Zootopia 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Zootopia 2

Post by JeanGreyForever »

RyGuy wrote: I’d be really surprised if they did. Pleasantly surprised, mind you, but surprised. Much like the buddy road trip cliche, or the surprise villain cliche, as of late it seems Disney is on the “you don’t need to be in a relationship to be complete” cliche. I don’t mind that message as I think it’s healthy, but how many films will they go through before they feel like it’s ok to do a romance again? At this point we have Merida, Ralph, Elsa, Moana, Elena (if you count her), and now apparently Raya as well.

Nick and Judy at this point probably qualify as well. It’d be interesting to see whether fans would embrace a relationship as some sort of natural progression or whether there would be an outcry that Disney was selling out or insinuating that Judy or Nick weren’t complete before as single characters.
Same, considering that Disney has disavowed romance in all their new films. Raya is the strongest indicator since it doesn't seem like Lasseter would have had much, if any, influence on the film, yet it still sticks to his tropes. It also sounds like Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman really enjoyed the platonic dynamic between their characters.

I think it's important for Disney to showcase that male and female characters can be best buddies and even partners while not being romantically involved. Past male/female relationships like Ralph/Vanellope and Maui/Moana don't really count because of the age difference so Nick/Judy becomes the main exception, even in the Revival era.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I hope that in the future there will be room for both - some movies have romance, some don’t, and it’s all cool. For me, the romance aspect of many older Disney movies is as iconic as the songs. Just as it would suck if Disney stopped doing musicals altogether, I think I would miss it if they completely stopped telling sincere love stories.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I think it's important for Disney to showcase that male and female characters can be best buddies and even partners while not being romantically involved. Past male/female relationships like Ralph/Vanellope and Maui/Moana don't really count because of the age difference so Nick/Judy becomes the main exception, even in the Revival era.
I agree, I prefer they remained just friends. Maybe they can have an interracial couple in the movie that is not them.
RyGuy wrote:I hope that in the future there will be room for both - some movies have romance, some don’t, and it’s all cool.
I hope that too. I think it's refreshing that Disney is now making movies that have no romance and it's true that it sends a good message. But there's nothing wrong with romance either, so they shouldn't be afraid to make movies with romantic stories. I think it should be balanced though, in the 90' there were too many films with romantic elements in my opinion. I like it when there's a bit of variety.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:Maybe they can have an interracial couple in the movie that is not them.
If they’re not brave enough to do it with the main characters, then I’d personally rather they not bother with it at all.

Disney is definitely playing a game of trying not to be pinned down as any one thing in their new era; they haven't touched another fairy tale romance since Frozen in 2013. I wonder if it's because they're conscious of how the repetitious storylines of the '90s were criticized and they don't want that to fall on them again. Which is pretty ironic when you think about it, because the critics seem to be taking their sweet time getting around to lambasting WDAS and PIXAR for peddling the same ol' same ol' buddy roadtrip, smart alec paired with a straight man, third act race, and twist villain formula for 20+ years now. I'd rather have had 20 years of fairy tale musicals than that garbage, if I were able to pick my poison. Just sayin'.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Same, considering that Disney has disavowed romance in all their new films. Raya is the strongest indicator since it doesn't seem like Lasseter would have had much, if any, influence on the film, yet it still sticks to his tropes.
Raya had been in the works since at least 2015. Lasseter was the one who greenlit it and saw it through much of its development. The most significant change that seems to have occurred post his ouster is switching Raya's companion from male to female. Lasseter's influence will be felt on WDAS' output for years to come. I'm questioning whether they'll ever be able to escape the buddy/road trip formula.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder if it's because they're conscious of how the repetitious storylines of the '90s were criticized and they don't want that to fall on them again. Which is pretty ironic when you think about it, because the critics seem to be taking their sweet time getting around to lambasting WDAS and PIXAR for peddling the same ol' same ol' buddy roadtrip, smart alec paired with a straight man, third act race, and twist villain formula for 20+ years now. I'd rather have had 20 years of fairy tale musicals than that garbage, if I were able to pick my poison.
I feel the same way. The only thing that has been criticized a bit is the twist villain trope which is resulting into having no villain at all. Apparently, having no villain is considered nuanced and sophisticated storytelling nowadays.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's ironic cause I personally feel the Revival films lack nuance, especially Zootopia. While films like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame has much more nuance even with their villains who even add more nuance.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:Raya had been in the works since at least 2015. Lasseter was the one who greenlit it and saw it through much of its development. The most significant change that seems to have occurred post his ouster is switching Raya's companion from male to female. Lasseter's influence will be felt on WDAS' output for years to come. I'm questioning whether they'll ever be able to escape the buddy/road trip formula.
Oh wow, Raya has been in production for four years at this point, five by the time of release. I shouldn't be surprised that the dragon was male while Lasseter was around but even so, it seems as though this film will heavily follow his formula then.
farerb wrote:It's ironic cause I personally feel the Revival films lack nuance, especially Zootopia. While films like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame has much more nuance even with their villains who even add more nuance.
Although I liked Zootopia, I agree with you that the Revival films are lacking when it comes to the rest of Disney's library, especially the 90s.
ImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Ginnifer Goodwin just pretty much confirmed Zootopia 2 is happening (3:30)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXrWjwmzag
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

farerb wrote:It's ironic cause I personally feel the Revival films lack nuance, especially Zootopia. While films like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame has much more nuance even with their villains who even add more nuance.
Yeah, could be my nostalgia goggles, but it's the same hing. The new movies have interesting new messages and ideas, but carry them with cookie cutter characters we've seen a million times before and are always spelled out. I dunno, the films I feel are even more childish than they ever were. That ugly 3D animation style they use certainly doesn't help.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

disneyprincess11 wrote:Ginnifer Goodwin just pretty much confirmed Zootopia 2 is happening (3:30)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXrWjwmzag
Finally!
thedisneyspirit wrote: Yeah, could be my nostalgia goggles, but it's the same hing. The new movies have interesting new messages and ideas, but carry them with cookie cutter characters we've seen a million times before and are always spelled out. I dunno, the films I feel are even more childish than they ever were. That ugly 3D animation style they use certainly doesn't help.
I agree especially when it comes to the CGI animation.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's official.
Jared Bush wrote:Fellow mammals… we’ve been working on something just fur you. Welcome back. #Zootopia2 #Zoo2pia
Source: https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... 4660478978
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Are you ready to have more poorly aged humor in Zootopia 2 like this?

It's interesting to me how much Frozen III and Toy Story 5 got most of the attention, but no one barely talks about Zootopia 2, most of the comments I saw were "yeah cool" and that's it. I think Zootopia did as well as it did because it came out at the right time (pre 2016 US elections), but I don't think it had any longevity afterwards, its fandom seems so small compared to Pixar/Toy Story or Frozen/Disney Princesses, it'll be interesting to see if the sequel manages to be as successful, I guess it depends on the political climate at the time of its release.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There are some franchises that do well in theaters, but don't generate much buzz or fandom activity. Avatar, Fast & Furious, and Mission Impossible are examples of that and I think it applies to Zootopia too.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Oh, I'm sure there's a community for Zootopia, but not in a part of the internet I'd want to explore. :P

Although I still like the original film very much, even if the morals are misguided, and am open to a sequel.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I agree with Sotiris on this one. I think it's a movie everyone like overall, but I don't think people LOVE it like Frozen. I'm excited for a sequel, but I'm hopeful there's actually a good story to go with it. I would love another mystery, and to go more of the direction of Sherlock Holmes. I know The Great Mouse Detective exists, but I mean something with similar feeling.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Um...that's kinda scary :lol:

Not because of the good audience reaction, I'm happy for that, really telling that they're giving their best effort to make it great. It's just that I want the sequels to release after the announced dates for the untitled movies from Disney Animation which I hope are originals, not the sequels releasing in one of those dates.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I don't suppose she actually means an internal test screening specially for employees? Like, the kinds with storyboards and scratch dialogue?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Zootopia 2: Disney Exec Promises Sequel Will Be 'As Good Or Better' Than First Movie
https://thedirect.com/article/zootopia- ... sney-movie
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:44 pm Zootopia 2: Disney Exec Promises Sequel Will Be 'As Good Or Better' Than First Movie
https://thedirect.com/article/zootopia- ... sney-movie
To bring out a classic quote: "I don't know it, until I see it". I'm hoping it's good, but it's a classic case of wait and see with this one.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan