DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline
Super Genius

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 4:27 am
Posts: 532
Location: San Jose CA
I can't find any recent threads that deal with this topic, so here goes. Which Disney characters do you think make the best (or worst) role models, and why?

I think Esmeralda is a great role model, because she doesn't want to see Quasimodo be mistreated, and she doesn't care if she upsets Frollo by putting a stop to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 1187
Location: Maine
I've known for a while that Ariel is considered a bad role model because she sends messages to little girls that they shouldn't speak up for themselves to boys/men also they'd have to change their physical features to be liked by other people.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Sky Syndrome on Sun May 20, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 449
Location: California
No disrespect, but the argument that she had to change herself to be liked and wasn't true to herself is crap. Seriously, did whoever said that even watch the movie? Part of Your World was all about how she WANTED to be part of the human world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:01 pm 
Offline
Special Edition

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 am
Posts: 346
RyGuy wrote:
No disrespect, but the argument that she had to change herself to be liked and wasn't true to herself is crap. Seriously, did whoever said that even watch the movie? Part of Your World was all about how she WANTED to be part of the human world.


I'm with RyGuy, a lot of people thinks Ariel only wants a human body because se wants to be with Eric, but that's not true.
Not only because "Part of your world" appears before meeting Eric, it's because the lyrics and the heart of the song.
She doesn't want to be human for being liked by Eric, she wants her own freedom and see all that things her father doesn't approves.
I don't think she's a bad model for people because being selfish, it's a model of a dreamer, like many Disney characters.

I'm sorry if my english is wrong xD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:52 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 4519
Location: UK
Though he never appears at all on film, I'd say Thumper's father is the best role model. A word of wisdom every morning, it seems, whether on healthy eating...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xDjkmUsPMcc" frameborder="0"></iframe>

...or on general tact.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nGt9jAkWie4" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Yes, Thumper's father wins.

_________________
-Joe

Blog | Deviantart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:06 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 3590
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Von Drake. He knows everything from science to art, he's modest and handsome and loveable too. He wrote every form of popular music, is swell at brain surgery and all around just has a superior mind.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:34 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:22 am
Posts: 963
Location: Buffalo
Jiminy Cricket is a good role model. Let it be known that he wasn't a perfect one. He bumbled quite a few times when dealing with Pinocchio, namely turning his back when he most needed help. Of course, without the little help he did give, Pinocchio probably wouldn't have learned his life lessons to becoming a real boy, and probably would've been killed (he even remembered "Give a Little Whistle" when held captive by Stromboli).

I think it helped that even though Jiminy was supposed to be Pinocchio's most visible authority figure, they both shared a mutual problem and learned from it together.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 4956
Location: Ohio, United States of America
Not gonna lie: Winnie the Pooh. But, seriously. Even though he can come off as brainless and apathetic, he's one of the most modest and humble of the Disney characters. He may not be the brightest but he's just happy, welcoming and gracious to others. He may be oblivious to his surroundings and the emotions of others, but his lackadaisical yet caring essence is what I immediately think of as a role model. Not all role models have to be super intelligent or be a leader, but it's the qualities that the person, or in this case the bear, has that makes him a good role model. This could totally come of as childish, but Winnie the Pooh has a great heart, and I readily identify with that.

_________________
Image

The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:51 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 10428
Location: USA
I think that Pongo and Perdita are great role models. They go to great lengths to save their kids, and they adopt a whole lot more!!!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8101
Location: Appleton, WI
Semaj wrote:
Jiminy Cricket is a good role model. Let it be known that he wasn't a perfect one. He bumbled quite a few times when dealing with Pinocchio, namely turning his back when he most needed help. Of course, without the little help he did give, Pinocchio probably wouldn't have learned his life lessons to becoming a real boy, and probably would've been killed (he even remembered "Give a Little Whistle" when held captive by Stromboli).

I think it helped that even though Jiminy was supposed to be Pinocchio's most visible authority figure, they both shared a mutual problem and learned from it together.


basically, instead of being all-wise like the ideal conscience, he grew up a little himself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 7076
Location: America
The peopel that said that about Ariel just have the weakest poorest argument their could ever be. It's just wrong and out of nowhere.

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
Not gonna lie: Winnie the Pooh. But, seriously. Even though he can come off as brainless and apathetic, he's one of the most modest and humble of the Disney characters. He may not be the brightest but he's just happy, welcoming and gracious to others. He may be oblivious to his surroundings and the emotions of others, but his lackadaisical yet caring essence is what I immediately think of as a role model. Not all role models have to be super intelligent or be a leader, but it's the qualities that the person, or in this case the bear, has that makes him a good role model. This could totally come of as childish, but Winnie the Pooh has a great heart, and I readily identify with that.

I would agree a lot, actually. The only thing is, Pooh really should try to be more considerate. And if he can't help that he's not...that still doesn't necessarily make him a good role model. He doesn't seem to care when he should sometimes, and whethere it's his fault or not, should kids be imitating that? Kids should learn from people who try to understand other people's emotions and problems.

Anyway, why do you think he's a good role model for using his heart and not his brain, when you seem to care a lot about being intelligent and using your brain instead of using your heart in matters where the brain could come up with soul-crushing ideas?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:05 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 6750
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
Hard question.

Some that come to mind: Pongo, Gepetto, Pocahontas, Nani, Mulan, Bagheera, Kala, Hercules, Esmeralda. These are some characters I feel have few character (or story) flaws. I do think some other characters could be included as good role models with some flaws.

I won’t go into the negative role models, but they’re there, no doubt.

@Duster: Actually agree about Pooh. I used to think he was so cruel to Rabbit (even if unintentionally). :lol: He's probably one of those I would still consider okay even with some flaws.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:16 am 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Australia
I agree on Jiminy Cricket. I like it that he is not a helper without anything to learn himself.

I also can't leave Thumper out. His iconic line melts my heart. Image

Another very good role model would be Mulan. She saved her Father from likely death, against his own will, along with the expectations of her society.

I'll think of more. :wink:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:28 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 4956
Location: Ohio, United States of America
Disney Duster wrote:
I would agree a lot, actually. The only thing is, Pooh really should try to be more considerate. And if he can't help that he's not...that still doesn't necessarily make him a good role model. He doesn't seem to care when he should sometimes, and whether it's his fault or not, should kids be imitating that? Kids should learn from people who try to understand other people's emotions and problems.


Hmm. I guess I'm just saying that all Disney characters, and people, have flaws and no one person/character is the ultimate "role model." Pooh may be inconsiderate to others, but it's not out of spite or on purpose (which, yes, is a flaw that may not be a welcoming attribute to a role model). And I don't think kids should imitate anyone, including role models/parents. I mean, that's certainly going to happen to some extent, but they should be their own persons. For the most part, I think Pooh is an interesting character who is genuine and kids can learn from that.

Quote:
Anyway, why do you think he's a good role model for using his heart and not his brain, when you seem to care a lot about being intelligent and using your brain instead of using your heart in matters where the brain could come up with soul-crushing ideas?


Do I come off as only caring about intelligence? Yes, I think intelligence is good and I'm not the biggest fan of those who don't use the brains they obviously have, but I think heart is just as important. And, I'm not entirely sure what the bolded means...

_________________
Image

The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2264
I personally have no feels one way or the other about Ariel, but I have heard some (my wife included) that felt she was a bad role model because she basically sold her soul to the devil, and that the movie as a whole was bad because she got away with it and everything turned out ok in the end despite her actions.

For me, some names that come to mind (including Pixar) would be Rapunzel, Thumper's father, Mulan, Woody, Patcha, Dory, Dumbo, Pocahontas, Aladdin, Ray, Cody, Flick, Russell, Wall-E and Hercules, with honorable mention going to Tarzan.

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2095
milojthatch wrote:
I personally have no feels one way or the other about Ariel, but I have heard some (my wife included) that felt she was a bad role model because she basically sold her soul to the devil, and that the movie as a whole was bad because she got away with it and everything turned out ok in the end despite her actions.

I think Ariel understood the error of her ways at the end. After all, she saw her father turn into a sea-slug due to her actions and thus, understood the consequences of what she did and why it was wrong.

My theory is it wasn't Ariel that got her the happy ending and life on land she wished, but rather Triton who makes the final decision in the end.

_________________
"If your life had a face, I would punch it." - Kim Pine, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:42 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Indiana
I admire Cinderella for continuing to dream/wish for a better life some day.

She had a happy life until her stepmother and stepsisters came into her life. Her life was turned upside down to where she had to serve them and maintain the house. Through it all, she was long-suffering and patient.

_________________
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 am 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 214
Location: Texas
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Belle. I think Belle embodies a lot of admirable traits. The fact that she much prefers reading over fawning over Gaston like every other eligible young lady in town shows that she probably doesn't give in much to gender roles. The fact that she wasn't afraid to get into verbal altercations with the Beast not only shows that she can stand up for herself, but also shows that she doesn't judge a person based on their physical appearance, but rather on their character, because any other person probably wouldn't dare antagonize the Beast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 am 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Australia
^ ^ ^

I agree. :thumb:

Belle is crticised for being "prissy" and "weak", but I like her because she doesn't take crap. :wink:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 960
As far as the whole Ariel debate goes...

I don't think it's fair to pinpoint her as a role model, good or bad. The story would have suffered greatly had they attempted to give her too much of a feminist twist. She NEEDED to be a rebellious teenager in order for not only her, but for Triton to grow and by the end, forgive each other. Everything Ariel did to make her wish come true had failed, and she knew that it was only through the mercy and forgiveness of her father that she was able to receive her hearts desire. So while certain characters in Disney movies may be individual role models, I think The Little Mermaid's story, as a whole, is the "role model" for both children AND parents.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jazzflower92 and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group