Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.

Which version of Cinderella do you think is best?

Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)
41%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
5%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
5%
The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5%
Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
No votes
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
14%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997)
5%
Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
27%
ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by Sotiris »

There's a new CG-animated Cinderella movie coming out called Cinderella and the Secret Prince.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That trailer was painful. :headshake:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Egads. At least the glowing golden coach and white dress were pretty. Cinderella has a very bland personality here but that's usually what happens to her in trying to keep her "nice". I guess her saving the prince and being the hero is the new feminist twist. The jokes, animation, and synopsis otherwise suck.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ms Mojo did their own ranking!

Top 10 Greatest Cinderella Movies

How the hell did the "Cinderella Story"'s get above the Brandy one?!! A lot of people are mad it got on the bottom. A lot of people also really seem to like "A Cinderella Story"... :shifty:

I have never seen "A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song", but I would say that it's plot sounds similar to the Cinderella opera written by that 8-year old Alma Deutscher...but I bet her opera is a billion times better. I wonder if I should buy the recorded version of that opera...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Duster, I finally got some free time, so as promised, here's an updated ranking :)

1. Cinderella (1950)
2. Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
3. Cinderella (2015)
4. Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997)
5. The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
6. Ella Enchanted (2004)
7. Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child - Cinderella (1995)
8. A Cinderella Story (2004)
9. If the Shoe Fits (1990)

There's still a few I need to see, the 1965 version and Happily N'Ever After in particular.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you, thank you, thank you Mooky! Great list! I agree with a lot of it! I like seeing your choices.

I will do a re-evaluation myself soon.

I have never seen Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child. I must check it out!

I greatly encourage you to see the 1965 version. I have come to think it is the best live-action Cinderella there is, or at least, it is the one I most like to watch. Happily N'Ever After is...ok I guess, barely remember how it goes...

Once again, I am so happy you did this for me!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thank you and you're more than welcome :) It's been a long time coming so I'm happy I finally had it done.

The whole Happily Ever After show is on YouTube, so check it out when you find time. This is part 1 of Cinderella, the other two parts should be in the recommended section.

And I will seek out the 1965 version. I'm much more interested in it than Happily N'Ever After, tbh.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I also hope you really enjoyed watching the films. I very much hope you enjoy the 1965 one. Thanks for the link, I will check that out soon.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok I watched Happily Ever After's. It was pretty bad to me. I get that they were doing a fairy tale in a different culture than usual because it's fairy tales for every child. But I don't like when they don't use the original culture the tale came from. Sometimes I am ok with it. I guess I just didn't like it here. The iguanas singing a song was bizarre. If anyone should have a song it should be Cinderella over animals or her fairy godmother. I liked Cinderella to a degree. But basically I didn't like it. I think most of the little toon versions of Cinderella are pretty bad, though, that I have seen. I mean I like the Rankin/Bass one but I also have some nostalgia for it. From what I can remember there is a Yeh Xian one from my childhood that may be good, I have to watch it again. But probably the best short toon version of Cinderella is this Russian one. It's gorgeous. It's superlative: Russian Cinderella cartoon
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I may be biased because that whole HBO show appealed to me precisely because of how they re-imagined classic fairytales and adapted them for different cultures. The animation wasn't anything special but the whole thing had so much charm. And I found that iguana song weirdly funny. :) But I understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

That Russian Cinderella short is really cute. Great animation as well. Thanks for the link!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I appreciate that the show did fairy tales for multiple cultures, that is a nice idea. I am very glad you liked the Russian Cinderella short!

I know you said you'd check out the 1965 one and Happily N'Ever After, but the Faerie Tale Theatre one is also a must watch in my opinion!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Watched Ever After again last night. I really enjoy this film, probably my second favorite Cinderella film after Disney's.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

farerb wrote:Watched Ever After again last night. I really enjoy this film, probably my second favorite Cinderella film after Disney's.
I love EA, too. I'd probably put Ever After a smidge in front of the 1950 film. Then The Slipper and the Rose at third and R&H's Cinderella (1997) fourth. I've seen the others, but I'm not going to do a full ranking.
Mooky wrote: 8. A Cinderella Story (2004)
I've always loved Jennifer Coolidge's white trash stepmother. :lol: She, Bernadette Peters, Anjelica Huston, and Eleanor Audley are my favorite stepmothers. My favorite of the fairy godmothers are HBC in the 2015 film and Jean Stapleton in the Fairie Tale Theatre version.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for coming in here farerb. Ever After is probably the most entertaining Cinderella, I must admit.

Disney's Divinity, I know you block me, but thank you for being very kind and sharing in my thread.

My favorite stepmothers are Eleanor Audley (when looking her up, she had a very beautiful 1920's headshot! She was lovely!), then Margaret Lockwood, then Jo Van Fleet, the Anjelica Huston, then Bernadette Peters. My favorite Fairy Godmothers are Verna Feltion, then Jean Stapleton (who weirdly was the stepmother in a New York City Opera production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella! I didn't like her take on the role there!), then Annette Crosbie, then Celeste Holm (those two are kind of fighting for either third or fourth place), and then Helena Bonham Carter.

My favorite Cinderellas are easily Ilene Woods first, then Lesley Ann Warren, and then...hmmm...either Gemma Craven or Jennifer Beals! Lily James would probably be next, she used to be a top favorite of mine, but actually I am rather underwhelmed by her acting now. I mean, I still like her, she just isn't as great to me as she used to be on repeat viewings of 2015's Cinderella.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't think I've ever seen this thread before which is surprising. I guess it comes from not straying from the Disney section much. Anyway I feel like a bad fan since I haven't seen most of the Cinderella adaptations in the poll. I'm only familiar with the 1950 classic, the live-action 2015 film, the Brandy TV musical, A Cinderella Story (with Hilary Duff), Another Cinderella Story (with Selena Gomez), Into the Woods, and Ella Enchanted (if those last two even count). Even Ever After, I've never seen in its entirety but I have seen most of it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It would only make you a more casual fan of the Cinderella tale, not a bad one! I don't count the "Cinderella Story"s in my rankings, even though they are fair game for anyone who wants to rank them. If I did rank them, they wouldn't be that high in my list anyway. I count Ella Enchanted. It was based on what is supposed to be just an expanded version of the original story. I read the book so long ago I don't remember much. My favorite part was when Ella used truth flowers to get information out of her one stepsister. I guess I forgot to rank the movie. I'll try to rank it when I re-rank. I would finish seeing Ever After it's one of the very best.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
farerb wrote:Watched Ever After again last night. I really enjoy this film, probably my second favorite Cinderella film after Disney's.
I love EA, too. I'd probably put Ever After a smidge in front of the 1950 film. Then The Slipper and the Rose at third and R&H's Cinderella (1997) fourth. I've seen the others, but I'm not going to do a full ranking.
Mooky wrote: 8. A Cinderella Story (2004)
I've always loved Jennifer Coolidge's white trash stepmother. :lol: She, Bernadette Peters, Anjelica Huston, and Eleanor Audley are my favorite stepmothers. My favorite of the fairy godmothers are HBC in the 2015 film and Jean Stapleton in the Fairie Tale Theatre version.
I remeber watching A Cinderella Story back then, but I haven't watched it in a long time. There was a trend back then doing teen films that represent a modern fairytale version. There was one film with Amanda Bynes where she played a modern version of Snow White going to college.

I also like Jennifer Coolidge. I especially liked her in Legally Blonde and I hope she returns to the third one coming out next year.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:It would only make you a more casual fan of the Cinderella tale, not a bad one! I don't count the "Cinderella Story"s in my rankings, even though they are fair game for anyone who wants to rank them. If I did rank them, they wouldn't be that high in my list anyway. I count Ella Enchanted. It was based on what is supposed to be just an expanded version of the original story. I read the book so long ago I don't remember much. My favorite part was when Ella used truth flowers to get information out of her one stepsister. I guess I forgot to rank the movie. I'll try to rank it when I re-rank. I would finish seeing Ever After it's one of the very best.
I forgot that I've seen the Russian animated one we've talked about as well.

The Ella Enchanted book is definitely a Cinderella adaptation but the film is so different that I can see why most people wouldn't see many Cinderella parallels beyond the stepmother and stepsisters. Did you ever read the Ella Enchanted prequel book that came out recently, Ogre Enchanted? It sets up the backstories for a lot of characters in the book which is nice. I don't remember the scene where she uses truth flowers in the book but i do remember the movie had Ella give poison ivy to her stepfamily for their portrait lol.

They usually show Ever After on TV so I'll try to catch it when it's on next.
farerb wrote: I remeber watching A Cinderella Story back then, but I haven't watched it in a long time. There was a trend back then doing teen films that represent a modern fairytale version. There was one film with Amanda Bynes where she played a modern version of Snow White going to college.

I also like Jennifer Coolidge. I especially liked her in Legally Blonde and I hope she returns to the third one coming out next year.
Sydney White is the Amanda Bynes film. I watched it and it's a decent film but I would never watch it again. I liked how they adapted the poison apple though (a virus for Sydney's Apple laptop that erases her paper that is due so she is forced to stay up all night to finish it and can't wake up in the morning).

Vanessa Hudgens did Beastly, a Beauty and the Beast adaption as well although I never saw it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh yes, I love that Russian cartoon.

I have never read Ogre Enchanted! I will have to check that out, but I get through books so slow, it will be far in the future lol. It's true that Ella Enchanted's movie is rather different from Cinderella actually. The poison ivy is definitely different from the truth flowers.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The trailer for the fifth installment in the "A Cinderella Story" film series titled "A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish" is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0WNgGtRwy8
ImageImageImageImageImageImage