DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:46 am 
Platinum Edition

They wouldn't keep Lasseter for toys and the parks. His creative input is most valued in their animation output, so that's where they'd keep him. I actually am surprised they are considering keeping him. Yikes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 am 
Platinum Edition

Semaj wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
The fact that Disney feel they are too dependent on his presence during the production of movies says that they really need to come up with a production system that makes them less dependent on just one or two key individuals.

That may be what Disney needs to do in the long run. The studio has a history, dating back to Walt Disney himself, where many talented artists were driven away by the whim of a singular overlord. They need more relaxed "unit" system, like the classic Warner Bros. cartoons, where different creative teams are trusted to turn out their own projects with minimal interference.

Unfortunately, Disney would rather have a more dependable factory-like approach of consistent financial success over anything else. Essentially Disney is the joke The Lego Movie makes with "Everything Is Awesome"--create the same thing repeatedly with just enough difference in the veneer, receive success and accolades repeatedly.

I wouldn't expect Lasseter to come back humble at all. If anything, he'll be worse because he'll have been validated in the belief that he's above all consequences. But this is the state of the world, where powerful men get away with murder and all human decency is dead. It's one thing for his behavior to be ignored for years, but to go right back to implicitly condoning it after having been blown wide open would be an even bigger disgrace on Disney's part.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm 
Limited Edition

not surprised they'll bring him back at all. Disney is absolutely horrified at the thought of having another Treasure Planet style flop...so terrified that they've absolutely refused to risk another hand drawn film for feel it flopping would taint their winning streak. So there's no way they'll let go of the man they feel is responsible for that winning streak.

Once they keep him, watch them ramp up more "girl power" movies(live action and animated) to cover up for it. In fact Im expecting them to announce a brand new animated film with a strong female main character/characters around the same time its let slip that Lassater is back(they wont make a big announcement about Jon's return either, they'll try to keep it quiet, but the media will slowly find out.)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 pm 
Gold Collection

Rather than bringing handdrawn animation into this argument, the thing that I dread about Lasseter being back is that he might not have learned any lessons from his leave of absence. After being very disillusioned with what kind of person he is, I don't care about what his contributions are or his standards. I would never want him back. Period. I am not all for giving second chances to someone who reportedly is guilty of misconduct, whether they meant it or not. I would not be so forgiving or trusting.

Semaj wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
The fact that Disney feel they are too dependent on his presence during the production of movies says that they really need to come up with a production system that makes them less dependent on just one or two key individuals.

That may be what Disney needs to do in the long run. The studio has a history, dating back to Walt Disney himself, where many talented artists were driven away by the whim of a singular overlord. They need more relaxed "unit" system, like the classic Warner Bros. cartoons, where different creative teams are trusted to turn out their own projects with minimal interference.

I would gladly vote for this.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 am 
Platinum Edition

I don't think Disney will come up with a whole new female empowered film just to make people feel better about keeping Lasseter. For one, people should see that doesn't have anything to do with the problem in any way, and two, if they think it's ok to keep him, they might as well think it's ok to do whatever they want.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

And it was already reported that he was repeatedly told about his behaviour for years and he didn't change how he acted towards his female employees. So Lasseter already had his "second chance."

That's the thing that astounds me about these stories coming out of Hollywood. How do you not see the other person is uncomfortable and change your behaviour accordingly? Isn't that called empathy and understanding? And in some cases (like Louis C.K. masturbating in front of women), what even enters the mind to do it in the first place?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It's May 21. I'm patiently waiting for Disney to announce their choice in what they will do with Lasseter.

If they have not come to a decision by now, that seems to point in the direction that they are still struggling with letting him go and are contemplating keeping him aboard in some way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12