DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow and the Seven
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:14 pm 

http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=3631a5a1&atype=news&id=12309

Walt Disney Pictures has hired Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon to pen SNOW AND THE SEVEN, a martial arts take on SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, reports HOLLYWOOD REPORTER. Hong Kong director Yuen Wo Ping will make his English-language directorial debut on the film. Andrew Gunn is producing with Gunnfilm's Ann Marie Sanderlin serving as exec producer. Brigham Taylor is overseeing the film for the studio. Set in 1880s British colonial China, the fantasy and martial arts film will follow the Grimm Brothers fairy tale with seven Shaolin monks aiding the heroine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:29 pm 

I've gotta say, I think I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm sort of hoping they go for a more campy feel, because I don't know how seriously I could take the story when it has shaolin monks. Still, I'd prefer this over a Snow White II DTV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:00 pm 
Collector's Edition

Are you kidding me?? :? :?
I don't know what to think.

Its not even April 1st

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:40 pm 
Limited Edition

If Disney is making it, I'm watching and buying baby !!

My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:43 pm 
Collector's Edition

A martial arts take on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?! What is Disney coming to? Sounds rather interesting though.

Lilo: I'm not touching you!
Stitch: TOUCHING ME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:48 pm 
Collector's Edition

Could be the sequel to Shaolin Soccer :?

Shaolin Diamond-Digger

"LETS KICK SOME ROCKS!!"

Post subject: what is this???
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:48 pm 
Special Edition

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon will write "Snow and the Seven," an East-meets-West retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," for Walt Disney Pictures. Hong Kong director Yuen Wo Ping will make his English-language directorial debut on the film, which Andrew Gunn is producing.

"Snow and the Seven" will be set in 1880s British colonial China and will have fantasy and martial arts elements, with the "seven" being Shaolin monks. The story also will hearken back to aspects of the original Grimm Brothers' fairy tale.

Brigham Taylor is the Disney exec on the project, and Gunnfilm's Ann Marie Sanderlin is executive producing.

Chabon is the author of "Wonder Boys" and "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay," which won him the 2001 Pulitzer for literature. Chabon also was a writer on "Spider-Man 2."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Merged your new post with the more clearly-titled, existing thread.

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Honestley I am not sure what to think about this one? And this is going to be a Disney movie. I am sure it will turn out great I am just trying to picutre these plots togethere. :? (I feel Clueless) So exscuse me if this post dosent make to much sencse :oops: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:23 pm 

actually, this isnt news to me. it was announced at animenation in 2002! actually, i was just starting to wonder what had happened about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:10 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Errr...strange.

Blog | Deviantart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:05 am 
Gold Collection

I didn't see it anywhere so... Is this going to be animated or no?

Post subject: "Snow and the seven"
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:12 pm 

If you look deep into the upcoming movies section on Moviefone.com you will see that the Disney Corperation is working on a twist on the Snow White and the zeven dwarves. It's about a girl raised by seven munks who it being trained to fight the forces of evil.

Not only is Disney once agian going back to rehashing old ideas, but WALT DISNEY himself personally spoke out agianst a sequeal to his very first feature length animated film. :evil:

Some might say this isn't really a sequeal it's a remake. A remake is even worse. Why is the disney corperation going to sully this historic film? :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don't even think this would qualify as a remake, it's sounds like it's own project alltogether that just basis itself on the general story of SWat7D. If it were being animated I'd have to change this opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I believe this might just be in the "developing" stages.

This isn't the first time that Disney has tried to re-hash the Snow White story with an original twist. In the late 1970s, early 1980s Disney was working on a live-action science fiction parody (a la "Snow White" meets "Dark Star") called "Snow Star". Think of it as a precursor to "Airplane 2: The Sequel". :roll: Not to mention the shelved direct to video sequel "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 2" from the late 1990s.

Here's hoping this version, as well, never sees the light of day...let alone "Variety" or "The Hollywood Reporter".

Post subject: Re: "Snow and the seven"
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:22 am 
Platinum Edition

This has been in development at Disney as early as 2004. In 2007, they named a director (Francis Lawrence), with Natalie Portman's name being thrown around as Snow (though I don't know if she's still attached to the project).

As for the whole "Disney's sullying their historic film with this!", I won't say a word beyond one little paragraph:

Regardless of their quality, remakes and sequels are just another way of filmmaking for Disney and other studios. They invest money and time into these projects for a reason, and there has to be a lot of things working against it (beyond a few hundred fans' complaint of "Don't tarnish the original with this remake!") for any studio to cancel a project. And with Snow and the Seven finally (?) getting out of development hell and entering pre-production, it's more likely that the film will be made. As singerguy04 said, this is likely not a remake, but it's own film that takes the general basis/idea of the Snow White fairy tale and gives it its own twist. So we won't see a "meet cute" between a live-action girl with a shrilly voice and a lipstick-wearing guy at a well, we won't see the girl telling seven men to wash their hands, and we won't see a bitchy queen say "Thirsty? Have a drink!" to a skeleton.

albert

WIST #57:
Atlantica: Everyone is so passionate which is wonderful, but woe betide anyone who has a differing opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 pm 
Special Edition

Just my two cents, but I think this is the stupidest thing ever. :roll:

Post subject: Re: "Snow and the seven"
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:48 pm 
Limited Edition

jimdotbeep wrote:
It's about a girl raised by seven munks who it being trained to fight the forces of evil.

The public already has that film. It's......The Next Karate Kid. I don't know how many monks were in that movie but there seemed to be more than seven but their temple might have trick mirrors installed. :P

(I'm only making fun. And anyway, Mr. Miyagi pretty much trained the girl himself.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

FROM http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 17902.html:

Quote:
As such, it shouldn't be terribly unexpected that the House of Mouse would be coming out with its own retelling of the princess and dwarves story; what they're doing with it, however, may be a bit of a surprise.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio is moving forward with its far east, warrior-focused version of the tale; now called "The Order of the Seven," it's been in development for years, and, so says THR, will actually minimize the aspects associated with the Grimm legend. It will be trading those trappings for an ancient action storyline that will feature a band of warriors from around the world that, once downtrodden, are galvanized by meeting an English woman in China.

As recently as February, the film was in development under the title, "Snow and the Seven," and had what seems to be a similar storyline to what we see today: an Englishwoman goes to Hong Kong for her father's funeral and realizes that her evil stepmother was plotting her murder, at which point she turns to the warriors for protection. Natalie Portman was rumored to be semi-attached to that project, but whether that's still the case remains to be seen.

Whoever gets the lead, to the extent that the film is still loosely based on the fairytale, will have stiff competition to be the definitive live action face of the beloved princess. Kristen Stewart is starring as a warrior-in-training princess alongside Chris Hemsworth and Evil Queen Charlize Theron in "Snow White and the Huntsman," while Lily Collins will play a more traditional Snow White with Julia Roberts as Evil Queen and Armie Hammer as the dashing Prince.

Disney, why are you butchering one of your most beloved classics like this?! :cry: It's bad enough you screwed up with Alice in Wonderland, now you're ruining THIS?!

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am 
Limited Edition

Does Disney need a real remake of our beloved animated feature, let alone the first animated feature from Disney and America in general? Seriously?!