Hercules and Tarzan coming to Blu-Ray Soon!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Hercules and Tarzan coming to Blu-Ray Soon!

Post by Vlad »

I love it that Disney used the French DVD cover art for the Blu-ray release of Hercules. In Europe, sadly, it has the same artwork as the Gold Collection DVD (the big giant Hercules head, with the smaller characters next to him, and the same background).
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

disneyphilip wrote:
rs_milo_whatever wrote:I will burn every Disney theme park to the ground if that's true.
What you just said is INCREDIBLY stupid! One of the stupidiest things I've ever heard anyone say! :x
:lol: I've been away from UD a while, but apparently we've lost our sense of humor. Sorry?

Anyway, I really wish a special edition DVD for Hercules would have been release ten years ago, back when they added tons of extra features. I doubt a 2014 release will get ANY new features; may be if we're lucky some Greek-themed old animated short. It's so sad, Hercules is almost tied to The Lion King to my favorite DAC and it gets absolutely no love. Now, if Zero to Hero is JUST a bonus feature and NOT billed as a co-holder in some bogus double feature, that would be amazing and it would please everyone. Just put a little sticker on the slipcover that advertises the extra movie. I want to believe Hercules is safe from the double feature trend, but if it's not, I don't see Tarzan being any safer.

As for the cover, It's not the worst. It looks like the Mexican VHS cover which I always liked, which looked pretty much just like the image I've attached (in Spanish of course). Just zoom in, take out Pain and Panic and it looks so much better! The clouds background helps as well. I wouldn't mind new polished and glossy art though. Or the original theatrical poster with every character and Hercules holding the film logo? That was so nice!
Attachments
HerculesDisneyposter.jpg
HerculesDisneyposter.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

rs_milo_whatever wrote:Or the original theatrical poster with every character and Hercules holding the film logo? That was so nice!
Right? Sigh. Disney use to have such amazing theatrical release posters... It's a shame they don't use them anymore. That Hercules poster was amazing. As was the Hunchback of Notre Dame poster the year before. (With Frollo looming above the cast as they celebrated in square during the Feast of Fools.) I had that poster on my bedroom wall when I was four. It has a lot of nostalgic--what's the word--significance for me. The Great Mouse Detective re-release poster from '92 (the one I actually used for my avatar!) is amazing, too. All of those posters (and the Mulan poster of her on Khan... the one that's black and red and very stylized. Holy shit. I don't even LIKE the movie, but I LOVE that poster!) would make KILLER cover-art for Blu-ray Steelbooks or DigiBooks and Collector's Edition releases. It's a shame Disney doesn't give a shit about the adult market...

Don't get me STARTED on the lack of special features for Hercules over the years. At least Hunchback got a bitchin' LaserDisc set. Poor Herc is the odd man out of the Renaissance flicks. (Not counting Rescuers Down Under, of course.)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

milojthatch wrote:I'm wondering about that Hercules cover as a source from DHE a year ago told me "Zero to Hero" was going to be bundled with it as another double feature release.
I'd love that since Zero To Hero has never been on DVD in the US.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

ProfessorRatigan wrote: Right? Sigh. Disney use to have such amazing theatrical release posters... It's a shame they don't use them anymore. That Hercules poster was amazing. As was the Hunchback of Notre Dame poster the year before. (With Frollo looming above the cast as they celebrated in square during the Feast of Fools.) I had that poster on my bedroom wall when I was four. It has a lot of nostalgic--what's the word--significance for me. The Great Mouse Detective re-release poster from '92 (the one I actually used for my avatar!) is amazing, too. All of those posters (and the Mulan poster of her on Khan... the one that's black and red and very stylized. Holy shit. I don't even LIKE the movie, but I LOVE that poster!) would make KILLER cover-art for Blu-ray Steelbooks or DigiBooks and Collector's Edition releases. It's a shame Disney doesn't give a shit about the adult market...

To be fair, the Hunchback and Atlantis DOUBLE FEATURES used those gorgeous original theatrical release posters for cover art and they finally used The Little Mermaid theatrical poster of Ariel swimming towards the surface for a release (I don't own a 3D TV but I bought the 3D Blu-Ray because I always wanted that to be the cover. Extra $15 unapologetically spent). Here's hoping they do the same for Hercules and Tarzan; even if they are double features, using posters as cover art and keeping the "2 movie collection" tag off the spine, I would be a very happy camper. Heck, I would love to finally watch Zero to Hero, Disney Channel didn't air in Mexico unless you had a special cable package which was very uncommon there at the time.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I'm not a big fan of "double features" but I wouldn't mind if they included "Zero to Hero" with "Hercules" because I've never seen it and I've always wanted to.

I also LOVE the original "Hercules" theatrical poster. So colorful and full of life!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

If Zero to Hero is bundled with it then we'll might get new art.

Or they might do that TENG thing :lol:
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:I'm not a big fan of "double features" but I wouldn't mind if they included "Zero to Hero" with "Hercules" because I've never seen it and I've always wanted to.
Don't give them any ideas!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Zero to Hero is just 3 eps from the tv series with some wraparound animation connecting the stories isnt it? Ive never seen it but I have seen the series which was fantastic. Wish theyd put that onto dvd, especially since I havent been able to see all the eps yet.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I'd love to see the series again. There are some episodes where the animation seems more high-quality than in other episodes--I wish they were all that way. I miss this series, even though it wasn't great or anything.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

that was true of alot of their animated series back in the day. Some eps had nice animation & some had really lousy animation. Aladdin was especially bad with this...but the best thing is that they stuck mostly to the feel of the original films in art & stories(except for Timon & Pumbaa & that awful Dalmatians spinoff.)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

unprincess wrote:that was true of alot of their animated series back in the day. Some eps had nice animation & some had really lousy animation. Aladdin was especially bad with this...but the best thing is that they stuck mostly to the feel of the original films in art & stories(except for Timon & Pumbaa & that awful Dalmatians spinoff.)
The Little Mermaid was the best series from a canon classic. Hercules was fine. Aladdin could have some fine episodes, but many episodes were downright bad and lacked any charm. Timon and Pumbaa was so-so, though I would have preferred a more naturalistic choice for a series and not a "Ren & Stimpy"-esque visual style.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Cobra Jasmine still gives me nightmares... :o
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

unprincess wrote:Cobra Jasmine still gives me nightmares... :o
Oh my gosh YES ! I've worked really hard to erase that from my mind, but you've just reminded me of it :huh:

Blimey, that was one horrifying episode; especially as her hair turned into the hood of the cobra.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

the funny thing is that for some reason Disney decided to include it in one of those princess video compilations back in the 90s & on Amazon you can see a few horrified parents complaining about it in the reviews. Of all episodes, why would Disney include that one!? :?

The Aladdin series kinda liked playing with body horror. Other ep's had Jasmine turn into a rat, Jasmine, Sultan, & Abu turn into little talking piles of goo trapped in bottles. Aladdin once loses his head too. And then there's Mozenrath's arm. :o
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

It's about time! Hopefully Disney does Hercules some justice since it's been so long and no real bonus features we ever present on DVD! Now let release the black cauldron, Saludos amigos, melody time, three caballeros and Ichabod and mr toad on bluray unedited!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

unprincess wrote:the funny thing is that for some reason Disney decided to include it in one of those princess video compilations back in the 90s & on Amazon you can see a few horrified parents complaining about it in the reviews. Of all episodes, why would Disney include that one!? :?

The Aladdin series kinda liked playing with body horror. Other ep's had Jasmine turn into a rat, Jasmine, Sultan, & Abu turn into little talking piles of goo trapped in bottles. Aladdin once loses his head too. And then there's Mozenrath's arm. :o
It was included on the Princess Stories DVD?! Oh my gosh WHY?! Of all episodes, that's a shock. Though now were talking about it, I do kind of want to see it again after all these years to see if it is really that horrifying.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That was actually one of my favorite episodes (along with the B&tB-esque episode with the plant guy + Jasmine). I can see why some people found that episode horrifying, but I found it to be one of the most romantic, when Aladdin decides to become a snake with her so she won't be alone--and then you also find out the blind guy and Mirage were lovers once upon a time (although they sadly never explain more about their relationship in the series). Plus, I liked their snake designs... :P

I know I'm strange. :lol: It probably helps that it was a Mirage episode, since I loved her.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I know, Mirage & Mozenrath were my favorite villains in the show. Nah its not strange, I usually like that kinda stuff too, but I found it so out of place in a Disney series. :lol: It was the intensity of the situation too. It was taken seriously, for the horrific situation it was. If it were done today they would make sure Jasmine still looked pretty or theyd play it for laughs like its supposed to be funny.

well back on topic I hope we get some extras like at least a better making of, or a gallery. But I dont wanna get my hopes up too much. :cry:
Gabrielkat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gabrielkat »

For the Blu-ray release of Hercules, I really hope that the DVD gets an anamorphic, CAPS-sourced transfer, instead of just reusing the print-sourced, non-anamorphic transfer from the prior DVD releases.