Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

I was SO disappointed that Disney didn't include the If I Never Knew You sequence in this release... When I rediscovered this movie again on DVD after many years that new sequence gave me a whole new appreciation of the movie - THAT sequence is so amazing. To me those few minutes say more than the whole movie - I can't believe they didn't include it... They are SO lazy...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

yes, because laziness is obviously the only way to describe neglecting to include an already finished cut of the film.

well, they could've used seamless branching, I guess.
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

ajmrowland wrote:As for the fact that IINKY is no longer in the movie, I'd go so far as to download an edit or recut the Blu-ray version myself to add it back in. And since I have an HD PVR and Powerdirector10, I can do that easily.
Or you could use the pop-up menu while you watch the movie to go to the Bonus Features menu and play the song.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I suppose, but that feels like too much effort sometimes to pull out of the movie for.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Actually, no, picture quality is not the priority. I'm actually very satisfied with DVDs in that regard.
I only buy blu rays when the special features are worth it (Alice in Wonderland! Princess and the frog!)

My only issue w the 10th anniversary dvd of Pocahontas was the out of synch sound....
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Best Buy is having a "Buy 1, Get $10 off the Other" deal for all the Disney titles getting released this week, if you're still wondering about there being a discount on these releases.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This is a proven fact now; Disney releases are categorically getting appalling. Almost wonder why they are even bothering to release them at all on Blu? That almost seems like too much effort in itself for Disney.
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Amazon.com is offering this deal.
Order Disney Titles to Save $10
Save $10 when you order two of the eligible titles below. This offer is valid through September 30, 2012. Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site. Additional restrictions apply; see terms and conditions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... B0084IHVQG
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

From Blu-Ray.com, The Making of Pocahontas:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9336
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:This is a proven fact now; Disney releases are categorically getting appalling. Almost wonder why they are even bothering to release them at all on Blu? That almost seems like too much effort in itself for Disney.
To put HD versions of their catalog out there on physical media. That's their only goal anymore.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I still think it is pathetic. Other companies can manage it, why can't Disney be bothered ?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Barbossa wrote:From Blu-Ray.com, The Making of Pocahontas:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9336
Thankyou so much for sharing! I will enjoy reading that article! :)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I still think it is pathetic. Other companies can manage it, why can't Disney be bothered ?
because their movies sell and that's all they want. That's not to say viacom's movies dont sell, but they actually care about value and are not the bisggest corporation in the world.

I believe that's actually Disney.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Just read the review on here of the Pocahontas Blu Ray... pfft... why bother? Sticking to the dvd...
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

271286 wrote:I was SO disappointed that Disney didn't include the If I Never Knew You sequence in this release... When I rediscovered this movie again on DVD after many years that new sequence gave me a whole new appreciation of the movie - THAT sequence is so amazing. To me those few minutes say more than the whole movie - I can't believe they didn't include it... They are SO lazy...
That sucks ! That song really helped glued the movie together and plus it was a new bonus.

It sounds like if you already have the DVD version keep it and don't bother buying the Blu. :headshake:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

and the fact that the intro is unskippable makes it next to impossible to try and put it in the context of the movie.

And to top it all off, the brief reprisal at the end is MIA.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, I'm finally watching the first film as I type this and so far, it's leaving me pretty nostalgic. The nostalgia started kicking in from the loading menu with the symbols. They (the symbols from the loading screen) brought me back to the days of playing the interactive storybook CD-rom. But hey, anytime I hear 'Just Around the Riverbend', I always feel nostalgic. :P

The picture quality looks great so far, btw. :)
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Okay, I'm finally watching the first film as I type this and so far, it's leaving me pretty nostalgic. The nostalgia started kicking in from the loading menu with the symbols. They (the symbols from the loading screen) brought me back to the days of playing the interactive storybook CD-rom. But hey, anytime I hear 'Just Around the Riverbend', I always feel nostalgic. :P

Was that CD the one where you had to find hidden animals, practice a bow etc?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Lnds500 wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:Okay, I'm finally watching the first film as I type this and so far, it's leaving me pretty nostalgic. The nostalgia started kicking in from the loading menu with the symbols. They (the symbols from the loading screen) brought me back to the days of playing the interactive storybook CD-rom. But hey, anytime I hear 'Just Around the Riverbend', I always feel nostalgic. :P

Was that CD the one where you had to find hidden animals, practice a bow etc?
Why, yes. Yes, it is. ;)

By the way, it feels REALLY weird, watching the movie without 'If I Never Knew You' not in there. Living with it is easy. But forgiving it will be difficult.
miklc
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miklc »

Anyone from the UK got their hands on a copy on the BluRay? I cannot wait to see this in HD but I think I am going to wait for Disney's next BOGOF offer which should be pretty soon hopefully along with Tarzan and The Aristocats, Disney is churning classics out on Blu-Ray left right and centre it's hard to keep up with them! Whilst I would rather have them now if I can hold out a little while longer and essentially get a good deal on them I would prefer to do it that way, that is granted they're not excluded from the next BOGOF offer :wink:

I will say that I absolutely LOVE the cover art they've chosen for the UK edition, it's simple yet very classy. I am SO relived that the UK aren't getting it bundled with it's far inferior sequel, I have no need to see the sequel in HD! Rewatched my 10th Anniversary DVD the other day upscaled in my BluRay player and it looked wonderful, I can only imagine how beautiful it will be on BD :D
I love The Little Mermaid and Ariel