Your Pet Peeves

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Your Pet Peeves

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

What are your 'pet peeves'?

Mine include (although mine aren't all strictly personal and may irritate others a great deal more than they irritate me): 3-D (and people who like it); people talking in cinemas; people finding Disney and/or Pixar childish; Feminism; the West Baptist Church; Right-Wingers; Homophobes; Racists; and Sexists. :x

I'll probably think of more later.

What about you?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

We already have a pet peeves thread, Louis:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19265

Though, I don't blame you if you didn't search for it. It took me awhile to find it. If a mod could possible merge this, it would be awesome!
Last edited by TheSequelOfDisney on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Re: Your Pet Peeves

Post by Goliath »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Feminism; [...] and Sexists.
I found this funny. You really don't see the irony? :D

Oh, and I don't think of most of those listed as 'pet peeves'. Talking in cinema: yes. An entire political women's movement: er... no. A bit too big to be a 'pet' peeve?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Sorry, David, I didn't know there was already a thread like this. :(
Goliath wrote:
Dr Frankenollie wrote:Feminism; [...] and Sexists.
I found this funny. You really don't see the irony? :D
I don't like ideologies spouted from sexism in places like Iran where women are little more than slaves to men; however, feminists want men to be submissive little slaves to them instead.
Goliath wrote:Oh, and I don't think of most of those listed as 'pet peeves'. Talking in cinema: yes. An entire political women's movement: er... no. A bit too big to be a 'pet' peeve?
A 'pet peeve' is a particular and often continual annoyance caused by others that you can't stop. Feminism is that to me.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I don't like ideologies spouted from sexism in places like Iran where women are little more than slaves to men; however, feminists want men to be submissive little slaves to them instead.
I find that to be a short-sighted way to dismiss an entire political and ideological movement. I think your portrayal of feminism is a caricature, and an ugly one at that, that has been invented by men who couldn't stand it that their 'natural' dominance in a male-centred society was suddenly being challenged. The only way men could really handle this, was to ridicule and belittle feminists. Feminism, in essence, is about challenging, criticising and changing the dominant male power structure that has ruled all of society ever since the beginning of time. Not an easy task. For this, they have my ever-lasting respect.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Goliath wrote:I find that to be a short-sighted way to dismiss an entire political and ideological movement. I think your portrayal of feminism is a caricature, and an ugly one at that, that has been invented by men who couldn't stand it that their 'natural' dominance in a male-centred society was suddenly being challenged. The only way men could really handle this, was to ridicule and belittle feminists. Feminism, in essence, is about challenging, criticising and changing the dominant male power structure that has ruled all of society ever since the beginning of time. Not an easy task. For this, they have my ever-lasting respect.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I was about to reply but you saved me from the trouble. :P :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:
Goliath wrote:I find that to be a short-sighted way to dismiss an entire political and ideological movement. I think your portrayal of feminism is a caricature, and an ugly one at that, that has been invented by men who couldn't stand it that their 'natural' dominance in a male-centred society was suddenly being challenged. The only way men could really handle this, was to ridicule and belittle feminists. Feminism, in essence, is about challenging, criticising and changing the dominant male power structure that has ruled all of society ever since the beginning of time. Not an easy task. For this, they have my ever-lasting respect.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I was about to reply but you saved me from the trouble. :P :wink:
Same here. ;) True feminists want equal rights and opportunities between genders, they're not exactly out to turn men into submissive slaves. :p
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

People who chew with their mouths open. Just...the sound alone is enough to drive me crazy, never mind if I'm sitting directly across and have to see it. *shudders*
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Rude people who lack common courtesy. If you hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you. People like that.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

85% of the world would probably qualify as a pet peeve of mine.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney/Pixar haters in general: It's one thing if there are people who are genuinely uninterested in Disney/Pixar films, but the fact that some can be total dicks about it is inexcusable. As far as I know, the Disney fanbase is not out to rule the cartoon world as they're often accused of. What I've seen is more the other way around; the Disney/Pixar bashers think cartoons must be more like Looney Tunes/Spumco in order to be great. Looney Tunes I have nothing against, but Spumco can eat feces for all I care.

Right-Wing rhetoric: I could be here for hours fuming over the crap reported on MSNBC, and the general vitriol hurled against Obama. In short, the GOP has devolved from common everyday evil to Saturday morning cartoon evil.

Unnecessary sequels/spinoffs: Much of what Disney has done, and what Hollywood in general does I hate. Many movies that gain sequels, especially DTV sequels are completely unnecessary, and usually ruin the value of the original. When I talk about The Little Mermaid or Mean Girls, I do not want to hear a peep about the sequel characters, because they're NOT part of the original concept.

Long lines: Many places I go, the supermarket or the department store, there is always someone in line that holds everybody up, and only a few check-out aisles are open.

Heavy traffic: Slow drivers on the main roads and speed demons on the highway. The urban planner in me wants a higher investment in public transportation. Sadly, we're forced into a cars-only society, unless you live somewhere like NYC or Atlanta.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

People who:

- don't put books away at libraries or worse yet have their toddler put books away. :(

-think animation is for babies

-are racist or sexist

-bash religion

-ask you a question and don't listen to the answer

-don't respect animals (that's a big one for me lately)

-automatically assume I'm boy crazy :x
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

These are my pet peeves...

-Shock Jocks: They exist to spread hatred :evil:

-Gender neutral toys being sold in pink so that "girls can play with them": I have absolutely nothing against pink (I wear a bit of it in the Summer :wink: ), and I have no problem with Princess toys, but what can a pink and lavender globe teach girls, that a blue and green one, or a brown and cream one, can't? It doesn't help Feminism in the slightest to get it into Girls' heads that they can't learn from, or take an interest in anything if it isn't in pastel, as if their brains are different in that way :(

-Animal neligence: Having recently lost a not exceptionally old (nine years) dog to Lymphoma, it upsets me even more than it did before to see dogs wondering around by themselves. Those dogs could live to be seventeen, but their owners are willing to potentially throw it all away. Where is the duty of care? :cry:

-Reality T.V: Is this what Civilisation has come to? :shock:

-Remakes/sequels/adaptations: I'm not opposed to them per se, but it's terrible that brand power now trumps creativity :|

-Gross out comedies: I can't believe they are praised to the skies as these pieces of entertainment worth putting in cinemas. To say it's a Male thing would be an insulting generalisation to make about Men (and besides, there have been Bridesmaids and Bad Teacher :roll: ) I'm sick of Judd Aptow :angry:

-Musicals based on absolutely everything :headshake:

-Patronising political ads: I don't know about anywhere else, but here in Australia we are sold new schemes as if we are idiots. This is just one example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHXmV4E ... re=related
Are we supposed to believe that there are no strings attached just because alot of cute babies have been incuded? :x

Sorry to ramble. I can't stop once I've started :lol:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:.....3-D (and people who like it).......
*scoffs*well! i guess ill just shove my nonexistent rambling down someone else's throat. good day!

my peeves are

people who jump to conclusions and refuse to listen to what you're saying

celebrity obsessions

people who hate a movie or show and openly insults the people who like it(I had to report someone on a LOST amazon page and dont get me started with the lovely bones). who gives a fuck about plotholes?

people like marky who know nothing about the things the obsess over. he once made avery scathing sarcastic comment that took it too far.

ill post more soon
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

enigmawing wrote: they're not exactly out to turn men into submissive slaves. :p
I know cause they know men deep down enjoy that shit. It's kinky. LOL
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Jay wrote:Rude people who lack common courtesy. If you hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you. People like that.
Men who don't stand up to offer a woman their seat in the bus/train/subway etc.

Not standing up and offering your seat to elderly people.

People who stanhd still on the left side of the escalator. That's the space where travellers who are in a hurry (or who simply don't feel comfortable standing still like stuffed animals for over 20 seconds) are supposed to pass. The Dutch are notorious for not knowing escalator etiquettes.

In Dutch: not saying "u" to an elderly person, but immediately start saying "jij".

People who can't take little subtle non-verbal hints.

Old people who ask if they can go ahead of you in line at the register "because they only have one item". Hey, grandma, do you have places to go? Work maybe? No? Then wait for your turn. There's plenty of time left for you to sit in your chair and gaze out of the window. Meanwhile, let me get to work to earn your Social Security, k?

At the train station: people who stand right under a sign saying 'this is the train to Amsterdam' asking me: "excuse me, is this the train to Amsterdam?" Then I say: "no ma'am, this is the train to Frankfurt. You'll have to take the train on the other side of the platform".

Semaj wrote:Right-Wing rhetoric: I could be here for hours fuming over the crap reported on MSNBC, and the general vitriol hurled against Obama.
Funny, since Obama is a right-winger and MSNBC hosts right-wing nuts (like Joe Scarborough, Pat Robertson and Chris "I pretend to be a liberal because it's good for my ratings" Matthews). ;)
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Disney Geek wrote:-Reality T.V: Is this what Civilisation has come to? :shock:
Agreed; reality T.V. is one of the foulest things ever created by humanity. :x

I also hate when old people believe that they have developed some sort of wisdom after living for so long. First of all, I'd prefer to read history books instead of listening to a dated, unequivocally biased and exaggerated POV; not to mention the fact that if the old person had something important to say, then they'd be someone important.

I hate people who become rich and famous despite not having any discernible talent, like Justin Bieber, Michael Mcintyre, and most of the 'tween pop sensations' of the Disney Channel.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I hate people who become rich and famous despite not having any discernible talent, like Justin Bieber, Michael Mcintyre, and most of the 'tween pop sensations' of the Disney Channel

Don't forget Paris Hilton ;)
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

she was already rich; her father bought her fame..
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

ajmrowland wrote:she was already rich; her father bought her fame..
More like she (or rather her father) has connections.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif