A genre you wish Disney would tackle

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

A genre you wish Disney would tackle

Post by thedisneyspirit »

We all know Disney's most famous genre is the fantasy/fairytale/broadway musical one, but we also know the times when Disney made other genres in their movies, like action, western, adventure and so forth.

Which genre do you wish Disney would tackle on in their next movies? Aside from fairytales of course.

Personally I'm all for them making a horror film. I'm a big fan of horror, and I'm disappointed at the lack of the genre in Disney. The closest we got to horror was Night on Bald Mountain and Ichabod and Mr Toad, and that's not much. We need more scares and less silly goofy antics (which is why I'm not fond of the Haunted Mansion movie).

But Disney nowadays is so scared about what the public will say (like how people criticize Frozen for any single thing in the movie) that I don't see them pulling off a horror film with lots of scary moments and a serious atmosphere (and perhaps a dark ending) without scaring off the parents and the crazy activists out there. (Not to mention deaths- I can't see them in years pulling off deaths in a horror film, even less if they're bloody).

I can still hope though. If the film follows the example of the old-school monster films of the 40s and less the "slasher" genre of the 80s (because let's face it Disney would never showcase bloody deaths in their films) I think it would be alright.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Re: A genre you wish Disney would tackle

Post by Warm Regards »

If they could tone down the story bit (like, no female abuse scenes, little substance abuse, etc.), I could maybe see them do Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. So essentially our main character would be the doctor himself as he tries to avoid becoming the villainous Mr. Hyde.

Otherwise, they should do a historical/ costume drama based on a classic novel. Because I cannot be the only one who wishes to see an animated Mr. Darcy or Mr. Rochester :lol: And while the themes of those books (marriage for convenience, the separation of classes, etc.) may be a bit dated, it's the morals that the protagonists, both females, have that would make it worth telling. Plus Jane Eyre has a bit of horror; it's the quintessential Gothic novel.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think I'd like a mystery....a really delicious and juicy mystery. I suppose a film like that would be visualised in a way like Hunchback (in my mind anyway). And maybe an original story too?
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

Not exactly a genre, but I would like to see Disney do a princess movie without spontaneous musical numbers (keeping in mind that Brave was made by Pixar).
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I would like to see a Disney film that's more of a drama.

Of course nothing lifeless like The Black Cauldron, but something where for once, they're not distracting us with goofball sidekicks or forced romances. A few of Disney's past films came close to this, but something that can focus on a strong title character would be great.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Disney did 2 horror movies remember? Something Wicked this Way Comes and Watcher in The Woods.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Semaj wrote:I would like to see a Disney (animated) film that's more of a drama.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

HarryCanyon wrote:Disney did 2 horror movies remember? Something Wicked this Way Comes and Watcher in The Woods.
No I don't remember because I never watched that. I meant ANIMATED film because that's the most popular disney movies. Nobody cares about their live-action shit.

And besides what's wrong with asking for ONE horror movie? Disney's got bajillion movies of fantasy and princesses, and somehow it's "too much" for me to ask for one of my favorite genres to get recognition?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Even if it isn't Disney, I do think that a good animated horror movie is due. I know that Danny Antonucci had plans to make one, but I haven't heard about that in a while. I'd definitely love to see that happen.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
HarryCanyon wrote:Disney did 2 horror movies remember? Something Wicked this Way Comes and Watcher in The Woods.
No I don't remember because I never watched that. I meant ANIMATED film because that's the most popular disney movies. Nobody cares about their live-action shit.

And besides what's wrong with asking for ONE horror movie? Disney's got bajillion movies of fantasy and princesses, and somehow it's "too much" for me to ask for one of my favorite genres to get recognition?
Could Runaway Brain and Mad Doctor count ? yeah they're not horror movies, but they're still animated shorts, which is close.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I would like to see Disney tackle an epic story that crosses time and space... representing many eras. Perhaps even with the same characters living many different lives. A film that in a way represents reincarnation, or parallel dimensions... as the same characters reappear over and over in new lives.

Live-action films along these lines: Tree of Life, The Fountain, Cloud Atlas... all three films span hundreds to thousands of years in their storytelling.

There are two animated films already like this that I can think of: Rio 2096 and The Tragedy of Man.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3q9fN_JL4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSdOPcHum8[/youtube]
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

thelittleursula wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote: No I don't remember because I never watched that. I meant ANIMATED film because that's the most popular disney movies. Nobody cares about their live-action shit.

Could Runaway Brain and Mad Doctor count ? yeah they're not horror movies, but they're still animated shorts, which is close.
Yeah those work nicely.
filmmusic
Limited Issue

Post by filmmusic »

I would love a historic drama!
No silly characters, no comedy, just drama in a historic setting.

An equivalent of Schindler's list in animation!
Wow, just thinking of it....
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney used to do Westerns. I'd love to see they get back to that, and I don't mean like The Lone Ranger. That was more of a Sci Fi/Fantasy/Western than a straight Western.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I love horror and would definitely love to see them do a straight up animated horror film. Disney films have always had dark/scary elements and I personally think they've always handled it well. It'd be awesome for them to just go all out. I would also love to see a non-musical animated period piece like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights ect. Also adaptions of some Shakespeare plays.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I second the western and period piece suggestions. I'd love to see Disney take another crack at an animated western. Home on the Range did not cut it. I'd also like something more along the lines of a folk tale. Like something based on a Native American legend.