Aladdin on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Will Aladdin be the next Disney on Broadway?

Post by candydog »

I've recently been thinking - The idea for beauty and the beast on b'way came from the stage musicals of it in the disney theme parks. Tarzan had a few stage shows in the parks, and that was soon made into a full scale musical. Little mermaid at MGM was successful and so that will soon be a musical, is that what disney likes to do? It seems that before they make a full scale broadway musical, they like to try out a few smaller, condensed versions in the parks. It makes me wonder, in the last few years we've had Snow white the musical at DL and Finding Nemo Musical at WDW. The most popular to date seems to be the Aladdin musical at DL. Will they turn it into a big musical?
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

OMG, I wish we had an Aladdin musical at WDW. But I cant complain, I have The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. I havent had a chance to see the Finding Nemo one yet, is it any good?

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

I've never seen the finding nemo musical either, I've seen a video of it on youtube though. It does look quite good.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

"Finding Nemo: The Musical" is really good. I enjoyed it a lot! The music will stay in your head all day, and the costumes/props are great.

I adore Aladdin & Jasmine, so I think it'd be really neat if there was an "Aladdin" stage show. The "Tarzan" stage show deals with flying, so hopefully there wouldn't be a problem with Genie or Carpet.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Years ago I think on the Macy's New Year day parade they had a preview number from Disney's Aladdin... I thought it looked good... Perhaps it was only going to be seen at the Disney Attraction Parks.... I believe the showed a scene from A Friend Like me and they had dozen of Real Life Genies and an Aladdin and I thought I might enjoy if it ever did become a stage show and go on the road...

Does anyone else remember this or am I the only one??
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
crunkcourt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by crunkcourt »

It wouldn't surprise me if Aladdin was one of the next broadway show. While I haven't seen it, I hear that the one in Disneyland is amazing, and is already very broadwayesque. So it seems almost like they are prepping that show for a broadway run. However, I also thought that Aladdin would come before Tarzan and the Little Mermaid.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I wouldn't be surprised either.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I've seen the Aladdin show in Disneyland! I actually get there quite frequently.

It is amazing - very well done. I would recommend it to everybody here.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I have a funny story about this actually...

When i saw the Aladdin show in DL Jasmine's mic malfunctioned and one of the guards's mic fell off all on the same scene. I'm a theater major so i could kind of see the terror in everyone's eyes during this scene, but they handled it very well considering the guard had to keep on bowing and everytime he bowed the mic would slam on the stage and you couldn't hear Jasmine giving her lines about how she is the princess and that the guards should let aladdin go. But still Aladdin tried to cover by saying that he she didn't have to say anything bc he could defend himself or something like that. it was fun improve.

Besides all that though, they quickly fixed everything and the rest of the show was great! i would love to see it hit broadway. Then maybe i could be in it!!! lol
Thomas J
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thomas J »

They already have a script for Aladdin the musical.

I doubt it'll be on Broadway.

The town I live in is doing it this summer. Only, they're doing the junior version (Titled: Aladdin Jr.) because it's for kids between 6th grade and 10th grade.
Disney on Broadway:
Beauty and the Beast - December 2, 2006
The Lion King - February 28, 2007 & February 16, 2008
The Little Mermaid - December 12, 2007, December 22, 2007 & January 7, 2009
Mary Poppins - February 1, 2009
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It would be really neat for Aladdin to become a Broadway show. Unless the DVD's sales don't hold anything back, there's a possibilty we might get this as a Broadway show in a few more years.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Is the Snow White show still playing at disneyland? I saw it on the Disney Princesses website, yet the last 3-4 times I was at disneyland, I didn't see it anywhere.....
DisneyRoyalty

Post by DisneyRoyalty »

The Aladdin show at DL is indeed amazing. You have to go to California Adventure to see it. My threatre teacher saw it and said it was like seeing a broadway show, just condensed. The sets and music and everything are fab! I love it. I even line up about an hour before showtime to make sure I get a seat in the first few rows! It would make a great broadway show. But I would be sad tosee it leave DL.

The Snow White show is gone. It used to be at the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland, but that theatre has now been converted into the Disney Princess Fantasy Faire.
"Animation can create whatever the mind of man can concieve" - Walt Disney
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

DisneyRoyalty wrote: The Snow White show is gone. It used to be at the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland, but that theatre has now been converted into the Disney Princess Fantasy Faire.
That's what I figured. How long was it there for? That Princess Faire sucks! :lol:
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Wouldn't it be perceived as a risky move by Disney? Considering the less than stellar results that the PE DVD had generated and according to some noteworthy theories some folks here brought up - that maybe America is not ready yet to swallow an Arab-oriented film - in light of the political issues in recent years.

I think the ill-fated DVD release in 2004 proved that "Aladdin" is not the same mass-appealing flick that it once was.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

What's the story on the Snow White stage show they used to broadcast on the Disney Channel? It had some new songs in it and others were extended. Ever see it? Was the new material intended for the feature? It's been years since I've seen it but it wasn't a bad show.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Well, while most sources will say that the next Disney Broadway show will be Hunchback of Notre Dame, I really hope that Aladdin will one day hit the Great White Way. I was looking on YouTube and someone uploaded highlights from the 45-minute stage show they put on in Disney Land called Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular, including a new song written by Alan Menken called "To Be Free" which is sung by Jasmine; it can be seen in the third video. I really enjoyed the song, I hope you guys check it out and like it as well!

Video 1:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCpAP00boxA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCpAP00boxA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Video 2:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/usZBZT5vIQ8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/usZBZT5vIQ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Video 3:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Or9pTBLJHiY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Or9pTBLJHiY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

I think Aladdin would be a huge broadway success. Partly, because it's less gender-defined than BATB or TLM. Plus the music is all great and there are plenty of already-composed songs that didn't make the movie that could be re-worked for the stage.
I still can't understand how Tarzan became a broadway show. It was never a real 'classic'.
IMO, the DVD sales didn't suffer because the movie has an Arabic setting - children's DVD's were a tougher sell because children are now onto a different realm of movies and anyone who is interested in Aladdin most likely has that old VHS. It's hard to say. I never fully understood the DVD sales for Aladdin - but the movie is so renowned in Disney's repertoire that I think a blu-ray version would still be profitable!
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

rb_canadian181 wrote:I think Aladdin would be a huge broadway success. Partly, because it's less gender-defined than BATB or TLM.
May I ask what you mean by this statement? It has me intrigued... :)
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular is AMAZING for a show that runs so many times a day. I would love seeing what they do with in a Broadway scale.