Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by Pokenonbinary »

The pic of the cgi dwarves is clearly temporal

My theory is: they made the movie with average size people like we saw in that set leak, those characters are magical beings from the forest that can transform into humans.

With all the misogynistic hate towards Rachel Zegler they said wow so two controversies in one movie, and changed the dwarves.

But since there's a strike they can't reshoot the movie, so that's why they will change half of the movie when the strike is over and release the movie then

And Elio is delayed because I'm sure they didn't recorded most of the movie voices, just for the teaser
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:34 pm I’m glad the dwarves are small! I think the whole cast that we saw before might have been just stand ins… maybe they were being used to help setup a shot or to test lighting on costumes. It’s a good reminder for me to take a step back when behind the scenes photos like those are presented without context.
Well, I'm glad the dwarfs are small too, whether they changed it or if it was always going to be that way.

Yes, several actors from the set photos were indeed stand-ins; that's something Disney themselves confirmed, but stand-ins normally resemble the real actors, like the stand-in for Snow White there. Disney wouldn't have had women or Black characters among the group to stand in for the dwarfs we saw in the official still. Plus, the clothes are very different. If not for the set photos, I would believe this is what Disney had planned the dwarfs to look all along, but after that, I'm not that sure.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:28 pm So do you think the film will have the bandits and dwarfs, or they scrapped the idea of bandits? And will we ever know the story of that photoshoot or set pictures with the diverse bandits? I'm so confused!! And will we get an actual prince now or still Jonathan the bandit? Such a 180°, this is making me curious.
The film having both a group of seven dwarfs and a group of seven bandits is not impossible, but seems like too many characters and too similar groups to me. Plus, if the ones in the set photos were Jonathan's men and not the seven dwarfs, why didn't Disney say it when the pictures leaked, instead of saying they were fake, only to later admit they were from their production, but some actors were stand-ins? That would've stopped the backlash.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I am confused as well. So Disney listened to the backlash to Peter Dinklage's misguided hissy fit? And did they CGI Dwarfs over the actors who were going to play the magical creature bandits or something? Because those dwarfs look like very, very bad CGI that doesn't look realistic or fit in with the rest of the image.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Anyone else nostalgic for the days when it looked like Mulan was going to be their messiest remake?
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

D82 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:55 pm
UmbrellaFish wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:34 pm I’m glad the dwarves are small! I think the whole cast that we saw before might have been just stand ins… maybe they were being used to help setup a shot or to test lighting on costumes. It’s a good reminder for me to take a step back when behind the scenes photos like those are presented without context.
Well, I'm glad the dwarfs are small too, whether they changed it or if it was always going to be that way.

Yes, several actors from the set photos were indeed stand-ins; that's something Disney themselves confirmed, but stand-ins normally resemble the real actors, like the stand-in for Snow White there. Disney wouldn't have had women or Black characters among the group to stand in for the dwarfs we saw in the official still. Plus, the clothes are very different. If not for the set photos, I would believe this is what Disney had planned the dwarfs to look all along, but after that, I'm not that sure.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:28 pm So do you think the film will have the bandits and dwarfs, or they scrapped the idea of bandits? And will we ever know the story of that photoshoot or set pictures with the diverse bandits? I'm so confused!! And will we get an actual prince now or still Jonathan the bandit? Such a 180°, this is making me curious.
The film having both a group of seven dwarfs and a group of seven bandits is not impossible, but seems like too many characters and too similar groups to me. Plus, if the ones in the set photos were Jonathan's men and not the seven dwarfs, why didn't Disney say it when the pictures leaked, instead of saying they were fake, only to later admit they were from their production, but some actors were stand-ins? That would've stopped the backlash.
The set photos are from July 14th, I doubt that what happened was a backlash with them whipping up fully rendered CGI characters of dwarfs within 3 months. I also do not think the characters we saw in the leaked set photos were stand in actors who would be replaced by CGI, if that were the case they would have been wearing markers etc. I think we'll have a situation where Snow White has her band of 7 magical creatures and the Jonathan character mirrors that group with a merry band of 7 bandits who eventually join forces or something.No matter how I look at the situation it feels convoluted and unnecessary and am still highly sceptical about this remake.

The only redeeming thing about that visual is the production design. The sets, lighting, etc look gorgeous and very true to the original animated film. Also that we are getting dwarfs in some capacity is a good sign, but they should really try to clear up at least some of the confusion and not let this situation fester and linger for more than 1,5 years!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Nadia Stacey, the film's hair and makeup designer, has posted this on her Instagram stories, so perhaps you're right, robster16.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/nadiastaceyhairmakeupdesign/
Last edited by D82 on Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

People thinking this was a last-minute change keep forgetting that Martin Klebba said like 2 years ago that he was playing Grumpy.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The other element is if they were changing the stature of the “dwarfs,” wouldn’t that necessitate refilming at least half the movie? The sightlines would be wrong, the framing would be wrong, the sets would be wrong. If Disney is getting cold feet about live remakes, why would they sink more money into an already lost cause?

To my mind, pushing Snow White and Elio back is just the consequence of the strike creating a gap in the release calendar.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I haven't seen it yet, but apparently in her last livestream, Grace Randolph said she's heard the dwarfs and the bandits are two separate groups in the movie.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/mmdisney200/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, then it looks like I was wrong. But the CGI of the Dwarfs still looks bad and unrealistic.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I might buy a ticket just to see how wonderful these "dwarfs" will look on a huge screen. Heck, bring in the IMAX version
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:54 pmThe dwarfs look like they come from a completely different movie (and a plane of existence). They appear to be almost stop-motion/claymation-like.
Disney certainly keeps the delivering the uncanny valley horror with these CG characters in their remakes. Something they could have easily avoided by casting little people instead. What a ridiculous decision on their part.
D82 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:41 pmAfter Disney racebended Ariel's sisters, racebended and genderbended some of the Lost Boys or made Asha's seven-dwarf-inspired friends quite diverse, it's strange to see the seven dwarfs all male and white here, which leads me to believe they did change them due to the backlash the leaked images generated.
I think so too.
D82 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:55 pmThe film having both a group of seven dwarfs and a group of seven bandits is not impossible, but seems like too many characters and too similar groups to me.
The male love interest didn't need his own group of "dwarfs". Talk about overkill. I feel the biggest mistake the remake did, and it did plenty, is turning the Prince character into Robin Hood and giving him his own band of Merry Men.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

But wasn't it also "confirmed" from people who saw the test screening earlier his summer that the bandits had in fact REPLACED the dwarfs? We're getting an awful lot of contradictory "inside sources" all saying different things about what's going on in with this movie.

Anyways, the CGI we're seeing in that one pic doesn't look fantastic, but I still think it was a better move than presenting people with an actual medical condition as a literal fantasy race or dropping the dwarves altogether.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

PatchofBlue wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:10 am But wasn't it also "confirmed" from people who saw the test screening earlier his summer that the bandits had in fact REPLACED the dwarfs? We're getting an awful lot of contradictory "inside sources" all saying different things about what's going on in with this movie.

Anyways, the CGI we're seeing in that one pic doesn't look fantastic, but I still think it was a better move than presenting people with an actual medical condition as a literal fantasy race or dropping the dwarves altogether.
Good thing Wish has had no contradiction with its inside sources consistently saying that movie is genuinely great/really good/solid.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

IDK, I like that there are two different groups, it gives this a bit of a different feel than other live-action versions. Of course, it would be better if the prince's group were, I don't know, knights, guards, or whatever rather than a RH imitation.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:32 amNadia Stacey, the film's hair and makeup designer, has posted this on her Instagram stories, so perhaps you're right, robster16.
It's interesting she didn't debunk the tabloid's report about the film's budget. She's probably not privy to such information, but I do wonder if the $330 million number they're reporting is accurate. Last time we heard, it was $209.3 million, but it could have ballooned since then. The delay may also add to it.
Insiders told DailyMail.com that bosses are doing everything in their power to make sure it doesn't bomb - after splashing $330 million on it.
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... versy.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

During a recent Ladies Night interview with Collider's Perri Nemiroff, Zegler talked about how her version of the character will be different from the animated one:

"Then something that kind of emerged was this leader within her that I was so happy that the writers wanted her to be, and the fact that it's born out of her upbringing, but she finds it within herself throughout the course of the film and throughout the people that love her in the film and show their love for her. Marc Webb and I kind of called it her third eye opening. There's a couple of scenes in there where she's speaking like someone who's been alive for much longer than she has, and that's something that I relate to, something that I've been told all my life. So, getting to bring that to a character that I love so deeply and that I've spent so much time with now, it's a really amazing thing as an actor and as a performer, and I can't wait for people to get to see it."
Source: https://collider.com/rachel-zegler-snow-white-leader/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Farerb wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:22 pm The picture:
Not to be rude, and I’m sure I’m not the first or last to say this, but why do I feel like I’m looking at an AI-generated image?
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

I don't get why far right youtubers want the movie to be 100% the same as the animated one when there are like 50 snow white live action movies already

The misogyny Rachel has suffered for just saying things male actors get ignored or applauded.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Pokenonbinary wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:49 amThe misogyny Rachel has suffered for just saying things male actors get ignored or applauded.
I don't recall male actors from Disney's remakes saying similar things. I could be wrong though. But other actresses like Emma Watson, Naomi Scott, and Halle Bailey have said similar things about modernizing the story and the female characters for the remakes without getting any backlash. That's why I don't believe misogyny can be blamed for this. I think Zegler is getting criticized not because of what she says, but the way she says it. She gives off an air of entitlement and brattiness when she talks in general which in conjunction with her seeming lack of appreciation for the original makes her an ideal target for people to express their frustrations regarding Disney and Hollywood at large.