Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recipe Swapping
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Hello everybody!

I'm a really keen cook, and I was wondering if there was interest enough on here to start up a recipe swapping thread? Like, your speciality dishes, or recipes that you've found that look delicious ?

Would obviously be open to baking recipes too :up:

Post subject: Re: Recipe Swapping
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:20 pm 
Special Edition

I'm always happy to swap a few baking recipes. I have loads - cupcakes in pretty much every flavour.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yay, a food thread! My favorite recipe to make is peanut butter chicken. You can make it a couple of different ways, but each way has chicken, peanut butter, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. You can add either evaporated milk or coconut milk, and either honey or lime juice. You can really play around with it, adding more sweet or more "tropical" flavors. I don't really measure, I just keep on tasting my sauce as I cook it. I generally bake the chicken first, cook some rice, and put the rice, then chicken, then sauce on the plate. It's so yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Ooooo ok, now that sounds delicious Amy ! If only I hadn't turned vegetarian this year! :(

I've never been a massive meat eater, always preferred fish. But I love my animals, and I watched a documentary on the cruelty of animals and food prep … and got so upset Im all veggie now. I wonder if you could do the same recipe but adapted for Quorn maybe?

Anyway, this is my favourite cake of all time: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-cloud-cake-170

Its always a crowd pleaser, people love it ! And ever so simple to make.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:48 pm 
Collector's Edition

Ooo a recipe thread!!!! I started cooking 4 years ago, when I went vegetarian. Best decision I ever made. It's what taught me how to cook. I'm still learning new things about cooking all the time, so a place to swap ideas would be wonderful. :D

While I'm pretty quick at cooking, I can't seem to bake anything right. I always end up botching it somehow.

Atlantica, you mentioned Quorn. I haven't tried it yet. Is it good?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:13 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Linden wrote:
Atlantica, you mentioned Quorn. I haven't tried it yet. Is it good?

Oh my gosh yes, it's wonderful ! I've aways used it as my main source of protein really, apart from occasional chicken or bacon. Now I've entirely swapped over; there is a Quorn dish to replace practically any meat one, which is wonderful. And it doenst have the icky - 'this is trying to be meat but isn't' taste that some veggie products can have.

Personal favourites are the mince bags (use perfectly in chilli / pasta etc), the sausages (which I cook up in the oven, then eat with lentils cooked in vegetable stock, with a little bit of fried halloumi).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:53 am 
Platinum Edition

Atlantica, I'm sure the sauce would be good over couscous, rice, quinoa, etc. Oh, yes, or Quorn- do they make "grilled" Quorn?

I've had "stomach" problems for years, and discovered that I need to eat gluten-free (turns out it's my intestine); I use substitute ingredients (I can't use regular flour, for example)(but that Nigella cake recipe has no flour...?!), and sometimes baking things with substitutes turns them out differently. Buttermilk biscuits can come out more like pancakes, or cookies can have a different texture, but I'm used to expecting the unexpected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 am 
Special Edition

I like Quorn food. Not that I'm a vegetarian. I couldn't give up bacon or KFC for that matter. I'm not that big a meat eater as it is - I don't eat anything other than Chicken, Bacon and fish.

Quorn is nice - It's a good meat substitute. As you said Atlantica, it has something to replace everything. I prefer Quorn mince to normal mince. The texture is usually pretty close too.

It's a form of fungi, so I believe. I happen to love mushrooms.

Have you given up fish Atlantica?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I will try yours Amy for sure, and they do indeed do grilled Quorn!

No, I haven't given up fish, as I just can't do it. I love any sort of fish. I guess you could say I'm a hypocrite as I don't eat meat due to the fact I hate the whole killing animals / some are killed hideously thing, yet I eat fish …. I guess honestly it's because I don't have any affinity with fish I suppose. And yes, reading that back that sounds a crazy sentence, but I hope you get what I mean.

And Amy, please do try that cake, its just delicious, and so darn easy! If you do plan on doing it, let me know !