DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matrix and widescreen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:49 am 
Platinum Edition

I've just done some browsing of Amazon.Com and I see that the upcoming Matrix Reloaded will be released in a widescreen and fullscreen version.

Does anyone know why. As far as I can see the original Matrix is only available in widescreen in America (and everywhere else) and this didn't stop it from becoming (one of?) the highest selling DVD of all time.

Likewise, X-Men/X-Men 1.5 were widescreen only and top sellers, but the studio has decided to release X2 with a fullscreen disc too.

Why would this be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

I guess as high as they sell, studio execs feel that they'd sell even higher (or maybe customer satisfaction would increase) if they produced copies in Fullscreen, too. No doubt that for these movies, widescreen will sell far better, but I do miss the days when major releases would be widescreen-only. Now, Disney is one of the only studios that do issue major films in widescreen-only. But as we know, they're doing that merely because it's cheaper than doing two versions, and they find pissing a percentage of the population off a totally valid side effect to cutting costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

and don't forget the percentage of the population that ignorant to the excellence of Widescreen/OAR. and Fools that like their FoolScreen plus they like to be Pan & Scammed! :lol: as for me I only buy Widescreen, and if not available I most likely won't even bother buying it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:36 pm 
Collector's Edition

Some people don't like the black bars on their tvs so they want full frame. My dad is one of these people. Another was my supervisor. He thought something was with his DVD player when he saw the black bars and I told him the difference between widescreen and fullscreen. Well, needless to say, he rents fullscreen because he doesn't want to buy a new TV. Go figure!