The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:31 pm
PatchofBlue wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:45 pmThe issue appears to have resolved for me, at least it has been over the last few hours. Thanks for working on that. Hope the solution sticks.
Glad to hear that. Has the issue been resolved for others too? Please let me know everyone.
Yes Sotiris :up:
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yup, everything is fine. No more logging out randomly. :D
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, it seems it has been fixed. Thanks, Sotiris. I'm glad the issue has been solved so quickly. It's so great to be able to post normally again!

It's great you got to meet live-action Ariel at the parks, PatchofBlue!

By the way, Disney has updated its awards website. The Little Mermaid is being promoted for awards consideration in the following categories:
For Your Consideration

BEST PICTURE
Marc Platt
Lin-Manuel Miranda
John DeLuca
Rob Marshall

BEST DIRECTOR
Rob Marshall

BEST ACTRESS
Halle Bailey

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Melissa McCarthy
Awkwafina
Noma Dumezweni

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jonah Hauer-King
Javier Bardem
Daveed Diggs
Jacob Tremblay
Art Malik

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Screenplay by
David Magee

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dion Beebe, ACS, ASC

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Colleen Atwood

BEST FILM EDITING
Wyatt Smith, ACE

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
Peter Swords King, Makeup & Hair Designer Department Head
Camille Friend, Arielโ€™s Hair Designer

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Alan Menken

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
โ€œWild Uncharted Watersโ€
Lyrics by Howard Ashman & Lin-Manuel Miranda
Music by Alan Menken

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
John Myhre, Production Designer
Gordon Sim, Set Decorator

BEST SOUND
Simon Hayes, AMPS, CAS, Production Sound Mixer
Renรฉe Tondelli, Supervising Sound Editor
Eugene Gearty, Supervising Sound Editor
Mike Prestwood Smith, Re-Recording Mixer
Gilbert Lake, Re-Recording Mixer

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Tim Burke, Visual Effects Supervisor
Andy Kind, Visual Effects Supervisor
Patrick Ledda, Visual Effects Supervisor
Steve Warner, Special Effects Supervisor
Source: https://debut.disney.com/fyc/twds/movie ... categories
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad they put faith in some of their better live-actions like that.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I would be surprised if this film ended up having a presence at the Oscars next year. Pleasantly surprised, certainly, but surprised nonetheless. The Academy has never been super kind to the remakes, and I'd think if anything that bias would only intensify over time as these remakes just keep marching on. Still, Disney seems to have been plotting this out for a couple of years now, what with having Halle as a presenter for one of the awards last year and them dropping the trailer at the most recent ceremony.

I'm not a seer by any means, but I'd think that costuming and effects would be their safest bets. I thought the performances were all fun, but I'd be very surprised if The Academy recognized this film in any of the acting categories.

Mostly, I just want "Wild Uncharted Waters" to get at least nominated so the world remembers that Alan exists.
Last edited by PatchofBlue on Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

PatchofBlue wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:45 pmThe issue appears to have resolved for me, at least it has been over the last few hours. Thanks for working on that. Hope the solution sticks.
Glad to hear that. Has the issue been resolved for others too? Please let me know everyone.
Yes, so far it seems to be working again :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The sing-along version flopped at the domestic box office.
Jeff Bock wrote:As we saw last week, they tried to release a sing-along version and nobody went and saw it. It was in 1600 screens and it did just pitiful business.
Source: https://puck.news/podcast_episode/the-s ... ards-show/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:26 am The sing-along version flopped at the domestic box office.
Jeff Bock wrote:As we saw last week, they tried to release a sing-along version and nobody went and saw it. It was in 1600 screens and it did just pitiful business.
Source: https://puck.news/podcast_episode/the-s ... ards-show/
Oh oh, but im sure the movie will do really great in the streaming charts after its release on D+
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm late to the party, but yup, I haven't been having the login issues. Thanks for fixing it, Sotiris!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Back in 2021, a production grid was making the rounds, which means that Disney had a sequel in the cards. Keep in mind this was long before The Little Mermaid would hit theaters, over a year later. I had heard that Disney was keen on making a sequel. However, more recently, I spoke to someone close to those who make these kind of decisions and they say Disney is no rush to develop a sequel and hope fans enjoy the project when it hits Disney+ and through various forms of merchandise. The source also cited, if Disney plans on developing a sequel, do not expect it to take inspiration from the animated sequel.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2023/09/03/th ... ld-happen/
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:10 am
Back in 2021, a production grid was making the rounds, which means that Disney had a sequel in the cards. Keep in mind this was long before The Little Mermaid would hit theaters, over a year later. I had heard that Disney was keen on making a sequel. However, more recently, I spoke to someone close to those who make these kind of decisions and they say Disney is no rush to develop a sequel and hope fans enjoy the project when it hits Disney+ and through various forms of merchandise. The source also cited, if Disney plans on developing a sequel, do not expect it to take inspiration from the animated sequel.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2023/09/03/th ... ld-happen/
Darn it. This and Aladdin are the two remakes I'd actually want to see Disney franchise. I'd be happy to see this cast again and hear more songs from Alan and Lin.

Anyways, I'll give the movie its inaugural Disney+ sometime this weekend probably, but I did watch the deleted scene for "Impossible Child." It was ... perfectly fine. I was kind of hoping that its staging or performance would somehow compensate for Bardem's lacking vocals, but alas ...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I rewatched the remake last night on Disney+ as I wait for my 4K copy to ship from the DMC. It really is a charming movie. Even Scuttlebutt has grown on me! The scenes on land are the best, Halle and Jonah have such excellent chemistry. The more details I notice on Arielโ€™s blue dress, the prettier it becomes. And Melissa McCarthy really did an excellent job as Ursula, too.

I really wish theyโ€™d been more creative and more fantastical with their depiction of the underwater world. That to me is the major disappointment of the movie. I donโ€™t think that was really a directorial choice, I think itโ€™s some kind of mandate from corporate since all the other remakes have had the same problem. But the underwater world should have been more vibrant, more colorful. The animals should have been more anthropomorphized. King Tritonโ€™s castle should have been more the like the animated movie.

Well, people often say they donโ€™t understand why 1989 Ariel wanted to leave the ocean because it was so beautifulโ€ฆ you donโ€™t have that problem in 2023, I guess.

I think my three favorite remakes are Cinderella, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid. But they each have fundamental flaws that make it hard to really love them. For Cinderella, it was cutting out the music. For Aladdin, it was the casting of Jafar. And for The Little Mermaid, itโ€™s the depiction of the underwater world.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

For me, the only things I loved in the movie were Halle Bailey and Melissa McCarthy.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney has released the cut song "Impossible Child" in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aKcfGWJs_Y
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's true, they built such great scenes for Ariel and Eric to fall in love by. Especially the Eric's collection and constellation scenes. I actually found all of the underwater scenes done well. I thought it was all impressive and beautiful. How can anyone say "Under the Sea" was not colorful? But yes, we needed an actual, beautiful, shining palace for Triton, and a better Eric's castle and Ursula's lair and Ursula's cauldron. Add to that that better magic scenes, speaking Flotsam and Jetsam, and "Fathoms Below" and "Daughters of Triton" restored to their rightful places, I think I would have really loved this movie, instead of feeling "meh" about it. I still think the "Part of Your World (Reprise 2)" was a fantastic addition.

For me I would have liked Aladdin more had "Speechless" been handled better (instead of Jasmine being captured by Jafar shortly after the song), a better-cast Jafar as has been said, and snake!Jafar, damnit! Oh, and the costumes all needed to be better.

Cinderella is perfect to me except Lady Tremaine should have asked Cinderella to give her consent for one of her stepsisters to marry the Prince, and that is what she says "no" to. I thought it was dumb she didn't lie about saying she would put Lady Tremaine in charge if she let her marry the Prince. I don't love the 1950 film's music enough to mind the cutting of it, so that's why the film is still pretty perfect to me. The other things I would want are small, like a slightly more interesting protagonist (perhaps even just in her acting), the Fairy Godmother using her wings to fly a little at a few points, and her saying "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" for every spell.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Duster, Iโ€™m surprised you donโ€™t adore the score to your favorite animated film! I never knew that about you.... I love it and listen to my CD in the car often. I love the songs but I also really enjoyed the instrumental scoring such as the So This Is Love waltz, Cinderella heads to the ball and the whole finale section starting with the Dukeโ€™s arrival at the Tremaine chรขteau with the glass slipper...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

โ€˜The Little Mermaidโ€™ breaks records on Disney+ as one of the most viewed Disney movie premieres ever, garnering 16 million views in its first five days streaming
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/little ... s-numbers/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha carolinakid, well, I love the score of Cinderella, but not as much as Snow White's, Bambi's, or the best of the Menken films'. The score is good, just not so good I needed it in the live-action version, which has its own great score I am very grateful for. I should listen to the whole animated version's score on my Legacy Collection CDs, but maybe after I am done with some of my more pressing personal projects, or when I retire, haha.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Since the remake's a hit on Disney+, maybe Disney can produce a cheaper sequel for the platform. Since Ariel's a human now, there won't be a need for many underwater scenes in a potential continuation.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

It'd be hard for me to imagine them greenlighting a sequel that didn't feature Ariel as a mermaid for a substantial slice of the film. In the same way that they gave Rapunzel back her long blonde hair for the tv show.

I'd actually really want to see a sequel in which Eric got to spend a part of the film as a merman. Ariel got to explore his world, it's only fair he'd get to see hers.