Disney Princesses Got a Makeover

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hmm ... The baby ones are pretty freaky .... not so keen.

I don't know why they can't put them in normal baby clothes though; not mini versions of what they normally wear ?!

And how pasted in does Pocahontas look ? Poor thing, she sticks out like a sore thumb.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Sicoe6256 wrote:
Toky wrote:Jugh, am I the only one who really hates these designs, it's so much sparkle, it hurts my eyes(I'm gonna put on sunglasses)...bleeegh, they really f*cked up Cinderella with her hairdo :S, what was wrong with the old one?
I thought it made her look old :lol:
I would say it made her look mature, and classy. :)
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I´m so tired of Pocahontas pose.

You can´t do anything to her outfit. That´s for sure.

But come on... give her some other stance and let that hair move and not use superglue on it.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

I like the design for Cinderella, but she is far more changed than any of the other girls, which really makes her stick out. They should tone hers down a bit, or give the other girls more of a makeover.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Is Disney racist? The four princesses of color are very often grouped together and placed in the background. Here're some examples:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

That's a very interesting observation, Sotiris. Yeah, they probably are. One could also argue that Disney does placement based on popularity, although I would think if that was the case Tiana would take the place of Aurora.

That doesn't make sense with the pencil case either. The pencil case really just looks weird aesthetically. We have 5 extremely white princesses (in the picture they look much paler than any of them are in the movies. Whitewashing.) And then on the other side we have all different ethnicities.. and then another extremely white princess just sticking out like a sore thumb. The 5 white princesses on one side just look really creepy.

I really like ariel's design, though.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Lol the 4 "ethnic" princesses and Snow White are constantly thrown in the background. Give them some time to shine Disney! Also why is Pocahontas not smiling. We have all the others smiling and cheery and here is Poca in the same pose she has been in since 1995 looking completely bored. It's funny seeing Snow and Poca next to eah other, Snow is all cutesy and "let's get some candy" and Poca looks like she is auditioning for Squanto's Next Top Model. They need to spice her up with the colors of the wind. Give her a headband or throw some feathers in her hair or something.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

She actually does.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's not racist. There's a reason Snow White's also grouped with all the ethnic princesses. All of them are the least popular princesses.

However, it means that many little girls are in a way racist because a) they're probably mostly white and pick the girls that look most like them regardless of personality and what they do, and b) maybe even black little girls think the european princesses are more "pretty" and true to the archetypical fairy tale princess things they are into, which would be sadly horrible in many ways.

I don't think we can fault children for being children when it comes to pciking things that look most like them, but aside from that it's pretty terrible. But Disney sure isn't helping either, gotta admit.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’m always most surprised that Aurora seems to be so popular, as indicated by her presence near the front more often than not. If there’s ever been a character so void of any personality whatsoever, there’s Aurora. The idea that she could be popular is somehow horrifying to me, as if girls are already setting up their projectory in life to be a mannequin slash trophy wife.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I’m always most surprised that Aurora seems to be so popular, as indicated by her presence near the front more often than not. If there’s ever been a character so void of any personality whatsoever, there’s Aurora. The idea that she could be popular is somehow horrifying to me, as if girls are already setting up their projectory in life to be a mannequin slash trophy wife.
She's pretty, has great hair and wears pink. That is why she is so popular.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Disney Duster wrote:Disney's not racist. There's a reason Snow White's also grouped with all the ethnic princesses. All of them are the least popular princesses.

However, it means that many little girls are in a way racist because a) they're probably mostly white and pick the girls that look most like them regardless of personality and what they do, and b) maybe even black little girls think the european princesses are more "pretty" and true to the archetypical fairy tale princess things they are into, which would be sadly horrible in many ways.

I don't think we can fault children for being children when it comes to pciking things that look most like them, but aside from that it's pretty terrible. But Disney sure isn't helping either, gotta admit.
I was going to bring this up too. No, we can't fault children. But they are still racist. But they don't make up these ideas on their own. Kids get eurocentric beauty standars from their parents, from beauty magazines, from all the racist things that we see in our daily life. Ever see those horrible beauty magazines where they whitewash black woman to make them look "prettier"? Yeah. Kids are internalized with this racism so they have it in them too, and they don't even realize it until they are older and step back to look at why they see certain things as pretty and whatnot.

And yeah, like you said, Disney is contributing to that by playing into the bombardment of racist images that influences kids every day.

I don't think kids pick the princesses that look most like them. If that was the case why do black girls happen to also choose the white princesses as there favorites? Because of eurocentric beauty standards, right. But if those weren't there and reinforced on a daily basis, I think kids would judge them not based on how their skin (or ethnicity or whatever) compares to their own, but on whatever they find they like in the princess. Because the fact that a black girl would favor a white princess shows that they don't really care if they look like their favorite princess, they just care if their favorite princess fits their definition of pretty. And their definition of pretty just happens to be eurocentric and racist. Hence all the "ethnic" princesses peeking out from the back row.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Jay wrote: She's pretty, has great hair and wears pink. That is why she is so popular.
Hence the mannequin comparison. She is entirely superficial.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Jay wrote: She's pretty, has great hair and wears pink. That is why she is so popular.
Hence the mannequin comparison. She is entirely superficial.
One thing I find interesting is that most of the people I know who like Aurora don't like Cinderella. They say they find Cinderella overrated, annoying and they are sick of seeing her everywhere and 9 out of 10 times when I ask who their favorite is they say Aurora. It could be that people latch onto her because they feel Cindy is over pimped so they pick the "other blonde" as their favorite to kind of go against what they feel is the over exposure of Cinderella if that makes any sense lol. People sometimes like to go for the underdog so to speak and people could feel Auoura is an underdog compared to Cinderella. Of course we all know the real underdogs are Mulan and Pocahontas.

And generally they say they like her because of her singing and they think she is the most beautiful and "princessy" looking of them all.
AlasmineLover:)

Post by AlasmineLover:) »

I personally hate what they have done to Jasmine. I think her sparkly, preppy new look goes against everything she stood for in the movie. It makes her look like a man pleaser when she's supposed to be independent and not preppy but sassy.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Jay wrote:One thing I find interesting is that most of the people I know who like Aurora don't like Cinderella. They say they find Cinderella overrated, annoying and they are sick of seeing her everywhere and 9 out of 10 times when I ask who their favorite is they say Aurora. It could be that people latch onto her because they feel Cindy is over pimped so they pick the "other blonde" as their favorite to kind of go against what they feel is the over exposure of Cinderella if that makes any sense lol. People sometimes like to go for the underdog so to speak and people could feel Auoura is an underdog compared to Cinderella. Of course we all know the real underdogs are Mulan and Pocahontas.

And generally they say they like her because of her singing and they think she is the most beautiful and "princessy" looking of them all.
What you're saying makes sense, and is probably true for a lot of people.

Well, I can tell you that Aurora is my favorite princess because Sleeping Beauty is my favorite movie. The art, the feel of the kingdom, and I really like the animation, especially that of Aurora. It feels real to me, even though she obviously doesn't have the most personality, my imagination kind of feels in that part because of the previously mentioned things.

I also don't like Cinderella. She is probably one of my least favorite princess just because I just don't like the movie. It's boring to me, and I've always hated gus and jacques and oh my god I hate lucifer. I feel like they are silly time-fillers.. i don't know. I guess I base my love of the princesses pretty much on the movies they are in, and I just don't really get Cinderella. I really really wish I did, but I just don't, so it's hard for me to like her as a character too.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Alphapanchito wrote:Ever see those horrible beauty magazines where they whitewash black woman to make them look "prettier"? Yeah.
No I don't think I have! That's terrible. I think little girls do pick princesses that look like them but the "racist standards" of pretty like you said are there too, along with what I said, that people think the white princesses fit the sparkly fairy tale thing more.
Jay wrote:One thing I find interesting is that most of the people I know who like Aurora don't like Cinderella. They say they find Cinderella overrated, annoying and they are sick of seeing her everywhere and 9 out of 10 times when I ask who their favorite is they say Aurora. It could be that people latch onto her because they feel Cindy is over pimped so they pick the "other blonde" as their favorite to kind of go against what they feel is the over exposure of Cinderella if that makes any sense lol. People sometimes like to go for the underdog so to speak and people could feel Auoura is an underdog compared to Cinderella.
I know a girl who did that, maybe even two, actually! Part of it may be they think Cinderella is too happy and perky singing with those birds, while Aurora sings low and classical and is a little different, she seems more mature (though personality-wise she isn't).
Alphapanchito wrote:I also don't like Cinderella. She is probably one of my least favorite princess just because I just don't like the movie. It's boring to me, and I've always hated gus and jacques and oh my god I hate lucifer. I feel like they are silly time-fillers.. i don't know. I guess I base my love of the princesses pretty much on the movies they are in, and I just don't really get Cinderella. I really really wish I did, but I just don't, so it's hard for me to like her as a character too.
Well then. That's sad. Oh well. If you can't find anything about Cinderella too like, it is ok with me, but I think she's one of the best parts of the film along with Lucifer and yes, (most of the time) Jaq and Gus. But not when they are just time-filling like you said.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Disney Duster wrote:
Alphapanchito wrote:Ever see those horrible beauty magazines where they whitewash black woman to make them look "prettier"? Yeah.
No I don't think I have! That's terrible. I think little girls do pick princesses that look like them but the "racist standards" of pretty like you said are there too, along with what I said, that people think the white princesses fit the sparkly fairy tale thing more.
Fair enough. But yeah, if you just look up whitewashing of models or whatever, you will see a bunch of examples. It's pretty startling, actually. One of the worst examples i've seen in person was when I got Elle magazine, and saw Gabourey Sidibe obviously photoshopped on the front cover.

Can you even imagine somebody as dark as her on the front cover? I can't because I've never seen it before. So stuff like this definitely plays a part, I think, and again, disney is contributing to it.

Disney Duster wrote:Well then. That's sad. Oh well. If you can't find anything about Cinderella too like, it is ok with me, but I think she's one of the best parts of the film along with Lucifer and yes, (most of the time) Jaq and Gus. But not when they are just time-filling like you said.
Yeah, I mean i'm going to buy the blu ray and try to watch it again, because I haven't seen it in a loong time. So maybe I'll have a different opinion of it this time around. I'll let you know.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Disney Duster wrote:Disney's not racist. There's a reason Snow White's also grouped with all the ethnic princesses. All of them are the least popular princesses.
This ^

Tiana's movie didn't do so well so most people don't know her character. Snow White is usually picked on to be a naive damsel in distress and a negative role model for kiddies. Princess Jasmine is quite bossy, Pocahontas's movie usually gets overlooked and I have no idea why Mulan is unpoplaur maybe because she doesn't wear flashy dresses and doesn't really look like a usual Princess. Which is tragic because Mulan is great !

Meanwhile Ariel has tons of fans young and old. Cinderella's movie is quite poplaur so many young girls get to know and love Cindy, Tangled is a poplaur movie so girls are going to know and love Rap too. And Belle is in the same seat as Ariel. However I don't know why Aurora gets so much attention. I thought that she was hated for not doing much, but maybe like people have said she looks like a pretty Princess which young girls would like.

Also maybe in Jasmine's case Aladdin could possibly been see and viewed as a "Guy's " movie, so many young girls these days don't watch it as much as Cinderella or Little Mermaid ? So she gets ignored ?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Alphapanchito wrote: Fair enough. But yeah, if you just look up whitewashing of models or whatever, you will see a bunch of examples. It's pretty startling, actually. One of the worst examples i've seen in person was when I got Elle magazine, and saw Gabourey Sidibe obviously photoshopped on the front cover.

Can you even imagine somebody as dark as her on the front cover? I can't because I've never seen it before. So stuff like this definitely plays a part, I think, and again, disney is contributing to it.

Google is your friend.

http://www.shadders.net/wp-content/uplo ... 1896_n.jpg

#1 Most of so called "whitewashing" blacks as you called them especially ones like Alicia Keys and such are actually half black and have white linage(though the image you posted isn't but that i'll get to in point #2) in them too hence why their skin isn't as dark as ones like image i post. Also many blacks in America(especially up in north east coast) are slowly getting lighter skin color through generations and this is because they are now living in a northern temperate environment where as if they live in Africa their skin would of remain much much darker.

#2 Most other stuff you complained about involved just lighting and photoshop and this is done one ALL models. White, blacks hispanic etc. All get this. There is no denying that racism exist. but companies would be a fool if they try to, blatant or not, implicate any hint of such. it would hurt their business especially one such like Disney.

If I have to explain the explanation for the disney princess thing. In addition to what Mike said, you have to realize that majority of the demography who are in to this stuff are 4-7 year old white girls. And because they make up the majority of the demography, as well as the fact that the white girls are more than likely want to be with someone similar to them(a white princess), disney marketer find it much more sense and profitable to expose and promote the white princesses up front. It's all marketing business and what they find make them most money.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif