Pixar's Brave - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar's Brave - Part II

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:I hope Lasseter doesn't give him a second go as director.
I'd hate to break it to you but Andrews is already working on another Pixar film as both writer and director. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

Sotiris wrote:
I'd hate to break it to you but Andrews is already working on another Pixar film as both writer and director. :P
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

PatrickvD wrote:
Sotiris wrote: He really does give off that vibe. And the fact that he's lobbying to make Pixar produce their films cheaper and faster is really not helping his case. :eyebrow:
Right. I forgot about that. Definitely not helping.

I hope Lasseter doesn't give him a second go as director. He didn't earn it as far as I'm concerned.
The truly insane thing is that the person who recommended Pixar hire Andrews is...Brad Bird. Yeah, he brought him along from Warner Brothers Animation and now, Pixar is stuck with him.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Meanwhile, back at "Walt Disney Animation Studios": :zzz:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
I read that, but I'm just hoping right now they'll keep it in development hell. :twisted:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I thought this was funny. :lol: That kid should have told him that Brave sucked instead. :twisted:
And on Tuesday morning, Pixar’s Oscar-winning director Mark Andrews shared some of his expertise with primary school pupils in Glasgow.

"Your accent is so cool," said one of the Pirie Park Primary pupils. "I love Kung Fu Panda," another added.

"Close, that’s Dreamworks," Mark replied.
Source: http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/magazine/22 ... -in-govan/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:I thought this was funny. :lol: That kid should have told him that Brave sucked instead. :twisted:
How do you know he didn't? :twisted:

I doubt he'd tell us though. But I just had a vision of people throwing eggs and tomatoes at Andrews every time he attempts to leave his house. It was a nice daydream, so thanks for that. :lol:
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

So I'm rewatching the audio commentary for Brave... did it bother anyone else that Mark Andrews introduced himself as the director for the film? And that Brenda isn't even included on the commentary?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Patrick wrote:So I'm rewatching the audio commentary for Brave... did it bother anyone else that Mark Andrews introduced himself as the director for the film? And that Brenda isn't even included on the commentary?
He mentions Brenda twice on the commentary. But yeah, he introduces himself as the director.

And his high and annoying voice made my ears bleed. Yes, I know that I'm repeating myself, but I couldn't miss this opportunity to diss him, haha.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mark Andrews admits there was often conflict on the set of the $185 million-budget animation but never enough to put him off.

He added: “I don’t know what the hardest moment of making Brave was. I don’t think that way. There’s lot of squabbling. This is art. I argued with chief creative officer John Lasseter on why screen direction is better one way rather than another way. You argue with animators over taking two frames out of a shot rather than four. We argue about colours and characters. This is a bunch of artists in a room who have very strong ideas about what it is and should be and you are yelling at each other. You are yelling about logic, which actually doesn't exist in art. We argued over all of it, every damn frame. Every pixel in that movie was a fight.”
Source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainm ... ve-1845314
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Questions regarding Brave.

Post by DC Fan »

Guys, help me out.

I have a couple of questions about Brave that would like answer.

1. This is regarding something from the movie:

I don´t understand the reasoning of why the father wanted so badly to kill the mother/bear.

On one side there´s the fact that witches are real. The Queen believed so instantly. And you would argue that she had to since she was transformed. Not necessarily. She could have chosen not to believe so and think it was something else. So, if that´s established, how come the king didn´t believe Merida?

How come he didn´t hesitate for a single moment in killing the bear? Even if he didn´t want to listen to Merida still she was so determined on protecting the bear that there had to be something going on. He could have stopped at a certain point and let Merida explain again. But he just had to kill the bear at all costs.

Not only did I not understand this but also made no sense to me.

2. How much the creative differences between Brenda Chapman and the rest of the team affected the movie?

I mean, if there were none of these problems, had Brave turned out in a different way? Or this was how it was intended to be from the start?

Thanks
Last edited by DC Fan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disney's Divinity

Re: Questions regarding Brave.

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Plot convenience/bad writing.

2. As far as I know, everyone involved has said the film is mostly the way Brenda Chapman had left it when she was fired for being "difficult." The only difference is the added (stupid) humor with the father and brothers, I believe.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

As for your answer regarding question 1...I´m glad to see that you also saw that. Because, that was the only part where I was just shocked not understanding why that happened.

As for your answer of question 2...just wanted to know if the movie was supposed to be an adventure/epic movie or as it is was how it was meant from the start.

Thanks

By the way,

Just watched the Legend of Mordru short and was REALLY disappointed by it. Not the story itself but the style used for the animation. To me Pixar could have done a much better artistic choice than that.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Wanted to share something with you guys.

My best friend didn´t cry with Toy Story but she did so with Brave. :?

Not saying that Brave wasn´t capable of being emotional. However, Toy Story 3 was in fact made to reach at one´s feelings.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Perhaps this is old news, but anyway; I've recently bought the "Art of Brave" and Brenda states that the bear plot line was a part of her original idea all along.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

DC Fan, people feel differently to different things, that will always be the way with film. A certain moment will touch some people's hearts, others it won't. You can't dictate what should be felt and what shouldn't !
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

It was a decent movie and i do own it on blu-ray but it does feel like a mix of Brother Bear, Shrek, Princess Bride, Ladyhawke, Aladdin, Mulan etc. combined.

But i do admit Merida is cute for a CGI chick, lol.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

It's kinda funny when people rip off this film for copying the "rebellious princess who doesn't wanna get married" and saying it was added from Disney executives, when it seems even Brenda Chapman wanted that incorporated into the original film.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Re:

Post by HarryCanyon »

Funny how Duster thinks Pixar isn't magic lol.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »