DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

Hello all---

My family made the trip to Orlando during Thanksgiving, and I was pleased to see the Disney Art on Demand kiosk in the Art of Disney store. I really can't afford any of the "fine art"-type items offered in the Art of Disney stores at the parks and Downtown Disney, so the Art on Demand kiosk presents a more affordable alternative.

I ordered prints of a couple of the Mary Blair “It’s a Small World” concept art pieces. They offered several Blair pieces---I’d have ordered them all if my budget had allowed! They shipped 9 days after I placed the order at the park. The prints aren’t anything fancy---really, they appear to be color laser prints on decent, but not great, paper. Interestingly enough, I ordered a 16x20 and an 11x17, but they both came on huge, untrimmed sheets of rolled paper! But again, I didn’t have to pay an arm and a leg for them, either. I am happy with the whole deal.

…I just wish I’d ordered MORE of them…!

After I got home, I stumbled across online images of the Disneyland attraction posters from the park’s early days. I remember reading that the posters had inspired the folks at Pixar and current Disney/Pixar artists like Eric Tan, whose series of WALL*E posters were clearly inspired by the old attraction art. I remembered seeing a Haunted Mansion poster in the Art of Disney store, so I’m sure they offered other attraction posters, I missed them.

When I placed the order in the store, I asked if they accepted online or telephone orders, and the cast member replied that I could call to place a follow-up order. Apparently, that’s not the case! I emailed Disney Art on Demand [I had their email address, because they had sent me a shipping confirmation] to ask if they planned to offer online sales, and I received the following reply: “Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, Disney does not currently offer an alternative way to place orders without being at the park. However, Disney is working on possibly launching a website of some sort for the product so please feel free to check in progress!”

So, aside from eBay, can anyone recommend a store that sells the attraction posters? I won’t be going back to the parks anytime soon, and I don’t live near any of them [I’m in Texas].

The official Studio Art Collection website doesn’t appear to have any of the attraction posters: http://www.disneystudioart.com/.

It looks like MouseShoppe has a few miniature posters for sale, but curiously, they appear to come pre-matted. And, at $50 each, they’re not cheap…but they’re not hugely expensive, either. I emailed them some questions, but didn’t get a reply. Has anyone ordered one of these posters from them?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards,
matt