Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Encanto

Post by D82 »

DisneyEra wrote:Next Saturday is the Producers Guild of America Awards. Whichever wins that will be the front-runner for the Oscar the following Sunday.
The Producers Guild Award matches the Oscar winner most of the times, so I think you're right about that. However, it's also possible this is one of the few years they don't. We'll see what happens.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney released numbers for Encanto on Disney+.
On average, “Encanto” streamers have watched the film five times with the title accumulating over 180 million re-watches globally since launch.
Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/disne ... e-musicals
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:Disney released numbers for Encanto on Disney+.
On average, “Encanto” streamers have watched the film five times with the title accumulating over 180 million re-watches globally since launch.
Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/disne ... e-musicals
Attachments
es-Your-reac323078343.jpg
es-Your-reac323078343.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ to be Performed Live at Oscars on March 27
https://wdwnt.com/?p=641947
blackcauldron85

Lin-Manuel Miranda Explains The Only Songs Cut From Encanto
https://screenrant.com/encanto-songs-cu ... l-miranda/
although there were not many songs excised from the film, the few that were are all attributed to Mirabel and were a specific type of song...
Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:...they're all cut Mirabel "I want" songs, because the "I want" song is the hardest song to write in any movie...It's not enough to get the assignment right of what does this character want. It has to soar in a really specific way. And if it doesn't pass the test of a kid singing with a hairbrush in the mirror, it doesn't win."
Miranda claims he had a tough time with Encanto's "I Want" song, explaining, "I struggled with it the most here...You have to really understand what the journey is to be able to then go backwards and write what the main character really wants and needs. And those things really have to line up for us to feel satisfied."
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for posting! I wish we could listen to the cut versions of Mirabel's "I want" song.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It would be interesting to hear alternatives, since I'm not crazy about WoaM aside from the beginning and ending. I can understand why it was difficult here, too. Mirabel doesn't really have a specific want exactly... She doesn't want to have powers per se, it's more that she wants to be loved really rather than being treated like an outsider in her own family.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

A fake infomercial from Jimmy Kimmel starting Lin-Manuel:

https://youtu.be/DU7siR3Mw98
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:The only cut songs I really have, they're all cut Mirabel "I want" songs, because the "I want" song is the hardest song to write in any movie. I struggled with it the most on Moana with "How Far I'll Go." I struggled with it the most here for two reasons. One, you have to really understand what the journey is to be able to then go backwards and write what the main character really wants and needs. And those things really have to line up for us to feel satisfied. Then the other thing is, it's just intimidating, because Disney has the best "I want" songs. You've got "Part of Your World," and "Colors of the Wind," and "Let It Go," and "Into the Unknown," and "Reflection." It's just an intimidating legacy.
Source: https://collider.com/lin-manuel-miranda ... interview/

Neither "Colors of the Wind" nor "Let It Go" is an 'I Want' song. Him mislabeling "Colors of the Wind" is especially egregious given that Pocahontas has an actual 'I Want' song in her movie. It's called "Just Around the Riverbend". You'd think this self-proclaimed Disney fanboy who is also a songwriter would be able to tell the difference. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Perhaps he only picked up the phrase from working with Menken without much real understanding of what it means. :lol: He may think it's simply any song by a female character.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Encanto won the PGA Award :clap:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Encanto can become the 14th WDAS feature to win an Oscar tomorrow night. Disney has released 60 animated features in the canon, & these 13 are the only ones to win an Oscar:

Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs: Honorary Oscar
Fantasia: 2 Honorary Oscars
Pinocchio: Song & Score
Dumbo: Score
The Little Mermaid: Song & Score
Beauty & the Beast: Song & Score
Aladdin: Song & Score
The Lion King: Song & Score
Pocahontas: Song & Score (Musical/Comedy)
Tarzan: Song
Frozen: Song & Animated Feature
Big Hero 6: Animated Feature
Zootopia: Animated Feature

Good Luck Encanto.
Attachments
662105-image-a-54_1467031107999 (1).jpg
662105-image-a-54_1467031107999 (1).jpg (249.82 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Disney's Divinity

And every film on that list is certainly deserving of an Oscar other than Big Hero 6. Encanto is deserving, too, imo. It's a shame Raya was released the same year, it's also deserving, but I'd say there are a lot of other great Disney films that didn't receive anything (Bambi, Dalmatians, Cinderella, L&tT, The Jungle Book, etc.)
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:And every film on that list is certainly deserving of an Oscar other than Big Hero 6. Encanto is deserving, too, imo. It's a shame Raya was released the same year, it's also deserving, but I'd say there are a lot of other great Disney films that didn't receive anything (Bambi, Dalmatians, Cinderella, L&tT, The Jungle Book, etc.)
Even if Raya wasn't delayed to 2021, it still would have lost to Pixar's Soul for 2020. BH6's win, I look as a make-up win for Brave beating Wreck-It Ralph. Tangled should have won Song in 2010, they gave it to Toy Story 3. Lilo & Stitch would of won in 2002 for Animated Feature but lost to Spirited Away. But Spirited Away was released in Japan in 2001, had it be nominated that year, it would of went against Shrek. It had a limited US release in 2002, and they nominated it for that year. Cinderella losing Best Song for Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo was terrible. Sleeping Beauty also should have won for Score for 1959.
Disney's Divinity

Wreck-It Ralph didn't deserve it either, imo. But I agree about Tangled in Song.

As for the part about Raya being delayed, I don't know about that, both Raya and Soul feature diversity, so not an uneven fight.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyEra wrote:Cinderella losing Best Song for Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo was terrible. Sleeping Beauty also should have won for Score for 1959.
I was curious what they lost to. The song "Mona Lisa" was a hit in 1950 and listening to it now, outside of the context of "Captain Carey U.S.A.", it's a nice song. Although I would still have picked any of the songs from Cinderella over it. "Sleeping Beauty" lost Best Score to "Porgy and Bess", but I can't say anything, because I haven't seen that movie.

I have seen "Doctor Dolittle" and "The Bare Necessitates" from "The Jungle Book" absolutely would have gotten my vote over "Talk to the Animals." The Academy showered that movie with nominations, but "The Jungle Book" and its songs are certainly more beloved. "The Jungle Book" was even the bigger hit back in 1967, with "Doctor Dolittle" being a flop for 20th Century Fox.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

1950- Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo no question

1967 for me was tougher. I really like 4 out of the 5.
Talk to the Animals is my least favorite but I still like it. The Look of Love is absolutely a Burt Bacharach classic that defines the late ‘60s to me. The Bare Necessities is great but my favorite song from The Jungle Book is I Wanna Be Like You. My favorite of the 4 is definitely Thoroughly Modern Millie as sung by the legendary Julie Andrews.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

estefan wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:Cinderella losing Best Song for Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo was terrible. Sleeping Beauty also should have won for Score for 1959.
I was curious what they lost to. The song "Mona Lisa" was a hit in 1950 and listening to it now, outside of the context of "Captain Carey U.S.A.", it's a nice song. Although I would still have picked any of the songs from Cinderella over it. "Sleeping Beauty" lost Best Score to "Porgy and Bess", but I can't say anything, because I haven't seen that movie.

I have seen "Doctor Dolittle" and "The Bare Necessitates" from "The Jungle Book" absolutely would have gotten my vote over "Talk to the Animals." The Academy showered that movie with nominations, but "The Jungle Book" and its songs are certainly more beloved. "The Jungle Book" was even the bigger hit back in 1967, with "Doctor Dolittle" being a flop for 20th Century Fox.
Also, Alice in Wonderland lost Best Score to An American in Paris. I was surprised the Academy didn't award Best Song to Jungle Book, considering Disney died the previous year in 1966.

Also, why did the Academy give Randy Newman the Oscar for Best Song for Toy Story 3, but snubbed him for 2 songs the previous year for Princess & the Frog? The fact that they favored Pixar more really pissed me off :x
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyEra wrote:Encanto won the PGA Award :clap:
I'm glad it won. Its chances for the Oscar look even better now. We'll soon find out if it gets it or not. Here's the order in which the awards will be presented tonight. Best Animated Film is the 6th award of the night.
Actress in a supporting role

Makeup and hairstyling

Cinematography

Original score

Visual effects

Animated feature film

Animated short film

Actor in a supporting role

International feature film

Documentary short subject

Costume design

Original screenplay

Adapted screenplay

Live action short film

Sound

Documentary feature

Original song

Production design

Directing

Film editing

Actor in a leading role

Actress in a leading role

Best picture
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235118331/
Disney's Divinity

Pretty obvious it would win before they said it. First having its song performed before the category, then having another of Miranda's plants (Halle Bailey) announcing the category. :roll: I think Encanto with the first Latina animated princess has made more impact as far as diversity than Bailey will in a remake.

The singer did really well--and, whew, handsome. Schumer, Sykes, and even Regina Hall have all been hilarious tonight. I didn't know Zegler had been left out of noms for WSS--deserved, she was rather bland in the role. I almost felt like they put Encanto's performance at the beginning of the show with its Feature win because they'll lose Song, but who knows.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.