DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 am 
Platinum Edition

Ariel is supposed to have the most beautiful voice in the sea. I think they'll get an actual good singer. But the rest don't need to. But I do hang on to the hope they will get good singers as well as actors.

In Into the Woods, Anna Kendrick (Cinderella) is a great singer, that's why she was picked for Pitch Perfect and it's sequels. Daniel Huttlestone (Jack) could sing and was Gavroche in Les Miserables (the movie). Christine Baranski (Cinderella's Stepmother) is known for some Broadway. Lilla Crawford (Little Red Ridinghood) was Annie in Annie's last Broadway incarnation. Joanna Riding (Cinderella's Mother) can deeefinitely sing. And Mackenzie Mauzy (Rapunzel) is a great singer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 am 
Platinum Edition

This was...painful. I hope Harvey Fierstein isn't cast as Ursula in the remake.

https://twitter.com/HarveyFierstein/sta ... 7905200128

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 am 
Platinum Edition

His singing was awful. But I LOVED his acting and passion. If they dubbed him it might work. Auto-tune wouldn't fix it and no one likes when they use that. I will always think a female should play the movie role anyway, because I just think that adds to the believability and seriousness, but his acting was fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

While Ursula was infamously inspired by Divine, I don't think Disney will pull a Hairspray and hire a man to play the role in the live-action Little Mermaid (in the Broadway musical, Sherie Rene Scott originated as Ursula).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:46 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Harvey Fierstein would not be my first choice for Ursula, but his performance was at least fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

estefan wrote:
While Ursula was infamously inspired by Divine, I don't think Disney will pull a Hairspray and hire a man to play the role in the live-action Little Mermaid (in the Broadway musical, Sherie Rene Scott originated as Ursula).

Well, personally, I hope they stay as far away from the musical as possible. No wonder they'd never have cast a man in that show considering they neutered Ursula entirely. She wasn’t even allowed to be fat or have purple as her primary color. Or be old, or have a deep voice, or move around, or be funny/intimidating. Hopefully movie Ursula is more like the original.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 am 
Platinum Edition

Sherie Rene Scott was pretty great as Ursula. Yeah, she wasn't like the original and not as good as the original but I liked her interpretation. She was hilarious, if not intimidating. But there was harldy any drama conjured up in that Broadway show. I saw the original Broadway show in person with the original cast. At least one thing will please certain people here. Sierra Boggess was very much like the original Ariel and she was wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

I don't agree with any of those things about Sherie Rene Scott. She is talented (in other roles), no disrespect. But she was a godawful Ursula. Real shock the show flopped, really. Without a good villain, you've cut out half of what makes Disney's The Little Mermaid as good as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:45 am 
Platinum Edition

0k, so we disagree on some things. But like I said, I don't think just the villanous aspect was missing, I also don't think any of the drama or magic of the original classic was really made on stage. The best thing about it probably was Sierra Boggess's Ariel. The whole artistic concept of the show was awful. It should have had them in full tails on wires when merpeople. I wish the show had been closer to the film and also like that version of the show they considered with "Wasting Away" and the added incantation for Ursula becoming Vanessa, and actually that Vanessa plot being in at all, and "All Good Things Must End".

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:06 am 
Platinum Edition

The newest trailer for the non-Disney, live-action The Little Mermaid which will be released theatrically on August 17, 2018 is out. It includes an animated sequence that's somewhat reminiscent of Part of Your World.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LfNLtVQqE

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:11 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

One word; Plagiarism Deja Vu (*cough, Kimba, cough*)! :P

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm 

It doesn't remind me about Part of Your World at all. I'm quite excited about this movie, since The Little Mermaid is my favourite childhood fairytale and this looks like a fun new interpretation of it. I'm especially interested in the villain, he looks cool. I don't know why people won't give it a chance. When you read the comments on youtube, it's like, how dare someone other than Disney try to adapt the classic tale :roll:. Some even claim they try to copy Disney due to it being called The Little Mermaid. Yeah, because it was Disney who invented the story and the title :roll:.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
The newest trailer for the non-Disney, live-action The Little Mermaid which will be released theatrically on August 17, 2018 is out. It includes an animated sequence that's somewhat reminiscent of Part of Your World.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LfNLtVQqE

I'm confused, that shot wasnt in there at all?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 am 
Platinum Edition

That shot was in the very beginning of the trailer.

This movie looks very B movie. Just about every shot and line is somehow low grade.

And this isn't what I'd call The Little Mermaid, but some odd twisted take on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

That one shot did remind of the Disney film. I do plan to see this TLM just because (I still need to see that 2017 TLM film--the "Tides to the Moon" song in the trailer looks like the only good thing about that film though), but it doesn't look that good... A shame since I wanted it to be better because Mosley and MacLaine were involved. My first--completely random--thought watching the trailer was that they're aware Disney would look for a reason to sue if their film was too close to the Disney version and so they thought they'd be clever and make Dr. Facilier the villain instead. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8