2014 Europe Diamond Editions

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

2014 Europe Diamond Editions

Post by MeerkatKombat »

First of all, sorry if there is a similar topic elsewhere.

The Diamond Edition in Europe seems to be on its last dying breaths. Promotion is just dire. I'm wondering about what 2014 Diamonds Europe can expect.

In the UK at least, Jungle Book has just been released. I guess by the non-diamond bluray releases of Aladdin, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians and Pinocchio that these titles are out of the Diamond loop. With Jungle Book expected as a Diamond in the US next year, I can't think of what will take its place in Europe. Apart from Sleeping Beauty which I imagine we will get the same time as the US next autumn, there are no more titles that could be released.

Will Europe get 1 Diamond next year (Sleeping Beauty) or may Disney pull one out of no-where? It's probably certain that there will be no spring release. This year we got two Diamonds within weeks of each other in autumn and no spring. I don't see this being repeated next year.

So after SB I doubt there will be any more Diamonds in the UK. I don't follow all the European schedules so I can't say for other countries. I was going to wait for the SB Diamond but with the ever decreasing quality I have picked up the 2008 bluray second hand. Can't be dealing with the Maleficent cross promotion that will litter the one bluray disc we inevitably get.

Any other Europeans worrying about the lack of releases we are going see? What are your thought?
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
kylemj
Limited Issue

Re: 2014 Europe Diamond Editions

Post by kylemj »

I've been wondering about it too. They don't seem to want to break tradition. by adding Jungle Book so we got 2 a year but were running out of titles. guess we can only wait and see
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

One possible approach Europe might take is to follow Australia's lead. Simply rebrand all DEs into... nothing editions. Then they have the freedom to release whatever whenever.

Europe and Australia might just release blu-ray titles we missed out such as Many Adventures, Lilo, Treasure Planet whilst the US releases 101 and Aladdin.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Victurtle wrote:One possible approach Europe might take is to follow Australia's lead. Simply rebrand all DEs into... nothing editions. Then they have the freedom to release whatever whenever.
I don't see Disney starting a new line elsewhere in the world before the US so I imagine we are pretty much done now. The Vault seems really pointless now. Disney add nothing to their new releases that is worth shouting about. I'm pretty much done with double dipping. I have no wish or need for 3D or digital copies of films. The next line will probably have a lame title like the Ultimate Editions and will have less bonus features than the crappy diamonds we have been getting lately.

The only way they would get me to triple dip is if they bought out a really comprehensive edition of HOND with all the DVD, laserdisc features and new ones. I'd pay good money for that but don't see it ever happening.

Does Australia still abide by the Vault? With no prestigious line of films are they just constantly out?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I agree, it has been totally poop this year.

Yes, there have been a lot of releases, but barely any were worth shouting about. Was jolly nice to have these movies on blu, for sure, but part of me almost doesn't want to double dip for them as I may like the movie, but the DVD still works fine, and there is nothing enticing about any of the releases (especially meaning Aladdin etc). Mermaid I now own on every platform available - just as it is my favourite and I couldn't not get it - but I didn't find the release to be anything truly special to make it stand out as a 'Diamond Edition'.

But yes, it is a big old mess in Europe for our Diamond Line for sure.

Welcome btw :wave:
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

The release schedule is pretty much the same in Norway as in Great Britain, we got Peter Pan earlier this year and The Jungle Book and The Little Mermaid just recently.

And last week Disney released Aladdin, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Brother Bear and The Rescuers all on the same day - without any promotion at all! It's like they don't want their movies to sell.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I got Aladdin and HOND in the 2 for 1 sale at Amazon. They are my two favourites so even if the blurays add nothing new, at least the film looks pretty. I wouldn't have even know they were out if I wasn't a massive amazon lurker. Even promotion for their diamonds is near non existent. Never saw an advert for Cinderella or The Little Mermaid. Seen the Jungle Book advert a couple of times.

I was kinda tempted to import the US Aladdin diamond edition if they ever get it but I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle of it. As it's going to be one of the last diamonds it will likely be poor.

I don't know why Disney dropped Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan and Pinocchio over here. At least we would have some new releases to look forward too.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I'm bringing this thread back to life to draw attention to this
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... &page=1622
Brother Dobby wrote: I emailed Disney UK about upcoming releases and got some interesting responses.

First on Bedknobs & Broomsticks, The Black Cauldron, Ichabod & Mr. Toad and Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which I was personally curious about:

Quote:
Unfortunately, these titles are not currently on release in the UK on Blu-ray format and we have no planned release dates for them at the moment on Blu-ray.
So now they're saying that Black Cauldron isn't scheduled for release. Here's hoping this changes soon.

However...

Quote:
However, we are delighted to confirm that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are both due for release on Blu-ray in June 2014, although the date is subject to change. We are also happy to confirm that Beauty and the Beast is due for release in August 2014, again the date is subject to change.

So yeah, in short it does seem like the vault isn't going to be in effect in the UK anymore.
so that's the end of that. In the UK at least. Thoughts?
Do you think NA will follow suit when the diamonds end?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm sorry, what?!

Random editions will just be around anywhere now?!
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Looks like it.
They will be bare bones. I imagine we will be lucky to get a trailer on them.

In some ways it's good. I won't have to keep buying better editions of the same film but I do kind of like the excitement of the vault.

I just want - before the end of physical media (Nooooooooo!) a really nice collector's set of every film. I mean blu ray with bonus galore, book, lithograph...whatever. Even if they were limited per country and you had to sign into the Disney website to register interest in them and mark what ones you were interested in. That's a bit extreme but it would be an event.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Atlantica wrote:I'm sorry, what?!

Random editions will just be around anywhere now?!
They are not random, they are just not Diamond-branded.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Sorry, I meant random in the sense that just released whenever, with no line / edition behind it.