Coco

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar's Coco

Post by Disney Duster »

Kyle wrote:I haven't even seen star wars (going to try to remedy that this week). And that is still playing. They released close enough to each other I figured if one was out so would the other.
Oh. I haven't seen the new Star Wars either. I just thought you were a huge Pixar fan, especially with recreating Andy's room and the 3rd Toy Story logo as your avatar. Didn't you make that, too?
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

Kyle wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Kyle, my man, how did you not go out to see what is one of Pixar's best movies?!
I haven't even seen star wars (going to try to remedy that this week). And that is still playing. They released close enough to each other I figured if one was out so would the other.
dont worry, i missed it as well. got busy with work and my brothers kids coming to stay. by the time i had a couple hours spare, the only screening of the day was at 10am, when i was at work. gutted to miss it, was looking forward to seeing it.
it is still showing in the next town, but im not driving an hour to see it.
big kid at heart
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Good news (for me) a small handful of showings popped up at my theater next week, so I'll be doing everything I can to make it to one.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh goody!!!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Why did I read that in an extremely sarcastic tone?

I guess I blame Scar.

DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

I feel sorry for the other nominees, they never had a chance :facepalm:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sometimes I write things I worry will be taken sarcastically. I should have probably said "Oh, that's really good!", but I wanted something that expressed my excitment for you more.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Congrats to Coco!
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I knew Coco was going to win Best Animated Feature, but I didn't expect it would sweep that way. It won in every category it was nominated in and is now the movie with most awards at the Annies.

I'm glad Anthony Gonzalez won Best Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production. He did a good job as Miguel. If I remember it correctly, Auli'i Cravalho also won the same award last year for playing Moana.

By the way, Coco just surpassed $700 million worldwide, being only the 7th Pixar movie to do so. And it hasn't opened in Japan yet.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Finally got to see it.

Its was pretty good.
I don't remember names at all, but its funny, I initially suspected that one guy to be his father, I should have stuck with that because I would have turned out to be right, but I fell right into their trap and thought the main singer guy was him instead. I'm kinda surprised they went as dark as they did with the poisoning. Is it weird I kinda wanted to see him come to terms with his father being a murderer? I guess these movies always have to have be to tied up in a nice bow though so its not surprising they turned it around.

So, what do you guys think in hindsight about them claiming this wasn't a musical? I kinda see where they were coming from.
Last edited by Kyle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't think I ever guessed what you did until like way later in the film. I forget when. Interesting you guessed it so soon. He seemed like he would turn out to be a bad guy at first to me.

This was not a musical in the correct sense of the word.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I guessed it quite early on because they were spending way too much time with Hector for him to just be a delivery boy/messenger. There were some hints throughout the movie too like when they reference that he has a musical past. He was too likable at that point for me to not assume that he wasn't the father. And I'm glad they went with that twist. I don't always like predictability, but I really wanted Hector to be his father when I was watching it, and I think most people didn't find it predictable.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a musical either. It's success makes me wonder if Pixar will ever consider a full musical now though.
ImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Yeah....I can see why this was cut out :lol: :lol: :lol: The tone doesn't fit in the movie for one thing.

https://twitter.com/usatodaylife/status ... 9328560128
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wish Coco was a traditional musical. Do you think Pixar will ever do one?
But there used to be a bunch more songs when Coco was envisioned as a wall-to-wall musical.
Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 310534002/

I believe by now Pixar has broken all of their "secret rules".
• No songs [sung by characters]
• No “I want” moment
• No happy village
• No love story
• No villain
Source: https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/andr ... c6d7ae7cb7
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Yeah....I can see why this was cut out :lol: :lol: :lol: The tone doesn't fit in the movie for one thing.

https://twitter.com/usatodaylife/status ... 9328560128
Well, if the film had been a full-blown musical I think it wouldn't have been a bad opening, but I prefer the one the movie has. By the way, the song was written by the Lopezes.
Sotiris wrote:I believe by now Pixar has broken all of their "secret rules".
• No songs [sung by characters]
• No “I want” moment
• No happy village
• No love story
• No villain
Source: https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/andr ... c6d7ae7cb7
They broke their 5th rule quite early! What would be their happy village song?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yeah, Pixar has pretty much always had villains. I'd say that Sid fits really well as a villain, but if not Sid, then at least Hopper. Not to mention Zurg, even if he wasn't the big bad ever.

Even the love story is debatable. True, none of their films have ever centered on a love story (maybe that would have been different with Newt), but they've had romances in their films since A Bug's Life.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:By the way, the song was written by the Lopezes.
Makes sense since they were hired to write Coco as a musical before Unkrich changed his mind.
D82 wrote:What would be their happy village song?
Radiator Springs was a 'happy village' in Cars with "Our Town" and "Sh-Boom" were the songs.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Even the love story is debatable. True, none of their films have ever centered on a love story (maybe that would have been different with Newt), but they've had romances in their films since A Bug's Life.
Wall-E centered on a love story and Toy Story 4 will too. Pixar had romance in their very first feature with Woody and Bo Peep. And of course Sid was a villain. But even if you argued Sid was an antagonist instead of a villain, Pixar had a clear-cut archetypal villain in their second film with Hopper. This is typical of Pixar and their superiority complex. They thought they were so original and creative by making non-musical, road trip/buddy movies when in reality those were extremely common in live-action and even had been done in animation before too with films like The Rescuers.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Even the love story is debatable. True, none of their films have ever centered on a love story (maybe that would have been different with Newt), but they've had romances in their films since A Bug's Life.
Wall-E centered on a love story and Toy Story 4 will too. Pixar had romance in their movies in their very first feature with Woody and Bo Peep. And of course Sid was a villain. This is typical of Pixar and their superiority complex. They thought they were so original and creative by making non-musical, road trip-buddy movies which were extremely common in live-action and had been done in animation before too with films like The Rescuers.
Oh of course. I'm not sure how I forgot about WALL-E especially when I just mentioned it being a love story in another post. And yes, the Woody and Bo Peep relationship, although I didn't think their relationship was really that important enough to be considered a romance, which is why Pixar may have claimed that. Flik and Atta's relationship takes more precedence.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's a clip from another deleted scene: http://www.etonline.com/coco-almost-inc ... d=47757539

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:What would be their happy village song?
Radiator Springs was a 'happy village' in Cars with "Our Town" and "Sh-Boom" as the songs.
Ah, OK. I thought they were referring to songs in which all the characters sing like "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast or "Where You Are" from Moana.

Sotiris wrote:This is typical of Pixar and their superiority complex. They thought they were so original and creative by making non-musical, road trip-buddy movies which were extremely common in live-action and had been done in animation before too with films like The Rescuers.
I agree with you that Pixar wasn't as innovative as they think. What they brought was something that was fresh at the time, because it was the opposite of what Disney and other studios were doing (plus it was 3D animation), but it wasn't something completely new, not even for animation, as you said. By the way, apart from those secret rules and the animation technique, another important thing that differentiated their films to Disney's was that, unlike most Disney movies, Pixar's were all set in present time at first. Also that, at least until The Incredibles, they didn't have human protagonists (But we know that that was because of the limitations of computer animation at the time and not due to other reasons).

However, to Pixar's credit, I think it was an intelligent idea to create a formula that was the counterpoint to Disney's. That and the quality of the films themselves was the key to their success. And the formula has worked very well for them until now. But, as good as, for example, Coco is, some elements of the formula are starting to feel a bit tired. So, I think now it would be a good time for them to come up with new rules that would make their films feel fresh again. I would propose the following 5 new rules :P :

- No buddy movies
- No road trips
- No surprise villains
- More female leads (to be fair, they've already started to improve in that regard)
- Not to be afraid of incorporating musicals or trying new animation styles
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I didn't get a sense of anything being tired in coco. It was the anti good dinosaur in that regard. That one just recycled a bunch of tropes. I'm sure there was some of that in coco but it didnt scream it like good dinosaur did.