Bambi (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bambi (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

sunhuntin wrote:with bambi, the scenes following the death, with his father, drive the point home. the silence, the quiet voice, the snow falling and all but obscuring the picture.
with lion king, the immediate scene is scar telling the hyenas to kill him, followed by humorous falls into the thorns. a few minutes later, we are singing hakuna matata, and all is right with the world.
Well, just a minute after the Great Prince tells Bambi his mother can't be with him anymore and he starts crying, "Let's Sing a Gay Little Spring Song" starts playing...

I don't think it's a competition. Both are traumatic. I personally think Mufasa's death is worse because the character feels more real where Bambi's mother is incredibly vague and without personality. Both deaths are the most remembered thing about both films. (Not Disney, but I also thought the death of Little Foot's mother in The Land Before Time was worse than Bambi's mother, partly because of her talking to Little Foot in the dark before she dies and how Little Foot sees her in shadows / clouds throughout the film.)
estefan wrote:I've long felt the film was saying that "Hakuna Matata" was a flawed system and that Timon and Pumbaa's philosophy of forgetting your past isn't effective in removing trauma
Yeah, it's pretty similar to "Let It Go" being the most popular song from Frozen. It's sort of the antithesis of the overall message. That's the mentality those characters turn to to begin with before realizing they can't simply run away or close the door.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't think it's a competition. Both are traumatic. I personally think Mufasa's death is worse because the character feels more real where Bambi's mother is incredibly vague and without personality. Both deaths are the most remembered thing about both films. (Not Disney, but I also thought the death of Little Foot's mother in The Land Before Time was worse than Bambi's mother, partly because of her talking to Little Foot in the dark before she dies and how Little Foot sees her in shadows / clouds throughout the film.)
My thoughts exactly. It shouldn`t be a competition. However, I disagree about Bambi`s mother. She may not have a personality, but she`s still a decent and likable character to make the audience sympathize with her. I agree that Mufasa`s personality and characterization is more expanded (and given more dimension, since he can be a playful dad, as well as regal and dignified), but at least Bambi`s mom gets more screentime overall.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with sunhuntin. Bambi's death is treated more maturely and shockingly than The Lion King's death. It's just more traumatizing the way they do it. And it's not dated! Of all the things to say...!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:I agree with sunhuntin. Bambi's death is treated more maturely and shockingly than The Lion King's death. It's just more traumatizing the way they do it. And it's not dated! Of all the things to say...!
Well, I`m sorry that I called it dated. It wasn`t my intention. But can I ask why you find it more maturely and shockingly in Bambi?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for apologizing for calling it dated, though if you wanted to, you still could, it's your opinion. I find Bambi's mother's death more mature and shocking because we don't expect it. We mostly see Bambi having cute fun and man is not as much of a villain like Scar. Man is not particularly planning her death and singing a song about it. Bambi's mother is also his everything. Bambi depends on her more than Simba seems to depend on his dad. Then, Bambi's mother's death is treated with such terror! The score, the visuals, the atmosphere, her and Bambi running to get away. It's very scary. Finally, Bambi calling out to his mother in the snow is very, very sad. Yes, so is Simba trying to wake his dad, but Bambi surrounded by loneliness and darkness and sad choral voices and falling snow and his voice echoing, finally ending with his father saying, "Your mother can't be with you anymore." It just all screams more mature and shocking to me.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks for apologizing for calling it dated, though if you wanted to, you still could, it's your opinion.
Don`t worry, I usually hate to flamebait or stir up an argument ;)
I find Bambi's mother's death more mature and shocking because we don't expect it. We mostly see Bambi having cute fun and man is not as much of a villain like Scar. Man is not particularly planning her death and singing a song about it. Bambi's mother is also his everything. Bambi depends on her more than Simba seems to depend on his dad. Then, Bambi's mother's death is treated with such terror! The score, the visuals, the atmosphere, her and Bambi running to get away. It's very scary. Finally, Bambi calling out to his mother in the snow is very, very sad. Yes, so is Simba trying to wake his dad, but Bambi surrounded by loneliness and darkness and sad choral voices and falling snow and his voice echoing, finally ending with his father saying, "Your mother can't be with you anymore." It just all screams more mature and shocking to me.
Fair enough. Back in 1942, the audience were apparently genuinely baffled over the demise. Yet that incident has been so iconic that people immediatly associate Bambi for it. So it`s not unexpected anymore. As for the Mufasa/Simba dynamic, while Simba isn`t as dependent on his father, at least there is a genuine camaraderie between them. So you`ll feel for Simba`s loss as well.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What do you mean 1942 audiences were baffled by Bambi's mother's death? And it doesn't matter if it's unexpected after you've seen the movie already, the point is within the film story there's not much setup to Bambi's mom dying. You are right about Simba and Mufasa, though.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:What do you mean 1942 audiences were baffled by Bambi's mother's death? And it doesn't matter if it's unexpected after you've seen the movie already, the point is within the film story there's not much setup to Bambi's mom dying. You are right about Simba and Mufasa, though.
Here you can read what I meant: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034492/tr ... =tt_ql_trv. And while I can see why people would find the demise unexpected, I think the movie sets it up that it will happen. But that`s just me.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I read all that trivia and could not find anything about audience confusion of Bambi's mother's death! You really should find what you are talking about and quote it here for me, please. And yes, let's agree to disagree on whether Bambi's mother's death is expected or not.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, here it is.
Walt Disney and his staff attended a preview of the film in a Pomona theater on February 28, 1942, only a few months before the film was released. During the screening, the audience remained quiet; Walt didn't know whether they were spellbound or bored. The audience was shocked by the scene of Bambi's mother being shot to death, but when Bambi started looking around for her and calling out to her, asking where she is, a teenager in the audience answered, "Here I am, Bambi!", causing everyone else in the audience - except Walt's staff - to howl with laughter. Walt and his staff left the theater in disappointment, but Walt refused to cut the scene from the movie, insisting that the movie was right as it was. Bambi's mother's death is considered to be one of the most tragic, heartbreaking moments ever, not only in Disney movies, but in movies in general.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for doing that DisneyFan09! It's a very interesting tidbit of information!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

You`re welcome.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, here it is.
Walt Disney and his staff attended a preview of the film in a Pomona theater on February 28, 1942, only a few months before the film was released. During the screening, the audience remained quiet; Walt didn't know whether they were spellbound or bored. The audience was shocked by the scene of Bambi's mother being shot to death, but when Bambi started looking around for her and calling out to her, asking where she is, a teenager in the audience answered, "Here I am, Bambi!", causing everyone else in the audience - except Walt's staff - to howl with laughter. Walt and his staff left the theater in disappointment, but Walt refused to cut the scene from the movie, insisting that the movie was right as it was. Bambi's mother's death is considered to be one of the most tragic, heartbreaking moments ever, not only in Disney movies, but in movies in general.
omg WHAT a rude audience. People like that have no business being allowed into a movie theater and I would have them banned permanently. I'm glad Walt was not too discouraged from rotten eggs like that who almost deprived us of a classic.

Thank you for sharing such an important part of film history!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:omg WHAT a rude audience. People like that have no business being allowed into a movie theater and I would have them banned permanently. I'm glad Walt was not too discouraged from rotten eggs like that who almost deprived us of a classic.

Oh yes, what a rude audience, indeed! I was baffled when I learned about it. But hey, the kid who screamed "here I am, Bambi" was a teenager, after all.
Thank you for sharing such an important part of film history!
You`re welcome.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

[Lindsey Beer] also recently turned a draft for a remake of Bambi for Disney, Hello Kitty for New Line and Beau Flynn for which she also serves as an executive producer.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/05/pet-semata ... 235020009/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

It’s kind of funny that they’re moving more forward with live action Bambi here as we kind of got a bit of a Bambi taste recently with #FantasticBeastsTheSecretsOfDumbledore [Which BTW is about to come out on HBO Max/crave/wherever you get HBO max content in your country on May 30, which is also going to be on demand around that time and on Blu-ray/DVD on June 28 on digital around these times as well :-) The qilin Remind me So much of Bambi not only in concept and aesthetics with how they were used in the movie, but even their designs look very much like Bambi even down to the colouring and lighting which of the following similar model here they can have Bambi and the rest of the deer characters Let alone the rest of the characters in general Look quite fantastic indeed :-)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sarah Polley In Talks To Direct Live-Action ‘Bambi’ For Disney
https://deadline.com/2023/06/bambi-live ... 235415991/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm glad it's going to be a musical--Musgraves is a great songwriter and the director sounds like a strong one (haven't had the pleasure to see Women Talking yet)--but I hope they'll retain a few of the songs from the original, more like Pinocchio which had a few new with a few old than PP&W which cut everything. I've always adored "Love Is a Song," in particular.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Glad they're billing it as a musical, though that could mean any number of things.

I'm assuming this will be a Disney+ exclusive?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:56 pmbut I hope they'll retain a few of the songs from the original, more like Pinocchio which had a few new with a few old than PP&W which cut everything. I've always adored "Love Is a Song," in particular.
Me too. But I hope they`ll keep Little April Shower, which is my favorite song from the movie. And probably one of my favorite songs from Disney ever.