Once Upon a Time (ABC TV Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Once Upon a Time (ABC TV Series)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's too bad they couldn't just do a revival for a couple of seasons and pretend like season 6-onwards or at least season 7 didn't happen. But Morrison wouldn't come back, I don't think. Probably not Goodwin either?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't think a revival would work. Aside from the strong possibility the main cast not coming back, they wrote themselves into a corner story-wise. I think a reboot that keeps the same basic premise with a new cast would be the simplest and smoothest way to go. They can make the changes that they want and introduce new characters without being beholden to the past. Another direction they could go is a self-contained spin-off like Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Something like that may not be successful on broadcast, but it would be perfect for Disney+. Surely, it would attract more interest than shows like Turner & Hooch or Mighty Ducks that no one seems to care about.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: They can make the changes that they want and introduce new characters without being beholden to the past.
They were never really concerned with that anyway. :P IDK, I'd be open to it, but so much about that show only worked because of the actors lifting it. Morrison, Parilla, Mader, Goodwin, Carlyle, etc. Even though I got to where I couldn't bear Rumpel on the show post-5A and Goodwin / Dallas felt mostly like scenery post-3, the cast were a great combo. They could always luck up again since there were some good hires throughout the later seasons (like Victoria Smurfit as Cruella, for example, she was fab or Elsa's, Ingrid's, and Merlin's actors). Most of the new ones brought on for S7 seemed really bad upfront though, which is why I opted out of watching that one.
Disney's Divinity

Anyone else watching Ginnifer Goodwin's new sitcom, Pivoting? I like it so far and I think it'll get better as it goes along (as long as it isn't cancelled). The show almost makes me think of Desperate Housewives as a half-hour solely-comedy show since the first episode is the friends attending another friend's funeral.
Disney's Divinity

Looking at how horrible ratings are these days, I don't understand why they don't think of reviving something like this or Desperate Housewives (or Ugly Betty). The ratings they left on were way above what counts as a "great success" these days, thanks in part to streaming killing off normal TV content.

I know Morrison most likely wouldn't be interested, but what they could do is have her only appear (at cameo level) in the first and last episodes, for example (I'm sure she'd at least agree to that.) Perhaps she's under some kind of curse that can't be broken with True Love's Kiss, either she's asleep or frozen or something of that kind. If they could lure Goodwin back by promising to use her more, she could fill the void left by Emma as the sort of co-lead opposite Parrilla's Regina. That way Hook could also be a part of the story even with Emma absent, with him helping them find some way to free her from the curse or whatever. They could have a few new actors, too, if they fast forward a little--Zelena's child, Snow & Charming's second child could be 15-ish or more, for example, maybe Emma and Hook could have a child that's the same age that Henry was in the Pilot to play the Henry role?

I'm just thinking of it again because I know Pivoting may not be renewed, and perhaps Goodwin is looking for TV work again. :shrug: I was just looking through Google, and I saw that Goodwin said somewhere that she'd be open to reprising the role if something like that ever happened. I'm surprised, because I always sensed she and Dallas were a little annoyed by being backgrounded too much in the later seasons.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is from the first episode of the Netflix series "Huge in France". I believe this is the first time Once Upon a Time has been referenced or parodied on another scripted show.

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Huh. Interesting.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I asked [Colin O'Donoghue] what he thought about the potential of a Once Upon a Time reunion now that the series—and some of its best episodes—have passed the 10-year mark.

"I think that the show could definitely go again. I mean, look, it's a call for Eddie and Adam, really. I've spoken to them and a few other people about it, and I think what's great about Once is I think that you could kind of come back and just pick up where it left off, or whatever that is. What was great about Once Upon a Time, and what was great about working on it was that every episode there was something new and fresh and different. There was a different world, there were different characters, there were different sorts of aspects of Disney and fairy tales. Here’s the thing, fairy tales will never go out of fashion. They haven't for hundreds of years, and I don't see them going out of fashion anytime soon. Also, there are no shows like that now at the minute, you know what I mean? I mean, don't get me wrong, there's tons of really incredible shows. But there's nothing like that where it was a case of, families were literally excited to sit down on a Sunday night to watch it together and spend time with each other and talk about it. The community of people who came together because of Once Upon a Time is just incredible, like a family."
Source: https://collider.com/colin-odonoghue-once-upon-a-time/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's really nice to hear! A reunion, a sequel show, and how fairy tales never go out of fashion!
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I stopped following the show midway through, but I'd be up for some kind of cast reunion. Heck, if it was just something like the FRIENDS special on MAX, that'd be a great way to boost the Disney+ catalog.
Disney's Divinity

I'd be up for a revival if all the major actors came back. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if Morrison would come back and she was a big part of what made the show what it was to me. I mean, I could survive if they couldn't get Goodwin back as Snow or even Carlyle as Rumpel, but Emma was the main character. Her interactions with the others is what drove the series.

I suppose they could do a reboot or make a new show (different title) with a similar conceit? The only thing is I'm not sure what kind of cast they would pick... I remember the season 7 reboot attempt had a bunch of terrible actors. That + Mader not being brought back initially is why I didn't bother watching it.