Anniversary Edition

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Anybody else excited for this?
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by SillySymphony »

Saw it in 3D* on Saturday, July 12th. DawnofthePlanetoftheApes is currently my favorite movie of year, beating out other long titled sequels--CaptainAmerica(2): TheWinterSoldier and HowToTrainYourDragon 2. The movie was intense, heart pounding and emotionally draining.

The apes were all-around brilliant--the time and care put into making them feel real is to be commended. There were strong character-driven dynamics between Ceasar, Koba and Blue Eyes--I was rooting for each one in turn. The human players did well their roles, especially when they interacted with their ape costars. Scenes featuring Maurice were highlights for me. He grounded the movie with his fluid movements and calm wisdom.

I adored the score by Michael Giacchino (Pixar & Disney projects, Star Trek reboots, Jurassic World!); it's another iconic soundtrack and brought back memories of certain beats from the original film's eerie yet fun jungle themes.

Based on first viewing impressions I give it 5/5 stars. (That's the highest rating of the year so far for me out of all the movies I've had the opportunity to see.)

*Notes on 3D: I liked it personally because added more depth to the picture in rainy atmosphere and enhanced the drama in a certain tank scene. The film as a whole doesn't suffer without it. If you collect the glasses there were special Apes ones at my showing--standard black ones with the movie title on the side frame.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Just came back from seeing it...It was a great movie! I loved the Apes, i love all the emotion they conveyed, it was tense, and it had so many moments where I was sitting wondering what would happen

I had an idea that Koba would be the main antagonist in this movie, and I had a hunch Caesar would either die by his hand and then Koba would raise the apes, or Caesar would banish Koba. The way the movie executed it was overall okay.

And now the third film will be the start of the war and the definitive extinction of the humans...Then it will tie up easily with the Charlton Heston movie.

People, go watch this movie! We must turn it into a box office hit.