Disney Books

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney Books

Post by thedisneyspirit »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ The "They Drew As They Pleased" books are so well-done- I forgot to include them in my list but I have those. So much concept art in those. Very nice collection!!
Hello, thank you so much for the kind words!!! It means so much especailly consdering how amazing your collection is!! Your collection is the one that anyone would envy and I can tell how much love and affection you have put into it!

I agree with you that They Drew as They Pleased is a wonderful series and I've learned so much about underrated Disney artists from them. My favorite is Bianca Majolie and may God bless her for the beautiful works she provided us as her legacy.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Farerb you have Art of TPATF! that book is so expensive and hard to find right now! Im hoping once the ride and tv show come out they will re-release it.

I have way too many Disney books, and I have more I still need to buy. I still need The Art of Raya and Tangled books and the Art of Disney Princess book and a few others. I wanted to get the 70's-80's version of They Drew as They Pleased hoping there would be some Oliver and Company concept art but I found out there really wasn't any.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It was hard to find and wasn't cheap, but it was the lowest price that I've seen and I really wanted the book so I went ahead and bought it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

A new Disney Princess book titled "Disney Princess: Beyond the Tiara" is coming out on September 13, 2022.
Featuring concept art, memorabilia, and original interviews, Disney Princess: Beyond the Tiara explores the legacies of the princesses and what they represent today.

Everyone knows the Disney Princess characters, but how did they become the pop culture icons we know today? From the princesses created in the early 1900s, such as Snow White and Aurora, to the modern additions of the 2000s, such as Merida and Moana, each Disney Princess character’s influence has expanded beyond their original film. Their stories create a fabric with the power to inspire our imaginations, spark social conversations, and empower us.

Organized by themes of origins and inspirations, reimaginings, toys and collectables, fashion, music, parks, fandom, and more, Disney Princess: Beyond the Tiara features memorabilia and interviews with Disney historians, directors, voice talent, and fans. Explore the different eras, influences, and legacies of the princesses with Disney legends such as Jodi Benson (voice of Ariel in The Little Mermaid and author of the book’s foreword) and composer Alan Menken.

What is it that has made these characters resonate through so many generations and cultures? How have they become a reflection of pop culture as we know it? Delve into these indelible characters and find the Disney Princess hero within you!
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess- ... 760373620/

Another upcoming Disney Princess book of interest is "A Disney Princess Journey Through History" that's getting released on October 11, 2022.
This deluxe hardcover picture book takes young readers around the world and back to experience the true historical times of the Disney Princesses—featuring illustrations and photographs!

What was it like to live in a village like Belle's from Beauty and the Beast in France during the 1700s? Or a household in China like Mulan's over a thousand years ago? What kind of gadgets and gizmos would Ariel from The Little Mermaid have found if she had lived in the Mediterranean Sea? Did people really wear glass slippers to the ball like Cinderella?

This hardcover book features all the Disney Princesses—including Moana, Snow White, Pocahontas, Jasmine from Aladdin, Merida from Brave, Tiana from The Princess and the Frog, Tangled's Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty's Aurora, and more—with information about the historical settings their films were inspired by! Disney Princess fans ages 6 to 9 can learn about the traditions, the technology of the times, and the legends surrounding each Disney Princess featuring a mix of full-color illustrations and historical photos.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess- ... 736439390/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool books. But the latter book is meant for only up to age 9? It sounds like any age above 9 would be interested, too!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Those two new princess books will be must haves for me! Hopefully the books wont be too "kiddy" Also I hope they eventually release that Disney Prince book that was cancelled years ago. And I still need to get the Art of Disney Princess book.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Those two Princess books sound amazing. :) I'm looking forward to seeing the covers. The one that Charles Solomon wrote, released back in 2020 is beautiful to look at.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

does anyone know what the difference is b/w these two books? I cant tell if they're the same but with different covers. Also why the big price difference?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/13680 ... 0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18007 ... 014A&psc=1
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the one with the characters on the cover is from the UK. Not much came up when I searched Google for the 13-digit ISBNs, but the one with the characters on the cover also had an Amazon UK link, and most of the reviews on the Amazon.com link are from the UK. Whereas the plain purple cover book is shown on books.disney.com so I assume that's the US version. I could be wrong but that's what I assume.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

thanks, yeah that's what I thought too, since UK imports(books and toys) tend to cost more.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Andreas Deja has written a book about the making of The Jungle Book. It's coming out on September 20, 2022.
Written by Disney Legend Andreas Deja and lavishly illustrated, Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book gathers original animation celluloids, animation drawings, and concept art—many of which have never been shown to the public—from the popular exhibition at The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. Considered one of the finest and most influential Disney movie, The Jungle Book (1967) is the last animated film that Walt Disney personally produced with his signature vision and footprint. This curated collection explores the nuanced complexities and challenges that were overcome throughout the film’s development and production, such as the unique characters and their voice-actor counterparts, the application of cutting-edge animation techniques of the time, and the timeless, original songs by the Sherman Brothers and Terry Gilkyson. Dive into the impact of Walt’s passing on the Disney Studios and the everlasting legacy of the film throughout the world.

• Never-before-seen animation: Includes original animation celluloids, animation drawings, and concept art from lead animators, most of which have never been seen by the public.

• Heartwarming behind-the-scenes stories: Learn how lead animators Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas’s real-life friendship became the inspiration for the on-screen chemistry between the characters Mowgli and Baloo.

• Explore the history of a beloved classic: Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book narrates the complexities faced during the film’s development and production as well as the use of new animation techniques at the time.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disneys-Jun ... 681888939/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

YES!!!!! So excited for this! I don't remember him mentioning the book on his blog.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Excellent news! :pink: I`ve always wanted a proper Making of-book of The Jungle Book and always thought it was a pity that it never had one. So I`m glad that it`s finally receiving one. But coming from Andreas Deja, who`s a big Jungle Book fan, it`s not a surprise :P
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That sounds awesome! I love that cover art!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I got the The Disney Princess book. It was really great, but some information was wrong. Like he said Snow White was originally going to have a veil, and then in the final film they removed it. But that veil was for her wedding, not her usual princess look throughout the film. Also, I swear he credited a photo of Adriana Caselotti as Marge Champion! So it makes me worry over what else in the book he got wrong. Oh well, overall it's a good book. Really goes into how each princess was made and what they would do in real life.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There's going to be an exhibition at the Walt Disney Family Museum in the summer that tie-ins to Andreas Deja's upcoming book about The Jungle Book.
The Walt Disney Family Museum is delighted to announce its next major special exhibition, Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book: Making a Masterpiece, in celebration of the beloved Disney animated classic’s 55th anniversary. Guest-curated by acclaimed animator and Disney Legend Andreas Deja, Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book: Making a Masterpiece will debut Summer 2022 in the Diane Disney Miller Exhibition Hall.

This original exhibition will explore the creative complexities behind the making of The Jungle Book (1967), including each character’s unique personality and voice actor counterparts, the rich artwork and use of cutting-edge animation techniques, the memorable soundtrack of original songs by the Sherman Brothers and Terry Gilkyson, the impact of Walt’s passing during production, and the film’s enduring popularity and influence decades after its release. Full exhibition details and opening date will be announced in early April.
Source: https://www.waltdisney.org/jungle-book
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jodi Benson is releasing her autobiography on September 13, 2022.
Join Disney Legend Jodi Benson on a magical journey from a Midwestern town to the bright lights of Broadway and the recording booth where she brought one of the most beloved Disney princesses of all time to life!

A treasure trove of colorful characters and unforgettable anecdotes, Part of My World reads like a real-life fairy tale as a girl with a big voice and even bigger dreams sets out on the adventure of a lifetime. Along the way, Jodi shares lessons she's learned about faith, friendship, love, loss, taking chances, making mistakes, following God’s call, and chasing your dreams. In Part of My World you’ll come alongside Jodi as she
• struggles to find her footing in the rehearsal halls of Manhattan;
• finds (then loses, then marries) her prince charming;
• makes a splash on Broadway;
• gives voice to a feisty redheaded mermaid, a blonde bombshell named Barbie, and a Tony-nominated powerhouse named Polly; and
• searches for her own personal happily ever after.

Written with warmth, humor, and disarming vulnerability, Part of My World is a captivating glimpse behind the curtain at the making of one of the most celebrated animated movies of all time, and a must-read for Disney fans of all ages.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Part-My-World-Le ... 496453271/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, wow, really nice! I'd definitely like to read it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

With all of these amazing books coming up, why couldn`t they be released any sooner? :P
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What an awful cover, now I'm not sure I want to buy it:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/15 ... c0_LQ&s=19