Why people differentiate traditional animation and CGI?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Why people differentiate traditional animation and CGI?

Post by DC Fan »

Could someone please tell me why people have something against traditional animation but like CGI?

Tell me if this has happened to you. You´re about to ask someone to watch an animated movie/series with you. If it is CGI no problem. If it is hand drawn animation...kid stuff.

I´m trying to get my friend to watch Young Justice with me (when before she enjoyed Justice League/Unlimited) and she gives me a hard time. However, she didn´t mind watching Green Lantern: The Animated Series.

She even didn´t complain recently when watching the latest Tinker Bell movies; movies clearly targeted to young girls (although anyone can enjoy).

So please, can you tell me why people make these differences? Yes, I know that CGI fills a void that between real and hand drawn. But nevertheless is STILL animation.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Why people differentiate traditional animation and CGI?

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I think it's because there's this stigma when it comes to animated movies. That hand-drawn is only for kids, for babies...That somehow CGI quickly means "for all ages". That adults will instantly enjoy a CGI film because it has adults jokes in them for the grown ups to enjoy or whatever. I blame this on Dreamworks, really, and all those adult jokes on Shrek. Now people expect animated films to have crude humor and when they don't, people get angry.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

That has nothing to do with it...animation(at least in the states, has always had that stigma regardless of the specific medium used. People differentiate because they...well... have their differences. One definitely has a more tactile hand made feel to it, the other often feels too perfect. And a lot of them have become homogenous in style. Tangled doesn't look too much different from Frozen. Not that hand drawn wasnt guity of this from time to time too, but its still there. There's less of a sense of a human making decisions and more letting simulation and guys with mo cap suits on to achive the look they want. (which tends to look pretty soulless anyway)
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I actually asked a friend of mine recently a similar question, as he tends to give CG animation more of a chance compared to traditional hand drawn. His reply was "Because one is a cartoon, and the other is a special effect, which is cooler"

I rolled my eyes at him, but there you go.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^eh? :8
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I could understand some people liking CGI over hand-drawn animation because they can better relate to a three-dimensional world and characters because they live in a three-dimensional world with three-dimensional beings.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

Could someone please tell me why people have something against traditional animation but like CGI?
It seems to me the opposite is more the case.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

And 2DDisney is not here in this thread...Seemed like perfect bait.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

Yes! Hand-Drawn Animation! TOTALLY Kiddy-stuff!

... You know, Malice in Wonderland was hand drawn.
... But for the sake of keeping sanity in tact, I won't post a link to it.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

The funny thing is that, even excluding Seth McFarlane, we seem to be seeing more adult-oriented 2D animation than CGi. Yet the stigma still stands...

Even websites like collegehumor do it all the time, with their "how x should have ended". Okay, yeah that's clearly flash, but that's more of a tool these days.
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

ajmrowland wrote:The funny thing is that, even excluding Seth McFarlane, we seem to be seeing more adult-oriented 2D animation than CGi. Yet the stigma still stands...
I find that strange that animation is still looked upon that way, even after Fox has aired adult cartoons for over a decade on Sunday night.

Growing up, I was always told that cartoons is just kids stuff. That made me then believe that all live action is adult stuff for some time. I can remember being in high school and telling a friend that I still enjoy watching cartoons, that friend thought I was nuts and said that he stopped watching them after age 12.