. And the topic here was children reaching puberty.

And about the latter, I don't fully agree with how it was shown in the movie. She shows zero interest in the boy all the other girls are in love with, but as soon as she gets her period, she too suddenly feels attracted by him? That insinuates the attraction is purely sexual.
blackcauldron85

Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:07 pm I liked the video but why did it have such a tragic ending?!?
I liked it too...serves Tyler right for stealing the CD. But poor Tyler too.

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:09 pm
blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:31 pmI told my parents what a good movie this is. My mom basically said that it's not her cup of tea, girls shouldn't get a movie like this if boys don't also get a puberty movie... I don't get it.
Like a movie about a boy getting his first nocturnal emission?
I still don't know what she wanted out of a boy puberty movie!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:10 am I liked it too...serves Tyler right for stealing the CD. But poor Tyler too.
I wanted it to be empty too but that he'd return it and apologize and they'd listen to the CD together.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:07 pm I liked the video but why did it have such a tragic ending?!?
I've now noticed the end credits are not included on YouTube. I watched the video on Disney+ (it has been added in the extras section of Turning Red) and the end credits feature drawings of the scene in the movie at the concert where the girls find out Tyler is also a fan of 4*Town and they all become friends, which makes it end on a happier note.
blackcauldron85

Another new interview:
‘Turning Red’ Transformed Domee Shi Into One of Pixar’s Biggest Stars
https://www.indiewire.com/2023/01/turni ... 234796086/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

I still think Turning Red will overcome all odds and win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars.